Are We in Trouble?

sevenseasnomad

In browsing through the "Traveling with a Disability" forum, I noticed the tread, "Oosterdam-Tampa." Since my husband, who requires a wheelchair to embark/disembark, and I will be on the March 31st sailing from Tampa, I opened this tread. People who had requested wheelchair assistance to embark prior to arriving at the port were complaining that they had a long, long wait for assistance. Several were saying that the port claimed there were only two wheelchairs available.

My question is: Has anyone who required wheelchair assistance to board sailed from Tampa recently? I would appreciate any comments on your experience. Thanks.

My experience was not in Tampa but we experienced a similar problem in Pt. Everglades. I think the problem with the wait is not with the number of wheelchairs but with the number of personnel available to push them to get them inside the building and then to board the ship. The one time I was with a friend needing wheelchair assist in Pt. Everglades it was a very frustrating experience. There seemed to be no plan to take arrivals in turn, nor was there adequate outside seating for people arriving and waiting for assist to even get into the building. Once inside, things went fairly smoothly, but again, there was a wait for wheelchair pushers to make that final trip across the gangway. If you have someone who can assist you, it might be less frustrating to just rent or take your own folding wheelchair.

Edited by the2ofus
Clarification

When we cruised in December from Tampa there was a long line for the wheelchairs. My husband walked and it wasn't to bad for him as it wasn't as steep as other ports. You may have to wait awhile. We were in our room in less than 10 minutes! I think we would have been waiting for an hour!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have no choice but to use the ship's wheelchairs on embarkation and disembarkation days.

Only once did I have a problem getting a wheelchair in Ft Lauderdale.

It has been a while since we sailed out of Tampa.

I rent a walker/rollator for ship/shore use. Wish it was available in the terminal building instead of in the cabin. That way I could slowly make my own way onto the ship and not have to wait for a wheelchair.

I had a terrible experience at the Tampa terminal boarding the Oosterdam. Check in is on the second floor. I am an oxygen user and have difficulty walking. I was told they would not bring wheelchair down to curb side. My husband and daughter helped me up to 2nd floor. Could not check in yet. Waited 45 minutes for wheelchair, which took us to a waiting area to check in. Waited for almost an hour, to check in, then waited for wheelchair and pusher. Thank goodness I had scooter in room. We never experienced this in Ft. Lauderdale boarding HAL ships there. Our cruise on the Oosterdam was wonderful.

Thanks everyone for your experiences. I'm trying to convince DH that we should rent a chair from a local agency. If we did, we wouldn't have to wait for anyone; however, I'm not sure I could push the thing if there is even a slight incline to board. We were, of course, going to rent a wheelchair for onboard, but it's my understanding that the rental will be waiting for us in the cabin.

Many American cruise ports suffer long delays in assisting wheelchair people on and off the ships.

The Stevedore Union has lobbied the authorities to prohibit non-US citizens from "working" on US soil. They define pushing a wheelchair onto or off from a ship in a US port as working in the USA.

Very few US Citizens work onboard cruise ships. Any ship's crew member (non US) is only legally allowed to push a wheelchair to the end of the ship's gangway. If he tries to take you further, he will be arrested.

Same rule applies for the other direction.

The crew can only pick you up at the end of the gangway and push you onboard.

Hiring Americans to do this job is not only expensive for the port, but very few people even want this part time job.

So it is not unusual for a delay in both directions as you wait for the very limited number of American employees hired to assist you on or off the ship.

Thanks everyone for your experiences. I'm trying to convince DH that we should rent a chair from a local agency. If we did, we wouldn't have to wait for anyone; however, I'm not sure I could push the thing if there is even a slight incline to board. We were, of course, going to rent a wheelchair for onboard, but it's my understanding that the rental will be waiting for us in the cabin.

Those with wheelchair assistance have boarding priority. Try not to be too early arriving at the port terminal to have lesser waiting time.

Also, fill up and email the Special Requirements Information (SRI) Form for your wheelchair assistance to halw_access@hollandamerica.com

The crew can only pick you up at the end of the gangway and push you onboard.

Frequently, this also means the disabled person must change wheelchairs while (dis)embarking. There is one wheelchair and pusher to get from the wheelchair assembly area to the gangway, then the passenger has to switch to a HAL wheelchair and pusher. :mad:

Just as difficult, many times, is getting to the wheelchair assembly area in the first place.

