Scooter injuries?

deforest721

Has anyone PERSONALLY gotten injured while riding a scooter in Bermuda? All I hear is people saying that THEY hear about how dangerous it is and how there are ALWAYS cruisers getting hurt. I read this in the usual travel guides as well. "Road rash and sunburn are the two most common injuries to visitors to the island". Ok so put on sunblock and look both ways. I mean if EVERYONE who rented one got hurt wouldn't people stop?

I have never been hurt because I don't rent them;)

However, on the four cruises I have been on to Bermuda, there has been at least one injury attributed to a scooter. Usually the word spreads pretty fast because the Cruise Director always seems to point it out to everyone in one of their monologues.

Experienced motor cyclists should have little problem. The real issue is people who think that these scooters are nothing more than motorized bicycles and that they can just hop on and go. Roads are very narrow and twisting, residents pass in between traffic all the time, and your natural instincts as a driver are impaired because of the left hand driving lane.

But to each their own - busses are wonderfully cheap!

Yes, I PERSONALLY know someone that was injured in a scooter accident while in Bermuda. My cousin Carl took a tumble due to no fault of his own. Two mutts on another scooter came up along side them really fast and tried to rip his wife's handbag off of her shoulder causing him to turn the scooter over onto its side. He broke his wrist and had a nice burn on his leg from coming in contact with a hot muffler pipe.

I rode a scooter in Bermuda for 2 years (never having ridden before) and did not have an accident.

Accidents involving scooters are really not that common (when you consider how many are on the roads). They usually fall in to 2 catergories - residents driving home drunk (more commong than the following) or very very occasionally tourists being unlucky.

The roads are perfectly safe - if you are careful and abide by the rules of the road.

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin SidneyofEaster I hope he's ok now. A tip for others - there is lockable storage under the seat put all bags in there - never in the baskets or on your shoulder.

On our last cruise to Bermuda I personally saw two accidents. Lots of road rash and two totaled scooters. The folks I saw should not have been on scooters or bikes for that matter. Both accidents happened when the people were going to fast around a curve, they did not know how to lean and the speed took them off the road into bushes and trees. Their was also at least one person who did not make it back to the US on the ship. They had broken bones from their crash and were still in the hospital.

If your going to ride, know what your doing and ride safe. I've ridden motorcycles for 30 years and still won't rent a scooter in Bermuda. Something about being tailgated by at 15000lb bus scares the hell out of me

Years ago my DW was on a scooter and fell when a truck crept up on her around a bend in the road hit loose gravel and a coral wall...this was before we met and she shows me the scars all the time when we talk about Bermuda. My older brother had fallen off a scooter there as well when a car came around a bend but that was in the '70s so don't remember any injuries if any.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Forums mobile app

I've been injured riding a scooter, and I'm a local who had been riding them for 16+ years when it happened. Riding home from work in the pouring rain. Someone stopped short in front of me, I hit the brakes a little too hard and went flying, cushioning my falling bike with my leg. Came out with a nice assortment of scrapes and bruises all over my body, a subluxation of my right shoulder (which I still have problems with, years later) and a broken foot. I was very lucky, my injuries were pretty minor compared to what others have experienced.

Also, as a local, I have helped many a tourist who I have seen slide out on a corner, ride into walls, leaving most of the skin on their legs behind and one poor fella even rode right through a wooden barrier fence trying to negotiate a turn by Flatts Village. The bushes saved him from ending up in the ocean.

On our last cruise to Bermuda I personally saw two accidents. Lots of road rash and two totaled scooters. The folks I saw should not have been on scooters or bikes for that matter. Both accidents happened when the people were going to fast around a curve, they did not know how to lean and the speed took them off the road into bushes and trees. Their was also at least one person who did not make it back to the US on the ship. They had broken bones from their crash and were still in the hospital.

If your going to ride, know what your doing and ride safe. I've ridden motorcycles for 30 years and still won't rent a scooter in Bermuda. Something about being tailgated by at 15000lb bus scares the hell out of me

Yes, and the busses go fast around curves.

