tendering question

lightsleeper

We are elite so we have priority tendering.

We have arranged a private excursion and the couple that is joining us is not elite.

Will they be able to use the priority feature if they depart with us, or will they have to use the general tendering procedure?

Yes, we've done it in the past with private excursions. Just make sure that everyone enters the meeting place together. If you're supposed to go to a dining room to wait to be called, everyone should meet up outside the dining room and you all enter that area at the same time.

Not in my recent (December 2016) experience, and in my opinion that is proper. If you want to stay together, you'll need to depart with them not vice versa.

We had 3 tender ports on our LA to Rio cruise and at some ports (San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua; Stanley, Falkland Islands) everyone wanted to be off the ship first to meet private excursions. We are elite, my sister and brother-in-law are not. We got in line early with them so we could all get off early together at those 2 ports. Crown Princess staff also made sure we had disembarkation tickets saying it would help them keep track of the number of passengers per tender (there were hundreds of passengers waiting to disembark). Staff was collecting the tickets (and, I presume checking cruise cards if you didn't have a ticket) before you entered security to board the tenders.

So if my husband is elite and i am not we would have to take separate tenders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but you are not entitled to priority tendering. You will both need to do the normal tendering routine. If you want to leave early then just arrive early and you will both be in the first (or one of the first) groups to go ashore. I'm a firm believer in following the rules. There is no point to having earned a privilege if it ends up being extended to those who haven't yet earned it for themselves.

Have a great cruise and don't stress the tendering thing. Just be sure you both arrive early and together and you will be fine.

So if my husband is elite and i am not we would have to take separate tenders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming that your comment is meant to be facetious and that you aren't asking a real question. But if you are - My understanding is that those in the same stateroom as an elite get the same tendering privileges, much like priority boarding with your elite cabin mate, etc. Not all elite privileges can be shared but those two I mentioned are.

However,in answer to the OP, that does not mean that your friends, brothers,sisters, in laws, etc in separate cabins can share either privilege. If you've done it in the past, you're lucky but don't count on it.

Edited by freetocruise

My understanding is that those in the same stateroom as an elite get the same tendering privileges, much like priority boarding with your elite cabin mate, etc. Not all elite privileges can be shared but those two I mentioned are.

However,in answer to the OP, that does not mean that your friends, brothers,sisters, in laws, etc in separate cabins can share either privilege. If you've done it in the past, you're lucky but don't count on it.

Exactly. Similar to being invited to the MTP. Even though he may not have the days, since he's the husband, the Elite privileges extend to him.

I certainly wouldn't count on extending them to friends in another cabin.

Where would it end?

Almost everyone knows someone who has those preferred boarding privileges.

I'm assuming that your comment is meant to be facetious and that you aren't asking a real question. But if you are - My understanding is that those in the same stateroom as an elite get the same tendering privileges, much like priority boarding with your elite cabin mate, etc. Not all elite privileges can be shared but those two I mentioned are.

I was not trying to be facetious, [emoji6]and I was asking a real question indeed.

I am already Elite, as is my husband, but I was asking a hypothetical. That is why I used the word "if."

I think that some things are subject to different interpretations, and this thread made me wonder what would happen if one spouse has a privilege and another doesn't.

Thank you for your response

Anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

No but you are not entitled to priority tendering. You will both need to do the normal tendering routine. If you want to leave early then just arrive early and you will both be in the first (or one of the first) groups to go ashore. I'm a firm believer in following the rules. There is no point to having earned a privilege if it ends up being extended to those who haven't yet earned it for themselves.

Have a great cruise and don't stress the tendering thing. Just be sure you both arrive early and together and you will be fine.

I am already entitled to priority boarding since I am Elite, as is my husband. [emoji16] I was merely asking a hypothetical. But now that you mention it, what's the difference between a couple boarding the ship priority when one spouse has priority boarding status and the other spouse doesn't, and a couple who are priority boarding a tender together? As long as those two people are sharing the same cabin, I don't think there is a discernible difference between the two priority perks. [emoji79]

I'm not the OP of this thread, but thanks for wishing me a great cruise anyway [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

It can also depend on the number of Elites on board. Last summer on the Coral to Alaska, there were 30 Elites on our cruise. I doubt they checked very carefully.

On the other hand, in 2013 on the Grand around South America, there were over 1000 Elites. There was separate ticket distribution for Elites & suite passengers. Cards were checked carefully.

This virtual pushing and shoving reminds me of getting on/off the tenders, including the dirty looks from having suite priority.

Isn't the suite priority the same as the elite priority (i.e., back of the tender line not cutting in front)? Last on no one should be pushing or shoving you - with or without accompanying dirty looks - unless it is other suite/elite passengers :eek:. That's when you show them your card with SUITE noted in the corner.:D

I'll agree that getting off a tender it is too often everyone for themselves unless the boat hand exerts some authority instructing those up top to exit first followed by one section (front or back) and then the other.

Isn't the suite priority the same as the elite priority (i.e., back of the tender line not cutting in front)? Last on no one should be pushing or shoving you - with or without accompanying dirty looks - unless it is other suite/elite passengers :eek:. That's when you show them your card with SUITE noted in the corner.:D

I'll agree that getting off a tender it is too often everyone for themselves unless the boat hand exerts some authority instructing those up top to exit first followed by one section (front or back) and then the other.

We are elite and we often stay in a suite. If you are in a suite, you just get on line by the tenders. If we are not in a suite, we wait with the other elites in a holding area and then board before non-elites.

We are elite and we often stay in a suite. If you are in a suite, you just get on line by the tenders. If we are not in a suite, we wait with the other elites in a holding area and then board before non-elites.

My understanding is that both the Suites & Elites line up for the tenders in the same manner. I didn't realize the Suites had a special boarding procedure.

I have to chuckle here. First off, I guess this thread is about tendering not embarkation boarding procedures or disembarkation. Appears some have it mixed.

Anyway, we have been elites for so long I forget when we weren't, about nine months total sailing time on Princess too. Never have we received, on Princess, any priority boarding tender offers or been made aware of separate lines etc. for full suites, elites, etc. If such had been the case, I would still question how they are going to arrange it for us to get off the tender on a priority basis, been on a lot of tenders and never witnessed anybody getting first dibs on being first off, let alone us elites.

As a long time elites, my pet peeve is not so much with getting ahead of the crowd on or off the tenders but with the pushing and shoving type that give cruising a bad name. For instance, those with no mobility issues who sneak ahead before excursions are called in order to get on the coaches first and gobble up the front row seats. If and when we somehow end up in a front row seat I can't live with myself as I watch others with canes and crutches limp their way to the far back seats.

I

Anyway, we have been elites for so long I forget when we weren't, about nine months total sailing time on Princess too. Never have we received, on Princess, any priority boarding tender offers or been made aware of separate lines etc. for full suites, elites, etc. If such had been the case, I would still question how they are going to arrange it for us to get off the tender on a priority basis, been on a lot of tenders and never witnessed anybody getting first dibs on being first off, let alone us elites.

Now that you mention it, when did the status's actually begin? I can't remember any status years ago being printed on the card. Everybody just had the same id cardboard cards.:confused: