Princess (New) Ships Aren't "Game Changers", Why?

need2cruisesoon

I've gotta give MSC (Seaside), X (Edge) and NCL (Bliss) credit for introducing new ships with Game Changing design and unique layouts.

I'm wondering why Princess and also HAL remain stale with new ship design innovations?

I am very excited about the Sky and look forward to my first voyage on her. I also find comfort in the Grand class ships and how I feel at home on them. At this point I think Princess is doing a great job in (slowly) updating their ships but keeping the same "feel". I go on a Princess Cruise because of the ability to relax. There is always plenty to do, but to me a larger, more crowded ship with zip lines, wave pools, carousels and the like just does not attract me. I am happy there are lines that have those things so people can choose, but I am also very glad that Princess is staying the course for the most part.

Princess (and HAL) believe in incremental changes. They deliberately strive for a familiar look and feel so passengers are comfortable boarding any Princess (or HAL) ship.

Not sure what kind of “game changing” updates or differences you feel are necessary.

What I would like to see as "game changing" is that Princess get into the 21st century with modern internet. Yeah, I know they are "working on it". I just hope by the time it gets rolled out, they aren't behind in technology again. ***** is very ambitious and if they can deliver on the original promise then it is pretty "game changing" for Princess.

The other thing I would like them to go against the grain on is maintain the quality and ask us to pay reasonable cost increases. I don't want to pay the same price now as five years ago or five years from now and give up quality of food, drink and entertainment in the process.

Princess is going through an identity crisis -- Moving away from 'Premium' cruise-line status towards 'mainstream' cruise-line status.

They are taking a reactive approach to modernization rather than a proactive strategy. AKA - They are trying to follow the herd, instead of leading from the front. Concepts like club-class(w/ no real value), skywalks, glowing fountains = smoke & mirrors.

Princess is desperately trying to replenish its aging loyal customer base w/ the next generation of cruisers, but they have fuddy duddys at the helm that are failing to figure out what is 'cool' & 'hip'. Princess would like to bill itself as Nordstrom,Macy's or Kohls, w/out the understanding that Amazon is crushing them all.

How bout a South Beach Pool and rear elevators

9b8c09c698f86380d1046e11b51ec742.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Granted that ship is game changing in it’s outside design, but after seeing it in person the inside isn’t game changing.

I was on the Regal in December for a cruise and overnight on the Seaside on 12/21 for the naming ceremony plus watch that ship leave every week. There are some great things but there are also some design flaws on that ship just like there was on the Regal.

Not as impressed as I thought I would be with the ship. Hated that you couldn’t get from the back of the ship where there were some bars to the specialty dining restaurant without going down a level. Also the very low ceilings. At 5 ft 7 I didn’t expect to always be able to touch the ceiling!

With regards to the Promenade deck, take into consideration the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) rules implemented after the Costa Concordia disaster. Princess, and other lines, must follow the SOLAS rules and regulations. Can’t blame Princess which it appears people are doing.

Although I love the Regal and the Royal, I do think the ship besides the atrium a bit bla nothing to talk about. The none promenade deck was a major flaw and they should of upgraded the bars. I do find the food to be very good and the Normand Love dessert à plus. As to answering the OP Princess might not have game changer ships for now but as what I have read MSC Seaside is nothing to talk about except maybe being beautiful . X Edge and NCL Bliss can we wait until they sail before saying they are game changers.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

The game changer I’d like to see is the return of s9me small ships, but I know that’s not likely.

I agree. Going on the Sea Princess in a week and the Sun in May. Sad to see my favourite, the Dawn Princess, go to P&O.

One I really loved was the old Starship Gemini that I sailed on in 1998. What a beauty that 'small' (in the cruising world today) ship was.

When the Royal came out, I thought we'd never want to sail on it. But we did last month and had a great time. I did miss walking around an outside Promenade Deck. The little patios they have on the Promenade Deck at least gave me a closer look at the sea. The really big downside, though, is that they don't offer the shade that the walkable Promenade Decks on other ships do.

Our balcony was narrow. Nevertheless we still had enough room for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. We had the Rhodes Suite, so the extra room in the cabin made up for the narrower balcony.

We're sailing on the Regal next month in a regular balcony cabin. We toured the Regal a little over a year ago on a Bon Voyage Experience. The thing I noticed about the Royal was how familiar it became within a few days. I remember thinking that the Regal felt so much larger than the other ships we had sailed on.

This is why there are many cruise lines, many ships to choose. Everyone has different ideas as to what they want in a cruise ship, cruise lines to adjust to their clientele. Drastic or game changing for Princess, don't see it and why would they? Their formula seems to be working and the Royal class ships are very popular.

Rear elevators are a game changer and important? I'm rarely in an elevator, don't like them, not a changer for me. I prefer some exercise using the stairs.

My wife and I prefer a cruise ship that feels like a ship, and not the Mall of America. We’ve tried nearly every major line (except Carnival), but have found that Princess strikes a good balance between classic-style ship travel and modern amenities. I’ll pass on the zip lines and floating bars; the ocean is the attraction for me.

Amen, leaving on Regal (again) in two weeks! Love the elegance of this one and Royal. Don’t need, or want zip lines or Ice skating or a shopping mall experience. We experienced Quantum of the Sea for a month a couple of years ago during a repositioning cruise and enjoyed the artwork more than the bumper cars and wall climbing, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They destroyed the promenade and shrunk the balconies. That was a game changer for me.

I agree that was annoying but not having outside cabins was more so.

I'm either forced to go to an expensive balcony or the dreaded inside closet like cabins. :(

On longer cruises it makes a big difference in the total cost.

With regards to the Promenade deck, take into consideration the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) rules implemented after the Costa Concordia disaster. Princess, and other lines, must follow the SOLAS rules and regulations. Can’t blame Princess which it appears people are doing.

I am not aware of any SOLAS changes, with regard to lifeboat embarkation deck or promenade deck design, that came about because of the Concordia. The changes that I know have been implemented, and those that are being considered nearly all have to do with equipment segregation, navigation, and stability.

What changes are you referring to?

If anything, I would have expected the IMO to make promenade decks larger to go back to outside musters under the boats.

I am not aware of any SOLAS changes, with regard to lifeboat embarkation deck or promenade deck design, that came about because of the Concordia. The changes that I know have been implemented, and those that are being considered nearly all have to do with equipment segregation, navigation, and stability.

What changes are you referring to?

If anything, I would have expected the IMO to make promenade decks larger to go back to outside musters under the boats.

Plus - there are other ships since then that are built with Promenade decks since then. She posts this several times and people have questioned her but I have never understood what she means either.

I am also curious.

I am very excited about the Sky and look forward to my first voyage on her. I also find comfort in the Grand class ships and how I feel at home on them. At this point I think Princess is doing a great job in (slowly) updating their ships but keeping the same "feel". I go on a Princess Cruise because of the ability to relax. There is always plenty to do, but to me a larger, more crowded ship with zip lines, wave pools, carousels and the like just does not attract me. I am happy there are lines that have those things so people can choose, but I am also very glad that Princess is staying the course for the most part.

I agree 100 percent. In not into zip lines, wave surfing, ice skating and the like. I cruise to relax and get away from high intense activities.

Thanks Princess.

We really like the Royal class what do you object too?

Especially on deck 16 where you can watch the ocean go by under your feet.

How about ridiculous balconies, useless pools, useless water show, Princess live!. Princess new ships aren't even IN the game.