Ballroom dancing on Balmoral

yesididit

Hello all, can anyone tell me about the dancing please? I rang FO and the guy said you dance on the stage:rolleyes: I assume the dancing is in the Lido lounge? Is it every night or no set pattern? Have been on Britannia and out of 3000 passengers there were about 20 regular dancers, in the Crystal room, which is lovely. Have been on Queen Victoria too and nice dance floor but very stuffy, even fewer dancers than P&O. I have read on here what there is and bit of a mixed bag, one guy said ballroom dancers are well provided for. From what I have gleaned from youtube, FO's cabins look very dated (perhaps the video was too!) the prices are a lot higher too, almost £1000 more comparible P&O14 day Caribbean with balcony v FO 11 night to Russia with balcony, don't understand why.

So dancers, is it worth the extra? I'm guessing but on PO dancers are in a separate venue, FO in the main (only) venue so perhaps more folk watching taking part? Better atmospher?

Thank you,

Hi ....try to answer your questions.

Dancing.....Fred does cater for Ballroom and Sequence. The stage they refer to goes up and down. So when down it's an adequate floor for a cruise ship. Not compatible to Cunard tho. Ok for Sequence and basic Ballroom if you keep to line of dance.

They have an hour in the evening before the show then between the shows.

They have usually three male dance host plus a lady.

Some cruises it gets too busy on the floor and we don't dance as it's a real pain.

The other lounge upstairs, can't remember it's name, caters for modern stuff later. We have danced jive and Latin tho in that lounge.

As for pricing, it is what it is. You can't compare different itineraries.

Fred are smaller and older ships than some of PandO.

Yes cabins are a little staid compared with some newer ships but always found them ok.

Hard to compare with PandO.

On any cruise people always tell us they enjoy watching people dance so no difference there.

Atmosphere, just depends how you define atmosphere. Fred is sometimes like a Country House and sedate, so that's what some Fred people like. PandO is more "lively" with probably a younger set in comparison.

Fred certainly has better choice itinerary.

Agree tho Fred's prices do seem to be creeping up.

• 4 weeks later...

HELLO YESIDIDIT

Would be interested in your feedback re dancing when you get back as I too have only been with Cunard and P& O plus Holland America. If the cruises are as good as many of the repeat passengers and commentators are on here say they are I think you are in for a very pleasant cruise with like minded people which is something I think I would prefer any day to what P & O now offer as their client base is definitely changing after just coming off Oriana in late August.

I have booked a 32 nighter which is the first time with FO so if you could leave feedback that would be great.

Yes I'll do that oumbalady, If I couldn't dance I would never go on a ship, probably change my mind when I start to dribble!

Last time on P&O Britannia most were happy around the pool by day with too loud raucous music blaring out and in the pub at night with drop down tv screens showing football. Not for me. Cyrstal room was very nice with an excellent band playing upbeat modern music for ballroom and Latin with a fantastic girl singer. Did you dance in Harlequin? I felt it was a bit cut off from rest of ship and if few in there atmosphere was bit flat.

Anyone know if scrabble is on board Balmoral or have to take your own?

Yes good dancing in Harlequin. Several couples were good dances and several more just enjoyed social dancing. Limited dance classes and a bit slow but still enjoyable. Good atmosphere on the cruise we went on and several people in the bar. All in all it was pretty good = apart from the two severe nights of storms and on the second night the swells really did impede the dancing somewhat so only the brave ventured on to the dance floor for more than a Waltz!

There is a lot of ballroom dancing on Fred, mainly between shows in the main show lounges. It infiltrates the more modern lido venues as well sometimes. They have dance hosts on all ships - I have a friend who likes Fred for that, but we prefer disco style personally. The dance classes can get really crowded and we have been to some, but now they like to move people around the floor so you dance with different partners. I do not like that as I have no wish to hold hands (and possibly exchange germs) with so many people.

• 1 month later...

Hi YESIDIDIT, I hope you enjoyed yourcruise on Balmoral. I have been on about 15 Fred cruises which cater for themore mature passenger. The reason I choose Fred is because of the availabilityof dancing. On Fred’s 4 ships there is always a dance couple i.e. a man andwoman plus usually 2 male dance hosts on short cruises of up to 14 days and 4male dance hosts on longer cruises. Standards vary!!! Ballroom, Latin and Sequence dancing is held in the Neptune Lounge every evening mainly before and between the shows but times vary depending on which of the 4 ships you are on. ReTring’s comments about germs, there are hand-gel dispensers freely available at the side of the dance floor. There is also more informal dancing in the CoralClub or Lido Bar with live entertainers until midnight then recorded music until the early hours of the morning. The atmosphere there varies according to how many passengers actually dance or just sit and watch. Like you, if I couldn't dance I wouldn’t go on a cruise. There are also plenty of daytime activities varying from Bridge, craft classes, art classes, dance lessons,choir, deck games, classical concerts, quizzes etc. and shows every evening; so something to suit all tastes. There are various board games available. As for pricing, there are various offers including no single supplement for some grades and often excellent last minute bargains.

I have been on 2 P&O cruises on Ventura and Azura. I thought they were too big and rather rowdy. We paid extra for the spa retreat which was lovely but it was located over the main swimming pool andJacuzzi which were always occupied by boisterous young people. There was constant loud raucous music blaring out around the pool and the pub at night had drop down TV screens showing football. There were dance lessons on sea days and dancing in the Atrium in the evening but you need a partner as there are no dance hosts. After about 11p.m. the ‘so-called’ nightclub was deserted.

I have also been on American ships but didn't find any dancing; there might have been but I didn't discover where. I'm shortly going on Cunard's QV and hopefully there will be plenty of dancing.

• 1 month later...

Hello Appleorchard 1, Dancing on Cunard , Ballroom,Latin & Sequence across their fleet, knocks spots off anything you may have experienced on Fred, or any other cruise line to date.

By the way, the Queen Mary 2 boasts to have the largest Ballroom at sea. If Ballroom dancing is your passion, then Cunard Line is the company you need to seek out.