Down payment money on cruise

Beafal

I have paid $300 on a cruise )

(Down payment) now the cruise has gone down in price and they won't give that price to me because they say down payment is non refundable. Have never heard of this please help

If you booked on Princess, under the red, white and blue sale, then that's my understanding of how it works. Down payment is non-refundable and non-transferable. I had to give that a long, hard think before booking that.

Yup. Some deposits are nonrefundable.

If the savings of the new fare is substantially more than your $300 deposit, then just walk away from your original booking and rebook with the cheaper fare. People do it quite often.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

It would help to know the cruise line and type of fare you booked, as booking rules can very greatly.

It would also help to know if you are in US or maybe in UK? My understanding is that in UK all deposits are non-refundable.

I have paid $300 on a cruise )

(Down payment) now the cruise has gone down in price and they won't give that price to me because they say down payment is non refundable. Have never heard of this please help

Your down payment locked in a fare which you (and the cruise line) were happy with. It is understandable that you do not like being locked into it - but suppose the prices had gone the other way -- would you have been happy if the line refunded your deposit so they could sell the cabin at a higher price - or you could book at a higher price?

If they really failed to disclose the terms of the deal, you have an argument - otherwise, you get what you pay for.

:mad:😡It was holland america and they claim it was a promo. I booked thru AAA but the promo really did not give any special perks I'll never do it again. Actually I did not make the reservations I would have never agreed to that. It was my friend who can't wait for anything!!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, sorry for your experience. Too bad you didn't find this site several months ago. It is a font of information about all aspects of this subject.

Side point that took me a little while to learn when I was new....you can say you used a Travel Agent (or TA), but it is not allowed to actually name the Travel Agency.

OP should be able to get the new promo rate , before Final , if they qualify for it .

Non Refund ability of the deposit only affects cancelations .

Some times the new promo states " for new bookings only" but a good TA generally can get around that .

Pressure that TA a bit .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe you can call Holland directly and see what they say?

They won't talk to u if u have gone through a travel agent so pretty much u have to take the travel agents word for it. Will never do it again! I will make my own reservations because I know what I should ask! My mistake letting someone else do it!

They won't talk to u if u have gone through a travel agent so pretty much u have to take the travel agents word for it. Will never do it again! I will make my own reservations because I know what I should ask! My mistake letting someone else do it!

Yes, this happens frequently when somebody sees some promotion but doesn't pay attention to the asterisks or fine print beneath that promotional price. Your mistake was looking at the prices after you were locked in. What good could have come of it? As others have mentioned the terms were OK with you and your traveling partner at the time.

Now that you're locked into the cruise I hope that does not prevent you from enjoying it.