Anyone ever get left behind in port?

gkrnjlr

You are resposible for getting yourself home. Hopefully you have a passport because otherwise it is a hassle.

Oh, I've not been left behind and don't plan to but I've wondered what people do if they get left behind. For example...in Nassau there are so many ships in port I wonder if Carnival would be accommodating and put them on another ship.

I'd love to hear some of the stories from people who were left behind, but I'm sure embarrassment will keep a lot of them from posting (I'm sure there have to be a few on CC). I'd really like to know how they handled it.

We have not but a couple at the next dining room table did in Jamaica. They booked a private excursion and coming back their taxi had a flat tire and was late getting back to the ship. If you have ever been to Montego Bay you know how horrific the traffic can be on the way back to the ship. They had to get a private boat to take them to Grand Cayman, our next port.

I'd love to hear some of the stories from people who were left behind, but I'm sure embarrassment will keep a lot of them from posting (I'm sure there have to be a few on CC). I'd really like to know how they handled it.

My thoughts exactly - I wouldn't admit to it ever on CC if I was to be one of the ones left behind.

Last year in Nassau a young couple missed their Carnival ship, but were taken on by our Carnival ship. The young woman was pregnant, so perhaps the authorities were more sympathetic.

The couple had only bathing suits & swim coverups, no real clothes. I felt so sorry for them.

Why would people be ashamed to admit to getting left behind? Mistakes happen. Time slipped away.... Took a private excursion.... ???

That had to stink to have nothing but a bathing suit and coverup for the remainder of the cruise - on a different ship! At least Carnival helped them.

We were on a ship sponsored excursion in Calica and the ship was waiting for us. There was one couple who did not make it back on the bus for the tour - no clue what happened to them.

:cool:Back in 2006 I was on the Imagination at Grand Cayman, we were on the tender boat heading back to the ship, I was sittin next to the tender Captain and listening to his two way radio and there were 2 people who missed the Fascination which we could see in the distance, anyway the Captain on Fascination comes on the radio and says just let the two people on our ship because we were both headed to Cozumel!! Lucky them!!:) I don't know what would have happened if we weren't going to the same port!!:confused:

My greatest fear is being left behind. Hate to hear that whistle blow and frantically ask everyone that not our ship is it?? They always laugh and say no its the so and so leaving Port now. I do NOT take my pass port off with me and should, do not know what would happen if I needed it and left behind. I am sure I would end up in Hospital long before I could figure out a way home. Have seen people left and have seen Ship pull back in and take a man on. Have also seen a small boat come out and couple got on like the Port Pilot does down below. I think the time difference and excursions are mostly to blame. I do not do many excursions for that very reason. So in hopes never to be left behind. In fact at Sail Away people always watch that are on dock side to see the stragglers come home. Many times some barely make it and have to run for it or golf cart comes wheeling them up and a loud cheer goes up. I always make it a habit to be back on board one hour before sail away. Am constantly amazed at how casually some stroll back on VERY late with attendants waving them to hurry up for all gear is up but the ramp. As soon as they board they pull it in and we sail away. Tell me if I should have Pass Port in Ports always afraid of losing it while off.

We have taken both Carnival and private excursions and always have in the back of our heads, what if we don't get back in time. I wonder if Carnival would leave if they had a large number of people on a non Carnival excursion that didnt get back. We were in Grand Cayman last year, can't remember what the other ship was but it was to leave an hour before we were to depart. There were people on our excursion from that ship, we were late getting to our Carnival excursion and the excursion operators stayed for the full length of the excursion making people that were on the other ship very late. There were people standing there when we finally got back getting everyone from the other ship to a special line to hurry them to a waiting tender to get the to their ship. After seeing that happen it makes us even more leary about taking non Carnival excurions, if it hadn't been, all those people could have been left behind.

My greatest fear is being left behind. Hate to hear that whistle blow and frantically ask everyone that not our ship is it?? They always laugh and say no its the so and so leaving Port now. I do NOT take my pass port off with me and should, do not know what would happen if I needed it and left behind. I am sure I would end up in Hospital long before I could figure out a way home. Have seen people left and have seen Ship pull back in and take a man on. Have also seen a small boat come out and couple got on like the Port Pilot does down below. I think the time difference and excursions are mostly to blame. I do not do many excursions for that very reason. So in hopes never to be left behind. In fact at Sail Away people always watch that are on dock side to see the stragglers come home. Many times some barely make it and have to run for it or golf cart comes wheeling them up and a loud cheer goes up. I always make it a habit to be back on board one hour before sail away. Am constantly amazed at how casually some stroll back on VERY late with attendants waving them to hurry up for all gear is up but the ramp. As soon as they board they pull it in and we sail away. Tell me if I should have Pass Port in Ports always afraid of losing it while off.

I am always worried about loosing the passports in port as well. So I have made copies of the picture page of our passports and laminated them. I carry the copies with me into ports. I don't know if this will work if I should ever miss the boat, but, at least I have something.

We have taken both Carnival and private excursions and always have in the back of our heads, what if we don't get back in time. I wonder if Carnival would leave if they had a large number of people on a non Carnival excursion that didnt get back. We were in Grand Cayman last year, can't remember what the other ship was but it was to leave an hour before we were to depart. There were people on our excursion from that ship, we were late getting to our Carnival excursion and the excursion operators stayed for the full length of the excursion making people that were on the other ship very late. There were people standing there when we finally got back getting everyone from the other ship to a special line to hurry them to a waiting tender to get the to their ship. After seeing that happen it makes us even more leary about taking non Carnival excurions, if it hadn't been, all those people could have been left behind.

We almost always take non carnival excursions but make sure the excursions will get us back to the ship at least 90 minutes beofre sail date.

