Would a 7 night cruise on Balmoral suit our 19 and 20 year olds?

AJ28

We are looking for a seven night cruise in July and have seen one on Balmoral (never been with Fred before).

The ports are new to us, which is what attracted us to the cruise. However, we are hoping to take our kids who will be 'adults' aged 19 and 20. Will they be in a minority on the ship? We usually go on RCI, Princess, P&O, Celebrity, and it will be the first time they won't qualify for kids clubs.

There are a couple of P&O ones we have looked at; one on Ventura one on Adonia (adult only).

No experience with Fred, can anyone advise?

Thanks.

AJ

We have done a few Fred cruises which we have thoroughly enjoyed. However, If I was to be honest, I would think they will be bored. I have seen very few children on the Fred cruises we have done and those I have seen have been younger. Fred doesn't really cater for young adults of their age. I think they would be bored.

Hi cruised with Fred, RCI, P and O, Thomson and HAL.

The simple answer, in my opinion, to your question is no.

We love Fred and is probably our first choose line but no way for 19 or 20 year olds. Sorry.

A country house at sea is often how Fred is described.

Ventura would be more suitable.

Have a great time what ever you choose.

Our first trip on Braemar was in July 2010 on a cruise called "French Collection" and there were all different ages on board including teenagers. In the evenings a group of teenage girls used to gather in the Showlounge and watch the ballroom dancing :) I suppose it depends on the teenagers. If yours like visiting places and the ports are interesting this may be just the cruise for you. I feel that if younger people don't use Fred then eventually they wont have any passengers :rolleyes:

The question to ask yourself is what do they like to do on a cruise? We have teens (younger than yours) and they love to visit the ports & trips from the ports, they enjoy the pools & chilling out in the sun on sea days, they love going for meals in the MDR, they love the shows & listening to the bands etc.

If they want climbing walls, constant entertainment for 'young people' then maybe Fred isn't for them but if they are happy to enjoy a cruise for what cruising is, then maybe Fred would be suitable......

As Linda says, if younger people don't travel with Fred then who is going to use them when all the older people can no longer travel?

We are going to ask them what they prefer, London, and explain that Balmoral (or Adonia) will probably not contain many, if any, young adults but WILL be all new ports for everyone.

This will be the first holiday together as a family for over two years so we are all very much looking forward to holidaying together, and the kids are delighted we are cruising again.

Jules, we've taken them on cruises since they were babies and they've grown up in and out of kids clubs and, particularly when teens, meeting and making good friends which they still keep in touch with. When on RCCI ships they spent time with us doing all the sporty stuff; RCCI is great for families. This will be the first time that they won't be attending kids clubs, and I am wondering how they will 'find' others their own age to spend time with.

They've both been working over the weekend so we will do a 'family' facebook chat tonight and discuss things.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, much appreciated.

We are going to ask them what they prefer, London, and explain that Balmoral (or Adonia) will probably not contain many, if any, young adults but WILL be all new ports for everyone.

This will be the first holiday together as a family for over two years so we are all very much looking forward to holidaying together, and the kids are delighted we are cruising again.

Jules, we've taken them on cruises since they were babies and they've grown up in and out of kids clubs and, particularly when teens, meeting and making good friends which they still keep in touch with. When on RCCI ships they spent time with us doing all the sporty stuff; RCCI is great for families. This will be the first time that they won't be attending kids clubs, and I am wondering how they will 'find' others their own age to spend time with.

They've both been working over the weekend so we will do a 'family' facebook chat tonight and discuss things.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, much appreciated.

Hi, I've sailed on Balmoral many times, it's my favourite ship in Fred's fleet. On the occasions when there have been teens and twenties on the ship, I've usually found that they spend most of the time with the young members of the entertainment team.

Tiger, I am heartened at your comments :):).

We spoke to both kids on fb chat last night (4 way messaging) and they both said that they didn't mind if they were in a minority because the ports sounded good and they wouldn't mind sticking around with us oldies :p.

