Kenai alaska fishing

JoRoy218

We'll be doing the Princess land tour and cruise in late May and June. We have a two night stay at Kenai Lodge. DH is looking forward to fishing in the area but Princess excursions are already sold out. We explored vendors through Trip Advisor, not one is able to pick up at Lodge. Wondered if anyone had experience in Kenai? Thanks!

We'll be doing the Princess land tour and cruise in late May and June. We have a two night stay at Kenai Lodge. DH is looking forward to fishing in the area but Princess excursions are already sold out. We explored vendors through Trip Advisor, not one is able to pick up at Lodge. Wondered if anyone had experience in Kenai? Thanks!

JoRoy, I think my husband and I will be there with you. We also were very disappointed to find out that salmon fishing season does not open until about June 11th. I also inquired about fishing on Kenai Lake and was told no good fishing there. I think your only option is to take an independent tour to a nearby or not so nearby river.

I will also tell you I have seen on this board somewhere that Princess will not allow any outsiders on premises to pick up. I don't know if that is correct or not. I hope not as we have as sailing excursion in the evening.

Are you on the Roll Call, we could chat more there if you like.

JoRoy, I think my husband and I will be there with you. We also were very disappointed to find out that salmon fishing season does not open until about June 11th. I also inquired about fishing on Kenai Lake and was told no good fishing there. I think your only option is to take an independent tour to a nearby or not so nearby river.

I will also tell you I have seen on this board somewhere that Princess will not allow any outsiders on premises to pick up. I don't know if that is correct or not. I hope not as we have as sailing excursion in the evening.

Are you on the Roll Call, we could chat more there if you like.

I am on roll call, land tour starting in Fairbanks 5/27, Kenai 6/1-6/2. You?

Our niece lives in Kenai and early June is not the time to fish for salmon. The time to fish the Kenai river is in August. My niece and her husband dip net salmon just out in front of the house, they live on the Kenai river. The banks of the river will be thick with fisherman dipping for salmon, it’s a sight to see.

Look to the Alaska Fish and Game web site for specifics.

There is a run of reds near the end of May.

( There's a big sockeye run near the end of June ..... i've watched combat fishing at that time. Fun to see)

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=ByAreaSouthcentralUpperKenai.fishingInfo#runtiming

(open the pdf for the Kenai River)

As I have been fishing in Alaska for over 20 years I can tell you the salmon runs are dependent on the weather. As fishing is well regulated, areas of fishing are determined by escapement numbers so limits vary depending on where you are fishing . The first run is usually in June and the second could be in July or August. I spend 6 weeks there to be able to catch one of the runs. Its just a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Some years fishing is great and some not so much. Just spending a day on the rivers is a great experience. With all the outfitters available you should be able to find one to fit your needs. I have never used any as I have relatives up there so no need for one. With a little research you should be able to satisfy your needs. Have a great trip and enjoy Alaska as it is a beautiful state!

I am on roll call, land tour starting in Fairbanks 5/27, Kenai 6/1-6/2. You?

We are northbound, we'll be getting off the boat and heading to Kenai as you are getting on.

Here is some information I got from Kenai River Float-n-Fish

The Upper Kenai River opens for fishing on June 11th, so unfortunately there will be no fishing in Cooper

Landing while you are here. There is ocean fishing available out of Seward and Homer for halibut, as well as some river fishing for King Salmon on the Kasilof river. These are all day trips from Cooper Landing and a few hours driving.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bidtrips
spacing

We are northbound, we'll be getting off the boat and heading to Kenai as you are getting on.

Here is some information I got from Kenai River Float-n-Fish

The Upper Kenai River opens for fishing on June 11th, so unfortunately there will be no fishing in Cooper

Landing while you are here. There is ocean fishing available out of Seward and Homer for halibut, as well as some river fishing for King Salmon on the Kasilof river. These are all day trips from Cooper Landing and a few hours driving.

Hope this helps.

They also fish King salmon in the salt water. And if planning to fish salt water, don't overlook Ninilchik, between Soldotna and Homer.

• 2 months later...

You didn't specify what kind of fish. Today, I noticed on my Cruise Personalizer that a couple of fishing excursions opened up. I think one was fly fishing. I'm sure it wasn't for salmon, though. I'm in Kenai at the end of May.

You didn't specify what kind of fish. Today, I noticed on my Cruise Personalizer that a couple of fishing excursions opened up. I think one was fly fishing. I'm sure it wasn't for salmon, though. I'm in Kenai at the end of May.

Thank you, checking now!!!

Well, I just checked Excursions for Kenai -- these are the same two (full and half-day) excursions which have been there for months. I did call Princess about these since they show "Sold Out". She said they're not really sold out but listed that way since it's too early for fishing and just not available. Oh well.