We just got back and on our bus ride back from Horseshoe Bay we saw a scooter under a car. Fire and ambulance were there. They were pulling a guy out from under the car. He appeared to be awake and possible a Bermudian. The roads are very windy, very narrow, no room for error and you have cars, buses and cabs passing you when they can. You are also riding on the opposite side of the road if you are from the US. It can be very confusing. I would bus it.The bus drivers were very helpful, it might take a little longer to get where you are going but I would not want to spend my time in the ER on my vacation.

25 years ago this week my husband n I were honeymooning on Bermuda when another couple honeymooning from NJ were killed on a scooter. News got back to nj and family was worried. It happens!! Most people can't figure out the driving on the opposite side. Plus I know of another couple that was mugged about 10 yrs ago while they were riding their moped to a beach

What's there to say Zigggypup? It seems like renting a scooter in Bermuda is one of the most dangerous things a person can do in the whole wide world. I was hoping to hear from people who had rented one and made it off the island without getting hurt but apparently there are very few. It seems that the vast majority of people get injured. I still can't understand why anyone rents them if there is such a high likelihood of getting seriously injured but I guess I will find out myself. Feel free to send me some flowers in the hospital.

I rode a scooter in Bermuda for 2 years (never having ridden before) and did not have an accident.

Accidents involving scooters are really not that common (when you consider how many are on the roads). They usually fall in to 2 catergories - residents driving home drunk (more commong than the following) or very very occasionally tourists being unlucky.

The roads are perfectly safe - if you are careful and abide by the rules of the road.

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin SidneyofEaster I hope he's ok now. A tip for others - there is lockable storage under the seat put all bags in there - never in the baskets or on your shoulder.

I would like to believe that this is the case. As for their cousin, once again a case of someone becoming an easy target while in another country. Need to keep your wits about you and use common sense. Of course that could have happened anywhere. I also have a feeling that most of the accidents involving tourists are probably caused by the same people who drive so poorly while here in the good old USofA. If you can't drive well enough in your hometown, don't attempt to do so in a foreign land.

What's there to say Zigggypup? It seems like renting a scooter in Bermuda is one of the most dangerous things a person can do in the whole wide world. I was hoping to hear from people who had rented one and made it off the island without getting hurt but apparently there are very few. It seems that the vast majority of people get injured. I still can't understand why anyone rents them if there is such a high likelihood of getting seriously injured but I guess I will find out myself. Feel free to send me some flowers in the hospital.

Well I am renting one in September. Hopefully I will make it back in one piece. It's a little smaller than my Goldwing, but I will try not to drop it. Let us know about the flowers and which hospital you are in. I'll also send along some Godiva chocolates. That is assuming that your jaw isn't wired shut.........lol. Just messing with ya. Have fun.

Let us know about the flowers and which hospital you are in. I'll also send along some Godiva chocolates. That is assuming that your jaw isn't wired shut.........lol. Just messing with ya. Have fun.
Funny chit! :D

You seem to have the attitude that it is wrong to warn people that some cruisers have been injured. Of course the vast majority don't get injured. None said that. Most who rent won't get hurt. Those of us who have cruised to Bermuda, I have been ten times, have seen accidents, near misses, and have seen people who have been injured. I also know someone who broke her pelvis. It is only a few who get hurt but it is not rare that people get hurt who rent them. Since this is the Bermuda port board it should be mentioned that some have been injured. Then people can make their own informed decision about renting a scooter.

You seem to have the attitude that it is wrong to warn people that some cruisers have been injured. Of course the vast majority don't get injured. None said that. Most who rent won't get hurt. Those of us who have cruised to Bermuda, I have been ten times, have seen accidents, near misses, and have seen people who have been injured. I also know someone who broke her pelvis. It is only a few who get hurt but it is not rare that people get hurt who rent them. Since this is the Bermuda port board it should be mentioned that some have been injured. Then people can make their own informed decision about renting a scooter.

Charles pretty well summed up the situation.