So perhaps we will give Balmoral a try. As there is currently a waiting list on Adonia for a 4-berth for the cruise we are interested in it is unlikely that we will go for her this time.

Son has to double check that he can get the time off from work first.

Seven nights only!

New ports to visit. Ship to explore. Warm sun to lie in on a sea day. Lots of nice food to eat. Family togetherness to enjoy again. Scrabble in the card room at a pinch!! :)

There is so much going for a cruise together and so little against it. Don't worry; it is a nice ship so just take them and enjoy it. ;)

Seven nights only!

New ports to visit. Ship to explore. Warm sun to lie in on a sea day. Lots of nice food to eat. Family togetherness to enjoy again. Scrabble in the card room at a pinch!! :)

There is so much going for a cruise together and so little against it. Don't worry; it is a nice ship so just take them and enjoy it. ;)

That's exactly how we feel when we travel with our family; family time together is just SO important & with all the other nice things thrown in, what could be better?!

Seven nights only!

That's exactly how we feel when we travel with our family; family time together is just SO important & with all the other nice things thrown in, what could be better?!

Yes, scrabble and I'll take the Uno too, that's always good for a laugh :D (no one wants to sit next to me...)

There is a disco on Fred ships, but afaik us oldies don't attend, way past our bed time :D Seriously, it depends greatly on the children. Some 19 and 20 year olds want the energetic lifestyle, some prefer to read and take a more relaxed approach to holidays. Ask them what they want. I don't think for an instant they will be bored on a 7 day cruise

We were on the Balmoral last September on a Baltic cruise. We go to bed late, so had a few evenings in the disco bar. It is actually the Observatory Bar during the day and nice for a pre dinner drink. There were a few young people on board, more 20s than teemagers, but they were dancing and seemed to be enjoying themselves.

BTW what is the itinerary of this cruise?

London, the itinerary is Southampton to La Rochelle (France), Bilbao (Spain), Gijon (Spain) and St Peter Port (Guernsey), then back to Southampton. One sea day. All new ports, so very interesting to all of us. Sailing on 20th July.

Update: son found out today that he couldn't take time off in July so that means just the three of us can travel, and are now considering a two week cruise instead. We are looking at a Princess cruise sailing out of Southampton in early July.

Son is an apprentice and does not get many days holiday anyway, but they are busy and he is also doing lots of college work/assessments too. He has decided to wait until later in the year before taking time off, possibly late August/September.

We are looking for a seven night cruise in July and have seen one on Balmoral (never been with Fred before).

The ports are new to us, which is what attracted us to the cruise. However, we are hoping to take our kids who will be 'adults' aged 19 and 20. Will they be in a minority on the ship? We usually go on RCI, Princess, P&O, Celebrity, and it will be the first time they won't qualify for kids clubs.

There are a couple of P&O ones we have looked at; one on Ventura one on Adonia (adult only).

No experience with Fred, can anyone advise?

Thanks.

AJ

just been on the Balmoral & I would definitely say no no no to taking your 20 year olds on it.

On a port intensive cruise I wouldn't have the slightest problem in taking people of that age.

If this was a cruise with many sea days then they might well get a little bored, but that would be my only concern.

• 3 years later...

Was on Black Watch some years ago and meet a lovely couple of Twenty somethings on board. They were quite happy travelling with oldies and having sea days.

The only problem they were having was getting served drinks at table service in the bars and lounges. The crew would mingle with guests and are not allowed to drink and as this couple were the only young ones on board, they looked like crew so the wait staff would just ignore them.

• 1 month later...

I know that you’ve decided against this cruise now because one of your sons can’t get the holiday time off. Our now 20yo has been on two cruises and decided cruising is not for him! He didn’t like the formal nights and he also got sea sick at one point.

That aside what he does like is spending time together as a family, it doesn’t really matter if we are in a self catering cottage in the lakes or Northumberland, he’s happy just to chill with us. We might have mega games of cards or monopoly but we have fun and make memories. Our family time is very important and that’s what makes our holiday, wherever or whatever we are doing.

I hope that you all get to holiday together sometime soon!