Transfer to Horseshoe Bay Beach

travelling duo

You can still do the public buses if you want to save money. It's just that they have made it the less desirable option. As mentioned no more "Special" express buses. The $2 rides to the top also gone. They have buses that do the route but start after the Dockyard because they want to have seats on the buses for local commuters and they want tourists to take the minibus and taxis to bolster the private economy. So things changed this year from previous years. For us the price difference was not a lot but we don't get any children's rates so the difference was not 40%. We also always walked down the hill but often took the $2 ride up. So with $4.50 for a token we were already at $6.50 per adult per trip. For us a .50 difference from the $7 shuttles. Also we have also reached the point where we would rather not stand, we had to stand a lot on the public bus to and from Horseshoe. And with the shuttles we never had to wait at the Dockyard or at Horseshoe. That's why I say the minibus shuttles are best option for most people now but the public bus option is still there. You could have good luck and have no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the 7 bus does not even start at dockyard now? Looks like little options then, we never minded the walk down or up the hill.

Looks like we are stuck, it is what it is

So the 7 bus does not even start at dockyard now? Looks like little options then, we never minded the walk down or up the hill.

Looks like we are stuck, it is what it is

The 7 does go to the Dockyard but only starting at 8:50 am. The earlier ones are the ones that don't start there anymore. Then every 30 minutes. No more extra express buses. And they won't let those local 7 buses fill up so that local Bermuda riders can get on down the line. Eliminating the extra buses, the "Special" buses that went express is what can make the buses problematic. You will be able to get on a bus but you might have to wait 30 minutes and get on the next scheduled bus.

Edited by Charles4515

I thought the $7 was totally worth it to not have to climb back up the hill. Not sure how many, but I am thinking the $4.50 token bus has a stops to make, whereas the shuttle went right back to the pier.

On another note, we left the beach last Saturday, 7/30 at 2:15pm and we had at least a half hour wait. Someone else from our ship said they didn't have to wait at all at 3pm, but that would be cutting it too close from me.

Overall, I am impressed with the transportation system and the facilities at Horseshoe Bay Beach.

• 3 weeks later...

We are a party of 4 adults and arriving on the Anthem the first week of October 2016.

We would like to go to Horseshoe Bay and then check out Gibbs Lighthouse while we were in the area. I already know I cannot handle the hill at Horseshoe Bay, and so we were considering taking a minivan. What is the best way to get Gibbs Lighthouse from Horseshoe Bay (without climbing up the hill), and then back to the Dockyard?

btw... the other 3 in our group are climbing the Lighthouse stairs while I checkout the gift shop ;)

Thank for any recommendations/advice

Karen

We are a party of 4 adults and arriving on the Anthem the first week of October 2016.

We would like to go to Horseshoe Bay and then check out Gibbs Lighthouse while we were in the area. I already know I cannot handle the hill at Horseshoe Bay, and so we were considering taking a minivan. What is the best way to get Gibbs Lighthouse from Horseshoe Bay (without climbing up the hill), and then back to the Dockyard?

btw... the other 3 in our group are climbing the Lighthouse stairs while I checkout the gift shop ;)

Thank for any recommendations/advice

Karen

You can take a taxi to Gibbs Lighthouse from Horseshoe Bay. They pick up at the bottom of the hill. Then a taxi back from Gibbs to the Dockyard.

Thanks Charles... I know the cabs are waiting in the parking area at Horseshoe bay, but are they available at Gibbs lighthouse, or will we have to call for one?

Do you have any knowledge of what the taxi fee will be to get to the Lighthouse from Horseshoes bay?

Thanks again for the great idea :)

Edited by smiles998
mis spelling

Thanks Charles... I know the cabs are waiting in the parking area at Horseshoe bay, but are they available at Gibbs lighthouse, or will we have to call for one?

Do you have any knowledge of what the taxi fee will be to get to the Lighthouse from Horseshoes bay?

Thanks again for the great idea :)

I would estimate about $12 for the taxi from Horseshoe to Gibbs Lighthouse. If you are lucky a cab will be dropping someone off when you are ready to leave. Otherwise ask the gift shop people to call one for you. I would also talk to the driver who drops you off. They might come back for you if you pre arrange a time.

Edited by Charles4515

I would estimate about $12 for the taxi from Horseshoe to Gibbs Lighthouse. If you are lucky a cab will be dropping someone off when you are ready to leave. Otherwise ask the gift shop people to call one for you. I would also talk to the driver who drops you off. They might come back for you if you pre arrange a time.

Thanks Charles :)

Ok Charles...have another situation for you.

Arriving Monday, Oct 3rd.

4 adults, 3 kids. (7, 8, 11)

Do the mini vans to the beach charge $7 for kids?

We were thinking of taking the public bus from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay, then bus from Horseshoe to Hamilton, then ferry from Hamilton back to Dockyard.

Looking for most economical way to go....Not sure whether to buy tokens, tickets, day pass, etc?

Suggestions?

Thank you!

Ok Charles...have another situation for you.

Arriving Monday, Oct 3rd.

4 adults, 3 kids. (7, 8, 11)

Do the mini vans to the beach charge $7 for kids?

We were thinking of taking the public bus from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay, then bus from Horseshoe to Hamilton, then ferry from Hamilton back to Dockyard.

Looking for most economical way to go....Not sure whether to buy tokens, tickets, day pass, etc?

Suggestions?

Thank you!

Seven in a taxi would actually be less expensive than the minivans to Horseshoe. Would be about $43.50 for the taxi.

As for the public bus. They don't sell tickets at the Dockyard. So your options would be tokens or a pass for the public buses. For only three trips tokens would be cheaper than the pass. Tokens are $4.50 each for adults and $2.75 for the children. So that would be $26.25 for each of the three rides for the group.

Buying tokens and the taking the public buses are more economical but you should weigh the logistics. Taking taxis to Horseshoe from the Dockyard and from Horseshoe to Hamilton and the ferry back from Hamilton is going to be easier.

Edited by Charles4515

Seven in a taxi would actually be less expensive than the minivans to Horseshoe. Would be about $43.50 for the taxi.

As for the public bus. They don't sell tickets at the Dockyard. So your options would be tokens or a pass for the public buses. For only three trips tokens would be cheaper than the pass. Tokens are $4.50 each for adults and $2.75 for the children. So that would be $26.25 for each of the three rides for the group.

Buying tokens and the taking the public buses are more economical but you should weigh the logistics. Taking taxis to Horseshoe from the Dockyard and from Horseshoe to Hamilton and the ferry back from Hamilton is going to be easier.

Thanks Charles.

Too bad they don't sell tickets at Dockyard as that would be the least expensive way to go.

Appreciate the suggestion!

• 9 months later...
Can I hire any of these options to take a group of seven to the Crystal Caves? Anyone know how much? Thanks in advance.

The taxi fare for 7 passengers from the Dockyard to the caves is about $80 plus tip, weekday and Saturday travel.

You could save a little by taking the ferry (fare $4.50 pp, token) from the Dockyard to Hamilton or St George's, and from either, take a taxi to the caves. The taxi fare would be about $34 or $22, respectively, plus tip.

SBtS

Can I hire any of these options to take a group of seven to the Crystal Caves? Anyone know how much? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would suggest taking the ferry to Hamilton or St. George's and take a taxi from either of those to the caves. There are taxis that can take seven. You could take a taxi direct from the Dockyard but it will be not only a more expensive option but I think the longer taxi ride is less pleasant than the combination and also by going to Hamilton or St. George you have a nice combination day.