We sailed from FLL in December. I notified a HAL employee when we arrived. Someone brought a wheelchair right away. They wheeled him to a regular height table where we checked-in and where he was issued a number tab (like at the deli :D ). The same "pusher" wheeled him to a staging area for wheelchairs awaiting someone from the ship to wheel them aboard.

Folks were wheeled aboard - there ended up being 5 pushers all from the ship - by the number they held - we were #26. Boarding with the pushers started at 11:30 like the beginning of the rest of the passengers.

It seemed like a long time to wait but we saw others (able bodied) who'd been on our hotel shuttle with us boarding at the same time DH's turn with the pusher came.:)

Many American cruise ports suffer long delays in assisting wheelchair people on and off the ships.

...................Any ship's crew member (non US) is only legally allowed to push a wheelchair to the end of the ship's gangway. If he tries to take you further, he will be arrested.

Same rule applies for the other direction.

The crew can only pick you up at the end of the gangway and push you onboard...................

There must be some exceptions because since 2010 DH has needed wheelchair assistance.

In FFL he is always pushed through check-in by someone who looks to be a US citizen cruise line employee. Afterwards they push him to a "staging area".

From the staging area there in the terminal he is pushed aboard by a ship employee - look to be from the dining room staff maybe.

Disembarking he is pushed by a ship employee to the luggage retrieval area in the terminal where we get a porter. At some point in the terminal a US looking person takes over and pushes DH through customs and to the taxi area.

It almost seems like in the area between the ship and customs ship employees are allowed to do the pushing. :confused:

Those with wheelchair assistance have boarding priority. Try not to be too early arriving at the port terminal to have lesser waiting time.

Also, fill up and email the Special Requirements Information (SRI) Form for your wheelchair assistance to halw_access@hollandamerica.com

New to Holland, what is the benefit of filling out and emailing the SRI? Do they check a list or something when you arrive? Thanks.

New to Holland, what is the benefit of filling out and emailing the SRI? Do they check a list or something when you arrive? Thanks.

For embarkation, sometimes yes, sometimes no when it comes to checking a list.

But for disembarkation, you should be on a list, and the arrangements set up without you making a special stop at the Front Desk. (always worth checking on, though . ;))

When we sail from FLL, Special Needs at Sea, from whom we rent a wheelchair, has a kiosk right outside the terminal doors where you pick up the wheelchair. I push DH through check-in, etc and a crew member pushes him aboard.

In Vancouver last year we had his own wheelchair, and I was told to push him onto the ship myself. First time ever that has happened and with a steep slope it was a horrendous experience, with carry-ons as well. I contacted HAL after the cruise but they just did a sort of shrug in their response. Wonder who would have been liable had I lost control of the wheelchair.

I had not thought this was a problem but now think I need to verify. I use a mobility scooter for long distances and a walker for short. I had not planned on filling out assistance forms because I'm pretty used to getting myself around. I'm now wondering if I should fill out the forms anyway even though I don't anticipate any issues. My traveling companion uses a walker for longer distances, do we need separate forms or can we both be listed on the same form? We are in a Neptune suite so already some priority areas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our TA does the form every cruise - sometimes we're on the list and sometimes not. If not they just manually add DH. I always reconfirm he's on the disembarkation list sometime during the cruise ... just to be sure. Also, on the Zuiderdam at least, we were disembarked based on the order you were given with your luggage tags the night before disembarkation.

In FFL we were boarded first come first served (boarded) based on the "deli number" we got at the assistance check-in table.

Summersigh, we had same good experience in Ft. Lauderdale. Tampa was awful. our TA filled out form to send to HAL, copy to me. It clearly stated embark/debark needs. They were very disorganized and did not have enough staff.

Dang ,,,, it's hard enough to travel able bodied without needing assistance and having it be problematic :(

We've been lucky so far but I can only imagine what it could be like!

Cruising is one of the only options left for us to vacation. DH has mobility issues that only allow him to slowly walk short distances. If we tour on land I have to do all the driving - which I dislike. At least with a cruise once we get to our hotel (which has a shuttle or taxi to the port) I'm done for the duration :D

We do verandahs where DH spends a good bit of his time. We book near the aft elevators which puts us close to the MDR, the Lido and the Sea View Pool. This way he can do as much or as little as he wants.

(I'm sure you regulars all know this but I figure some newbies might find it interesting ):D