Also make sure to check out the tour operator on ports of call to make sure they have a good record.

We did a large family Christmas cruise one year, for my children and grandchildren it was their first cruise and they will honestly admit that they were tired of hearing me talk about returning to the ship on time throughout the months leading up to the cruise. On our first day again I remind them that we will be in port tomorrow and it is a short day, they were all booked on Carnival excursions and they need to be back to the ship an hour before sailing. Of course I get the mocking "Sure Mom". Post excursion two out of our three families meet up with us for drinks prior to boarding, at the table beside us is a family with two daughters that want to have their hair braided before going back to their ship. The wife says "no" we don't have time and the husband says "yes" we have plenty of time and a small fight in sues with the husband winning, so off they go. We later meet up with them as we are walking the dock to our ship only they are running and yelling at their ship to stop. Sure enough their ship is pulling out of port and it is not slowing down or returning. My children just looked at me and for the first time there was complete silence broken with nervous laughter. We board the ship and are on our balcony when my husband asks the boys if they have seen their sister, there she was running to the ship on the second horn yelling at her husband about allowing their daughter to stop and get her hair braided. They pulled the gang plank back out for them but they also got a stern warning from the crew, sometimes Mom knows best.

Edited by dbrucern

Why would people be ashamed to admit to getting left behind? Mistakes happen. Time slipped away.... Took a private excursion.... ???

That had to stink to have nothing but a bathing suit and coverup for the remainder of the cruise - on a different ship! At least Carnival helped them.

We were on a ship sponsored excursion in Calica and the ship was waiting for us. There was one couple who did not make it back on the bus for the tour - no clue what happened to them.

They probably met their ship at the next port. I don't think they'd take you someplace else.

We have taken both Carnival and private excursions and always have in the back of our heads, what if we don't get back in time.
e

Me, too.

In Istanbul, we had a group of about 15-20 that were on a private excursion....heading back to the ship after an amazing day, we found out how horrendous Istanbul traffic can be. I worried, but we made it in time. In fact, the ship was late in leaving because another excursion (I assume it was a Carnival excursion) was late in returning and the ship waited.

So happy they, did, too. We were on the deck, watching for the last tour buses to arrive in the port, and the sun began to set....lights began to turn on all over the hillsides and the call to prayer began to be broadcast over the loudspeakers all over the city, just as a light mist -- not quite a rain -- began to fall.

It was magical.

:cool:Back in 2006 I was on the Imagination at Grand Cayman, we were on the tender boat heading back to the ship, I was sittin next to the tender Captain and listening to his two way radio and there were 2 people who missed the Fascination which we could see in the distance, anyway the Captain on Fascination comes on the radio and says just let the two people on our ship because we were both headed to Cozumel!! Lucky them!!:) I don't know what would have happened if we weren't going to the same port!!:confused:

wow, that's interesting. I wonder if they were able to use their S&S cards to get drinks and things from the shops, if necessary. do you know?

I am always worried about loosing the passports in port as well. So I have made copies of the picture page of our passports and laminated them. I carry the copies with me into ports. I don't know if this will work if I should ever miss the boat, but, at least I have something.

I do exactly the same thing! Thankfully, the theory has never been tested for us *knock wood* but I figure if i have he photocopies of the original pages of the PP with the PP pictures and dept of state ids for each of us right on it, it will be faster for them to confirm their validity and get us moving without the need to carry them and worry about losing them, or god forbid, having them stolen.

I do exactly the same thing! Thankfully, the theory has never been tested for us *knock wood* but I figure if i have he photocopies of the original pages of the PP with the PP pictures and dept of state ids for each of us right on it, it will be faster for them to confirm their validity and get us moving without the need to carry them and worry about losing them, or god forbid, having them stolen.

people who steal, ie. pickpockets, don't go for passports. they want cash, watches, cameras, credit cards. i would be more worried about having them stolen. just don't put your important stuff in a purse, wallet, or carry-all. use a neck wallet, or an inside pocket. don't carry anything in a hip pocket.

We were pulling out of Nassau a few years ago when two of the crew came running down the dock waving in panic.

They talked the Pilot boat operator into letting them come out with him, and got back onto the ship.

I didn't see the guys after that, so at the last port, I asked the Staff Captain what happened to them. He smiled and said "They went home."

I am pretty sure they were fired and put off at the next port to find their way home.

Edited by swedish weave

we were late getting to our Carnival excursion and the excursion operators stayed for the full length of the excursion making people that were on the other ship very late. There were people standing there when we finally got back getting everyone from the other ship to a special line to hurry them to a waiting tender to get the to their ship. After seeing that happen it makes us even more leary about taking non Carnival excurions, if it hadn't been, all those people could have been left behind.

I think you are missing the point. If it had been a non-Carnival excursion, the tour operators would have done everything possible to be back on time, including shortening the tour. After all, their livelihood depends upon their reputation. Not that accidents do not happen, but admitting your Carnival tour made no effort to be back on time and then saying this makes you leary of non-Carnival tours? I don't get it.

people who steal, ie. pickpockets, don't go for passports. ...

:eek: sorry, not true. There are many parts of the world where they steal passports/ID documents/drivers licenses etc. Anything official that can be sold and used by illegals/fraudsters. That is why governments are continually upgrading these documents so that they can catch the people who are using the old stolen/fraudulent ones.

It is my understanding that leaving passengers behind is not done without consideration. Paging of passengers that have not been recorded coming aboard is performed. With no response the cabins are checked.

If it is determined that the people are not aboard the crew will go to the cabins and check the safe for passports. If they are present they will be left at the dock with the cruiseline agent (usually listed on the daily).