I would like to believe that this is the case. As for their cousin, once again a case of someone becoming an easy target while in another country. Need to keep your wits about you and use common sense. Of course that could have happened anywhere. I also have a feeling that most of the accidents involving tourists are probably caused by the same people who drive so poorly while here in the good old USofA. If you can't drive well enough in your hometown, don't attempt to do so in a foreign land.

A feeling is neither here nor there and holds no water in this discussion. There are any number of posters here who have been to Bermuda numerous times, well into the double digits and we've seen it all.

I have friends who were on a scooter, good drivers BTW, going along minding there own business as well as the roads when a truck came around a bend WELL into their lane. They had nowhere to go except into the hard, craggy, sharp wall. There are no shoulders to seek some modicum of safety. Their injuries were not serious but enough to suffer the effects of them for months.

I also have 3 different groups of friends who fly in, stay for a week or even two weeks and use nothing but the scooters. So far, none have had any injuries but they eased into it by learning their way around the island first and not driving their brains out the first time on a scooter on unknown narrow, twisting roads with buses and sometime impatient locals breathing up their tail pipe.

It would be a disservice for people to post that they are perfectly safe and without any risk. You seem to have made up your mind that you're going to rent scooters, your choice of course. Will you get injured? Probably not, however, the possibility does exist.

Pardon me, I should have asked people to reply with posts about POSITIVE experiences renting scooters in Bermuda. The last thread I saw regarding renting a scooter was replied to with almost nothing but negative ones. I feel that it would be a shame for someone to miss out on what could be a thrilling experience because they were scared out of it. My wife keeps hearing horror stories and I am trying to show her the reality of it. I am not an optimist nor a pessimist. Just as riding a motorcycle or cliff diving there are inherent dangers. I suppose that not everyone is a risk taker. I for one do not even consider this to be that much of a risk but everyone has a line they will not cross.

I read this in the usual travel guides as well. "Road rash and sunburn are the two most common injuries to visitors to the island". Ok so put on sunblock and look both ways.

You have absolutely discounted and ignored how much the role of instinct can play a part in keeping someone safe. If you are from the US, and you have a split second on the roads to react to something, you are going to react instinctively as someone who has been driving on the right all of his/her life. You are not going to have time to be thinking "oh, they drive on the left here..."

The roads in Bermuda are narrow, without shoulders, hilly, and twisty. There's lots of traffic, and, as others have noted, lots of tailgating by big buses. Add to this that Americans will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Many will do fine renting scooters, but your post wrongly, almost mockingly, gives short shrift to legitimate concerns.

You have absolutely discounted and ignored how much the role of instinct can play a part in keeping someone safe. If you are from the US, and you have a split second on the roads to react to something, you are going to react instinctively as someone who has been driving on the right all of his/her life. You are not going to have time to be thinking "oh, they drive on the left here..."

The roads in Bermuda are narrow, without shoulders, hilly, and twisty. There's lots of traffic, and, as others have noted, lots of tailgating by big buses. Add to this that Americans will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Many will do fine renting scooters, but your post wrongly, almost mockingly, gives short shrift to legitimate concerns.

And you have made the assumption that is how I, or anybody else for that matter, will handle whatever situation comes up. Once again it comes down to ability, common sense, and attentiveness. I'm not going to guarantee that something won't happen any more than you can guarantee it will. To be fair I would like to see more people who were successful in their endeavor. As I'm sure the percentage of accident victims would be less than one or two out of a hundred.

What one man can do, another man can.

And in the US, anyone who rides a motorcycle should always have an "out" whether that means moving to the right side OR left. I don't quite follow when folks tend to think one would instinctively turn right.

One thing for certain. Bermuda would not be the best place to rent a scooter if you've never rode a 2-wheel motorized scooter before.

And here's something to consider if you are injured: Expenses for any medical treatment in Bermuda can be exorbitantly high, and they want payment immediately. There is a no free treatment provision in Bermuda and any hospitalization is very expensive, far more than in the US or UK. I would seriously suggest you invest in trip insurance that will cover not only medical expenses when out of the U.S., but also medical evacuation back home.

Archived