Braemar Caribbean Cruises

LandC

We have just received charter flight details for our cruise due to depart next January. There is a message on Fred's website regarding Hurricane Irma. Final decision on whether itineraries will be affected will be taken late September/early October. Clearly it may not be possible to visit all of the ports. :rolleyes:

Has anyone else booked one of these Caribbean cruises departing January/February 2018?

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked on the Braemar on 18th January. I think the only port at risk may be Tortola. I thought that the final decision would have been made by now, but they are presumably giving as much time as possible for the ports to be available.

Personally, I would be happy for more time in Cuba, if it was possible.

Whatever happens, it should be a good cruise. It's our first time on Braemar. We are usually on Boudicca or Black Watch.

Hi Fairliered, we are also on this cruise (18/01/18) [emoji16]Tortola was my favourite port! Such a shame about all the damage. We too are expecting a revised itinerary. Excited and starting to plan some trips! Regards, Fiona

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Fairlered, I am sure we can arrange a meet up! We are on this cruise because I wanted a cruise instead of a 50th party [emoji23] our good friends are coming so we are 2 couples. Been booked since May 2015 I think! It’ll soon be here now!

• 1 month later...

We are also on the 18th January cruise. Shore tours are now available to book on-line, and It appears that the itinerary is unchanged.

It will be our first time in the Caribbean, so we would welcome any advice on what to see and do on the islands. :cool:

We are also on the 18th January cruise. Shore tours are now available to book on-line, and It appears that the itinerary is unchanged.

It will be our first time in the Caribbean, so we would welcome any advice on what to see and do on the islands. :cool:

The best place to look for advice is on the Ports of Call boards here on Cruise Critic. Each Caribbean island has its own forum. There is lots of helpful advice on things like private tours. Alternatively, tell us your ports to enable people to advise you.

Hi LandC,

I have booked us on Cosol Tours for a full day in St Lucia. We have done this twice before and have really enjoyed ourselves and you get to see the Island

You can book by email direct with them and it is $75 pp paid at the end when they return you to the ship.

Lots of food and drink included and they are reliable and will look after you. There are great reviews!!

Maybe see you onboard?!

Fiona & Andy x

Hi FionaMaria, thanks, we’ll have a look at the website.

Do you have any tips for places to see on Grenada, Aruba, Jamaica, Tortola and Martinique?

As it’s our first time in the Caribbean, we would like to

visit the top attractions if possible - can’t wait, and hope to see you on board! :cool:

Hiya!! We have previously done a tour of Grenada in a taxi in the morning and Grand Anse beach in afternoon in Grenada (gorgeous!) this year may try the Rhum Runner a bit of a party cruise along the coast I think.

Aruba, previously walked lots and lots of beaches. Also we did a mini tour and saw the island (1/2 day taxi) I don’t know a lot more sorry.

Jamaica, we have previously been with Phil Lafayette to Dunn’s River Falls & River tubing. This year we may use him to try the Blue Hole and a beach but I’m not sure and will wait and see what’s available via Fred. I think you need an organised trip in Jamaica. Last time we went to Mystic Mountain bobsled, May do that again :-)

Tortola we went on a fantastic Catamaran to ... I think Norman Island then we found Pusser’s Bar and had their famous painkiller cocktails. Brilliant day, sadly damaged by the hurricane so will have to see what we can find.

Never been to Martinique!

I haven’t seen what tours are available through Fred Olsen yet, I hope we still get the old style book through the post! So to recap the 2 independent companies I’ve used and trust to recommend were Cosol (St Lucia) and Phil Lafayette (Jamaica).

Some days we prefer to just get a taxi to a beach :-)

Looking forward to it 50 days!! [emoji41][emoji41]x

Great tips FionaMaria, many thanks. Is it possible to pay for local tours and taxis on the islands in US dollars?

By the way, our tours booklet arrived this morning - plenty to choose from but rather expensive! :rolleyes:

Hi FionaMaria. The tours certainly are expensive! We would like to go on the scenic railway in St Kitts. We haven’t made up our mind yet about the other tours, although Jamaica with Phil Lafayette sounds interesting.

I’ve been looking at the Whatsinport website, and there are 4 ships in port when we are in Antigua. We would like to see Nelson’s Dockyard, and are wondering if a taxi tour would be a better option for that, to try to avoid the coaches!

I would be interested to know how much a half day taxi tour costs, if you can remember!

Great tips FionaMaria, many thanks. Is it possible to pay for local tours and taxis on the islands in US dollars?

By the way, our tours booklet arrived this morning - plenty to choose from but rather expensive! :rolleyes:

Hi - agree re cost of FO's tours. eg we have booked an up to 5. hours highlights plus beach tour on Grenada with Stan at JNJ tours - ex US military with excellent reviews on cruise critic. Is 50USD (ie£37) compared with FO's £75 but no beach. Stan will reply very quickly to any emails. Be good to fill his tour vehicle for the Braemar.:)

Edited by RKGHM
mIssed resort name

Thank you marylizcat. His tours certainly get some excellent reviews. It’s cold and wet today - I can’t wait for some sunshine!

Have just contacted Gordon re his Best of Paradise Island and Beach BBQ tour (Antigua)

Hi - agree re cost of FO's tours. eg we have booked an up to 5. hours highlights plus beach tour on Grenada with Stan at JNJ tours - ex US military with excellent reviews on cruise critic. Is 50USD (ie£37) compared with FO's £75 but no beach. Stan will reply very quickly to any emails. Be good to fill his tour vehicle for the Braemar.:)

Thanks for the advice RKGHM. We are on the 18 January cruise, but JNJ tours looks interesting - have you used Stan before?