Union Leader Warns Tourists of a transportation disaster at Dockyard

njhorseman

Going in two weeks so will see first hand. I do wonder why they chose to make a change in the middle of the season. Also wonder if they communicated the new system when it first started to Breakaway and Summit so they could inform passengers.

I don't see any complaints coming from the taxi owners ;)

If you are a party of 2, try to find an other party of 2 how would like to share a taxi to the beach. The cost would be the same as the new shuttle.

Even with all the money that the tourist industry brings to the Island, it is not the #1 economy of the Island...the Government just acted accordingly to that...no consultation, no warning, no nothing...

It was probably a move in a strategy :confused: in the public transport/government issue...

I don't see any complaints coming from the taxi owners ;)

If you are a party of 2, try to find an other party of 2 how would like to share a taxi to the beach. The cost would be the same as the new shuttle.

Even with all the money that the tourist industry brings to the Island, it is not the #1 economy of the Island...the Government just acted accordingly to that...no consultation, no warning, no nothing...

It was probably a move in a strategy :confused: in the public transport/government issue...

Well I hope they find a happy medium and bring the Express Busses back in addition to the shuttles. (Or ditch the shuttles)

Can you take the shuttle one way or must you pay for a round trip? I just really hate the thought of paying twice as much as the bus fare just for a ride to the beach. I would also like to be able to go to other places before or after the beach.

Edited by peg013

Well I hope they find a happy medium and bring the Express Busses back in addition to the shuttles. (Or ditch the shuttles)

Can you take the shuttle one way or must you pay for a round trip? I just really hate the thought of paying twice as much as the bus fare just for a ride to the beach. I would also like to be able to go to other places before or after the beach.

It sounds like you have to pay $16 for the round trip (that's the only price they've mentioned).

I said this before, in another thread, and it was echoed in the article--why was this started mid-summer? Why not either this past May or wait until next May?

I will be there Sunday and can report back around August 22 or 23. I'm guessing, though, that the larger issue is probably for the Breakaway when they dock on Wednesdays, since last Wednesday was a big problem as well.

Still no mention of a kid's fare, which makes this less attractive to families.

were there last week. They chose NOT to communicate this to cruise passengers. The first day out was a disaster. long lines etc. we ended up taking a taxi AFTER we bought our 3 day passes. They took everyones money for the passes at the window and never said a word about bus problems!! the last day we made sure we were the first ones out waiting for bus. had we known we would have just done taxi all 3 days.

He's not exactly thrilled with the new beach shuttle service.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140813/NEWS/140819894

Just for balance:

Regardless of the delays started by this change, where was Furbert's "concern" for the visitors when he ordered last minute BIU shutdowns that affected the bus AND the ferry every time he wants to have a meeting or he gets ticked at Government over something foolish? The shuttle buses have had delays and long lines also, but since BIU members were in the drivers' seat it was never a problem with him.

Or this :

http://bernews.com/2014/08/tourism-and-transport-minister-visits-dockyard/

I think they have their head in the sand...

"Taxi drivers... are positive about the change". Geez of course they are, many folks are rushing towards taxi to skip the 2 hour wait time...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Just for balance:

Regardless of the delays started by this change, where was Furbert's "concern" for the visitors when he ordered last minute BIU shutdowns that affected the bus AND the ferry every time he wants to have a meeting or he gets ticked at Government over something foolish? The shuttle buses have had delays and long lines also, but since BIU members were in the drivers' seat it was never a problem with him.

Exactly! We were affected by the "union meeting" that was called for 10am on Friday, June 1, 2012 that effectively cheated us out of our 3rd day of our transportation passes. Funny how they always wait until the passes are purchased before they announce these changes........ :rolleyes:

Just for balance:

But of course. Furbert is always conveniently absent minded about the transportation disruptions that have caused by many of their "meetings" and job actions taken over the years. This was a clever way by the government to work around his union's nonsense, but unfortunately they did a lousy job of planning and caused just as much disruption as a union job action when the new beach shuttle was introduced.

I was shocked when we were told we could not board the #7 bus at Dockyard as it was for locals only on my last visit in July !!! :eek: We had to take a special bus to Horseshoe then get a transfer for a #7 to Warwick Bay .

Edited by biker@sea

I was shocked when we were told we could not board the #7 bus at Dockyard as it was for locals only on my last visit in July !!! :eek: We had to take a special bus to Horseshoe then get a transfer for a #7 to Warwick Bay .

