No credit card surcharges after 13th January 2018

WeeCountyMan

That's the theory.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2018/01/cards-fees-to-be-banned-from-saturday?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=09-Jan-18-7212&utm_campaign=nt-oneliners-two&utm_content=17

I'm going to call FO later to enquire on how it'll impact on customers with a balance to pay on an existing booking, and also implications for future reservations.

FO tell me they've dropped credit card surcharges as of 1st January - my cruise booking agency have advised a letter will be sent out soonest to explain the situation. The call assistant would not commit to an answer but expects they'll drop the additional fee likewise.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Tickets arrived yesterday for our Amazon cruise. In the section on settling on board spend it said (* Payment by credit card will attract a 1.5% fee, whereas there is no charge on debit card payments.) I take it that because Braemar is registered in the Bahamas FO can continue to charge for the use of a credit card.

I take it that because Braemar is registered in the Bahamas FO can continue to charge for the use of a credit card.
Interesting question.

Not sure about onboard spend - I spoke with FO yesterday after posting here - no CC fees since 1st January 2018 - confirmed on their website.

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/help/booking-a-cruise/credit-card-surcharge

You have flagged up a point most of us would not have recognised beforehand.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Interesting question.

Not sure about onboard spend - I spoke with FO yesterday after posting here - no CC fees since 1st January 2018 - confirmed on their website.

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/help/booking-a-cruise/credit-card-surcharge

You have flagged up a point most of us would not have recognised beforehand.

If you go to the help section on the website in the on board section, the question about money on board states that no fees are added to credit cards.

Sent from my Fusion5 using Forums mobile app

Dropping this charge makes a real difference, it could be quite an add on.

We now tend to book all holidays with a credit card simply for the additional protection this provides in the event of problems eg last year another cruise line erroneously took a deposit off twice months after the first one was paid . Also if you use a debit card all lines put a hold on a certain amount each day and it can take up to a month for the bank to release back your own money which is on hold.

I suspect that companies will find another way to get their money back. Perhaps if they had charged what credit actually cost them and not added on a nice big profit the law would not have been changed.

Interestingly HMRC will no longer accept credit card payments for tax returns as they say it costs them approximately 0.6% of the sum paid.

If you go to the help section on the website in the on board section, the question about money on board states that no fees are added to credit cards.

Thanks Northern Boy, well spotted - that appears to contradict what cruisecampo flagged up in post 2 above.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fred's revised terms and conditions have yet to be updated for paperwork mailed out for existing bookings.

Interestingly HMRC will no longer accept credit card payments for tax returns as they say it costs them approximately 0.6% of the sum paid.

The UK parliament enacts legislation - then a vital part of government does a bodyswerve to avoid it !!!

As Robert Burns said - "what a parcel of rogues in a nation" !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just clocked another interesting item.

If you cruise or holiday in the EU then the Metro Bank debit card is worth considering - no ATM fees.

Previously you had to open the account in person in branch - now it can be done online.

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/

Actually it's the SEPA zone which is wider than "Europe" in strict geographical terms.

BTW - the new(ish) Starling debit card is commission free worldwide