Are We in Trouble?

sevenseasnomad

Thanks everyone for your help.

We sailed in December on the Oosterdam and requested a wheelchair for my friend's husband. It took awhile for them to check in and even longer for the wheelchair. My friend rented a wheelchair on the ship. It was so heavy and difficult to maneuver. The worst was disembarking the ship. They only used 2 wheelchairs. I even told the guy in charge that there was a wheelchair right where we were waiting. He said that he did not have enough personnel to man the wheelchairs. We finally just left but on the way to the terminal we ran into a wheelchair attendant and pleaded with him to take our friend to the customs area. We saw several people who had their own walker/wheelchair combo. They looked real easy to roll.

I would try to rent something like that or even buy one- much better than relying on HAL.

• 10 months later...

After reading this thread, I'm confused about wheelchair assistance.

Just got off the phone with the accessibility people. Standing for a long time can be a problem for DH, and I'm concerned about the possibility of steep gangways. He can walk uphill, but slowly. So I thought wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation would be a good idea. As HAL captains like to say, "in an abundance of caution."

Our TA did the request, and then I got the email asking me to fill out the form. I did that, clicked submit, and got a message that it couldn't be submitted. OK, plan B was the email address in HAL's email. Sent an email explaining what I wanted and asking if they needed more info. Bounced back as undeliverable.

So, plan C, I found the number to call Compliance. The man seemed pretty vague. Yes, the request was there n our booking. Said he would fill out the form for me, but didn't ask any of the questions that were on the form. What I got out of that conversation is that we check in as usual (standing/walking), go to the waiting area (again, on our steam), and the wheelchair assistance people will get us from there when it's time. He said the assistance would only be across the gangway, nothing in the terminal. He also said that there isn't a separate waiting area for passengers needing assistance. This is not what I've observed in the past. But I can't swear to my memory as we've never asked for assistance before.

So for anyone who's had wheelchair assistance in Fort Lauderdale, is it really the way this man said?

After reading this thread, I'm confused about wheelchair assistance.

Just got off the phone with the accessibility people. Standing for a long time can be a problem for DH, and I'm concerned about the possibility of steep gangways. He can walk uphill, but slowly. So I thought wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation would be a good idea. As HAL captains like to say, "in an abundance of caution."

Our TA did the request, and then I got the email asking me to fill out the form. I did that, clicked submit, and got a message that it couldn't be submitted. OK, plan B was the email address in HAL's email. Sent an email explaining what I wanted and asking if they needed more info. Bounced back as undeliverable.

So, plan C, I found the number to call Compliance. The man seemed pretty vague. Yes, the request was there n our booking. Said he would fill out the form for me, but didn't ask any of the questions that were on the form. What I got out of that conversation is that we check in as usual (standing/walking), go to the waiting area (again, on our steam), and the wheelchair assistance people will get us from there when it's time. He said the assistance would only be across the gangway, nothing in the terminal. He also said that there isn't a separate waiting area for passengers needing assistance. This is not what I've observed in the past. But I can't swear to my memory as we've never asked for assistance before.

So for anyone who's had wheelchair assistance in Fort Lauderdale, is it really the way this man said?

At our last embarkation in FLL for the Veendam, there was a special assisted wheel chair line right next to the 4-5 star Neptune suites embarakion line to point there was confusion over which line to be in.

This special assistance line was manned by the FLL embarkation staff. I got the impression there was full follow-through for those with assistance needs. Sorry you had so many disconnects about this operation from HAL.

I had not thought this was a problem but now think I need to verify. I use a mobility scooter for long distances and a walker for short. I had not planned on filling out assistance forms because I'm pretty used to getting myself around. I'm now wondering if I should fill out the forms anyway even though I don't anticipate any issues. My traveling companion uses a walker for longer distances, do we need separate forms or can we both be listed on the same form? We are in a Neptune suite so already some priority areas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You and your traveling companion should complete your own forrms. They are not lengrhy or hard to complete.

I had not thought this was a problem but now think I need to verify. I use a mobility scooter for long distances and a walker for short. I had not planned on filling out assistance forms because I'm pretty used to getting myself around. I'm now wondering if I should fill out the forms anyway even though I don't anticipate any issues. My traveling companion uses a walker for longer distances, do we need separate forms or can we both be listed on the same form? We are in a Neptune suite so already some priority areas. Sent from my iPad using Forums
You and your traveling companion should complete your own forrms. They are not lengthy or hard to complete. There is really no good rreason to share one form. IMO

The embarkation in San Diego was easy, waiting to get on the ship was hard. The staff at the pier assisted my mom until after had check in and were brought to a waiting area. From there the Stewards brought chairs and pushed my mom until we arrived to out room.

Debarking, when we were inside the terminal, someone else pushed my mom. The waiter from Pinnacle handed the chair over simply.

I was kind of worried about embarkation and debarkation, it was easier than Vancouver.