Cruise L1803 Rio Carnival & River Plate

Harry298

HI,

I'm arranging a private tour in Rio and so far it's my wife and myself. I was wondering if there would be anyone else interested in joining us. It might be a bit cheaper than Fred.

Harry and Trish Fowler

Hi,

We have booked the main parade day with Fred. On the days we are there, at the moment I'm having correspondence with a tour guild for a private day tour. He has been recommended by a couple we met on our last tour and did a tour with him. He has agreed to take us but the final arrangements have yet to be made. That's Time places and cost. This is hopefully going to be finalised in the next few days. I will let you know as soon as I have details if you're interested.

Harry

Hi,

We have booked the main parade day with Fred. On the days we are there, at the moment I'm having correspondence with a tour guild for a private day tour. He has been recommended by a couple we met on our last tour and did a tour with him. He has agreed to take us but the final arrangements have yet to be made. That's Time places and cost. This is hopefully going to be finalised in the next few days. I will let you know as soon as I have details if you're interested.

Harry

Hi Harry, yes please keep me updated. I’m travelling with my Mum who has some mobility issues, so it may not be ideal for her, but I’d be very interested to hear more about it.

Bea

Hi,

Ok, no problem will do. Hopefully, the tour book will be with us soon and I will be able to get it sorted. He may be able to assist you and your mother I will ask when I contact.

Regards

Harry

8.12.17 We prefer onshore excursions as often cheaper and more flexible. Please post when you know details of where they will take us etc. Apparently, ships trips will be available sometime next week (about time too)

Hi there, I’ll be on this cruise! Did you have any particular excursion in mind? I’d really like to go to one of the Sambadrome events but the Fred prices are a bit rich for my blood!

Cheers

Bea

Agre about ship's prices. Extortionate Hoping there will be something going on in the city. You may want to join us - safety in numbers?

Agre about ship's prices. Extortionate Hoping there will be something going on in the city. You may want to join us - safety in numbers?

Yes, the seats in the Sambadrome boxes are approximately £90 if booked independently, but £500 with Fred! It’s likely I’ll be doing most excursions solo so safety in numbers definitely appeals. Glad to hear that the list of excursions will be published soon.

Hi,

I have made contact with the chap in Rio and have booked him for the Sunday. He can take two more people as he is on licenced for 4 passengers as a tour guide. He is going to charge 45 dollars per hour and says between 4 and 6 hours. This is what he sent

Hi, Mr Fowler..

How are you?

I got your text,let me answer now.

1-Any day, but have to start early, because the city will be full.

2-Aroud 6 hours

3- 45 US American Dollars per hour

4-04 people plus drive (Marco)

5-Corcovado, Sugar Loaf, Beaches( Copacabana, Ipanema,Leblon,São Conrado, )Historic Center.

6- We have good restaurants,it depend what kind of food you like.

Fish-Satiricon, Marius

Brazilian- Aprazivel , with open view

Meet- Fogo de Chão or Guiseppe Grill

Italian - Gero

Etc etc....

Regards

Marco

WE have informed him that we might have two more passengers with us and let him know nearer the time.

Its up to you let me know.

Harry Fowler

Yes, we are interested. Is that price pp or per group. If pp dearer than Fred? Saturday would be better for us as it would give us the chance to orientate ourselves, but still interested.

Bit alarmed at how many warnings of thieves etc, seems like every place (and we are experienced travelers)

It's as quoted per hour. He has been used before. He was recommended by fellow cruise passenger on one of our previous cruises. We have been to Rio before and do know of the problems that tourists suffer. Now that Fred has published the tours I think its a good deal. Sunday is the only day we have spare.

Harry

Hi Harry, Yes count us in Definite booking.

Do we pay him on the day? In dollars?

We are a retired couple from Poulton le Fylde near Blackpool. Experienced cruisers but only second time with Fred. We were booked onto the P&O Oriana which was canceled.

Perhaps we can meet up after we sail.

Val and John

Ok, I will let him know that it will be 4 passengers. It's payment on the day. We will be travelling down on Monday and staying at the Premier Inn as normal. We are both Oaps but quite fit and can get around. I will let you know when he has been informed. I'm off to play golf now.

Harry & Trish

Are you aware there is a specific roll call section of these forums, were you will find a roll call already started for this cruise in the Fred Olsen roll call section? Just thought this comment may be helpful to you as you are new posters who perhaps do not know these boards well.

Yes, I do know that and have tried to get on it from the link at the start of the forum on the first page of cruise critic. I have also sent an email to the help desk a few months ago but never got a reply.

Sorry to hear that, hope you can get it sorted as it leaves you very limited in use of this site. I had a problem logging in a few years ago, but eventually realised that I needed to click 'remember me' every time I logged in - they must have changed that because it used to work ok before that and I never tick those boxes.

Just one thought, do you realise you need to be logged in to access the roll call forums? The other forums can be read without being logged in, but not the roll call section. You always need to be logged in to post on any forum of course. If not that, someone else may be able to suggest what your problem may be.

Good Luck,

Barbara

Thanks, Barbara,

The interesting thing is that the company nor any of there ships are listed in the Roll Call list. I have travelled a number of times with Fred but this was the first time I thought about the site for this use. That's life.

I seem to have solved your problem.

It appears you have been clicking on a 'find your roll call' link at the top of the main page, which I have not seen before, but seems to bring up an ad hoc list (possibly by most recently posted on).

If you go to the main page (https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/) then scroll down to the roll call section (just under half way down) and click on the link for 'Fred Olsen Roll Calls', you will be in Fred's roll call section. There is no sub division for the individual ships, but to be honest it is not needed as there are not a lot there. There is a 'search forum' link, but I suspect you would need to get the wording very accurate to pull up a thread. As I said before, you will not be able to view the individual roll calls unless you are logged in.

You are right that there is not much activity on Fred's roll calls, there are times I have started on and there have been no takers at all though there does seem to be much more activity with the less common itineraries as other options for those seem to be diminishing and those left are getting so expensive. We have met some interesting, like minded people through the system on some cruises.

Fred's older shops do have there problems and must admit, our future bookings are more along the lines of land holidays, perhaps combined with river cruises in unusual world locations, but we still keep an eye out for what Fred is offering. He does cruises north pretty well compared to other cruise lines and cruises like yours sound interesting - hope you enjoy it.

Hope that helps with you problem,

Barbara

Yes, that is the one I use normally. I'm not certain if we will be doing long cruises much longer as it seems that Fred 6 week ones are getting fewer and fewer. I see from the news that carnival has increased their profit by a nice percent owing to increased prices. We will have to see what the refit is like on Balmoral. I hope they have given new carpets a good hover as if they don't it gets into the air conditioning and caused a lot of chest problems. When you are old like me not good.

I'm sure we will enjoy the cruise.

Thanks

Harry

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, the seats in the Sambadrome boxes are approximately £90 if booked independently, but £500 with Fred! It’s likely I’ll be doing most excursions solo so safety in numbers definitely appeals. Glad to hear that the list of excursions will be published soon.

How are you getting on with tours? Have you found anyone for independent trips? Val