Yikes! How early of a bus were you trying to get? All of a sudden Bermuda's transportation system is really starting to suck! What other surprises do they have in mind for us? It used to be easy. Pick a 1, 2 or 3 day pass and go where ever you want......now we'll be lucky to get out of the Dockyard and if we do we'll be paying double or more for the privilege. :mad:

Yikes! How early of a bus were you trying to get? All of a sudden Bermuda's transportation system is really starting to suck! What other surprises do they have in mind for us? It used to be easy. Pick a 1, 2 or 3 day pass and go where ever you want......now we'll be lucky to get out of the Dockyard and if we do we'll be paying double or more for the privilege. :mad:

Sunday when we arrived .

I was shocked when we were told we could not board the #7 bus at Dockyard as it was for locals only on my last visit in July !!! :eek: We had to take a special bus to Horseshoe then get a transfer for a #7 to Warwick Bay

Now there is no special bus (I'm guessing you meant the express bus to Horseshoe.) I wonder if this will happen to us on Sunday as well.

Now there is no special bus (I'm guessing you meant the express bus to Horseshoe.) I wonder if this will happen to us on Sunday as well.

The sign on express bus stated "Special", so the two were one and the same. Some people called it the "express", some the "special".

Edited by njhorseman

The sign on express bus stated "Special", so the two were one and the same. Some people called it the "express", some the "special".

I figured as much. Just wondering if they'll turn people away from the local bus since there is no alternative public (express/special) bus now.

I do appreciate your links/updates regarding this situation. Thank you.

I figured as much. Just wondering if they'll turn people away from the local bus since there is no alternative public (express/special) bus now.

I do appreciate your links/updates regarding this situation. Thank you.

Please come back and update all of us that are going after you when you return. I really hope they get it straightened out and you don't have any problems. Bon Voyage!

Bermuda still has a great transportation system, the problem arose when only large ships were being sent to Bermuda and the only docking that would accomodate them was the Dockyard thus releasing thousands of people into an area that cannot move the masses quickly enough.

When the ships were docking througout Bermuda (Hamilton, St George, Dockyard) transportation was rarely an issue. The bigger the ships that come in --- well you know the rest --- just look at the pictures.

Bermuda still has a great transportation system' date=' the problem arose when only large ships were being sent to Bermuda and the only docking that would accomodate them was the Dockyard thus releasing thousands of people into an area that cannot move the masses quickly enough.

When the ships were docking througout Bermuda (Hamilton, St George, Dockyard) transportation was rarely an issue. The bigger the ships that come in --- well you know the rest --- just look at the pictures.[/quote']

Actually without the Express Special Busses - it's not a great system anymore. They moved people all last year and this year just fine WITH the Express Busses. Now they decided to pull this crap last week. :mad:

Actually without the Express Special Busses - it's not a great system anymore. They moved people all last year and this year just fine WITH the Express Busses. Now they decided to pull this crap last week. :mad:

I agree totally. The SPECIAL bus to the south shore beaches were very convenient when we were there in the first week if July.

Don't like the sound of these new shuttles at all.

We want to go again next June.

Looking forward to any updates from future cruisers.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I agree. The old system worked...and it was cheaper for the tourists. We were there last year in early October with both the Breakaway and Explorer of the Seas (the two largest ships that call on Bermuda) in port together Wed - Fri and everyone got to where they wanted to go. The most strained part of the system was the ferry to St. George, not the buses to the beach.

The new systems smacks of political retribution. Government is tired of dealing with the union's nonsense and this system totally puts the union out of the picture.

We never took a bus/shuttle/special to Horseshoe so I can't speak to how well it works. This will be our first time docking at Kings Wharf/ Dockyard. We've always docked in Hamilton and took a taxi, wasn't cost prohibitive and took us right to the beach. Watching and reading about all the delays and aggravation, I'm making other plans for getting to other beaches, I'm on vacation to enjoy things!

We never took a bus/shuttle/special to Horseshoe so I can't speak to how well it works. This will be our first time docking at Kings Wharf/ Dockyard. We've always docked in Hamilton and took a taxi' date=' wasn't cost prohibitive and took us right to the beach. Watching and reading about all the delays and aggravation, I'm making other plans for getting to other beaches, I'm on vacation to enjoy things![/quote']

I don't know how many you are in your party, but if you are 2 you could easily find 2 other pax to share and split a taxi ( same cost as the new shuttle ). If you are more then 2, the cost would be almost the same for your entire party with a taxi VS the shuttle.

You could experience 2 hour wait to get on the local #7 bus to ANY of the south shore beach...unless you take the ferry to Hamilton and then the bus to Elbow Beach. For the other beaches like Warwick or the others on the "5 beach path", you are better off getting a taxi to them ( or Horseshoe and walk to them ).

Unless you plan on Black Bay beach, you will have to get a taxi or a shuttle...

Enjoy !