Jeans Turned Away on Gala Night

ithaca gal

we just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Eurodam

On the first Gala Night, a couple came to the MDR with the man wearing jeans with multiple holes in them, a T-shirt and a ball cap.

The maitre’d politely asked asked that they dine elsewhere.

(Almost all men dining in the MDR that night had a tie on or were wearing a jacket and tie.)

Thats great, but they need to enforce the dress rule at all times. Whilst on the Eurodam, a women was turned away quite rightly wearing shorts, but they let her boyfriend in with shorts. It should be no shorts on any night in the MDR

we just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Eurodam

On the first Gala Night, a couple came to the MDR with the man wearing jeans with multiple holes in them, a T-shirt and a ball cap.

The maitre’d politely asked asked that they dine elsewhere.

(Almost all men dining in the MDR that night had a tie on or were wearing a jacket and tie.)

I told the Misses to sew up those holes in my jeans before we went on the Eurodam. :D. And what's wrong with wearing a Alabama football cap; they just won the national championship. PS: I'm not advertising but you can see my review of my cruise on the Eurodam; "The not to late review of the Eurodam."

Glad to hear that the dining room manager made that couple go elsewhere.

This jean wearing and short wearing has gotten out of hand.

Dress codes are rapidly changing in most venues due to economic trends and the changing ideas of style.

Cruise lines that try to hang onto the outdated dress codes face mounting pressure to change, and they will do so or they will fail to remain competitive.

Cruise lines that try to hang onto the outdated dress codes face mounting pressure to change, and they will do so or they will fail to remain competitive.

I disagree - the jean wearing cap wearing folks will go to a more casual line and those of us who like to dress and don't mind following rules will love it

Dress codes are rapidly changing in most venues due to economic trends and the changing ideas of style.

Not necessarily. Fortunately there are cruise lines for a wide variety of tastes, whether it be entertainment, dining or dress codes. Cunard lowered their standards slightly several years ago. (Jacket and tie were required of gents on non-formal nights, now ties are optional but worn by a very large number of men because they want to.) Most of their regular passengers are happy about fairly traditional dress standards. Cunard doesn't appear to have suffered. Since Carnival bought Cunard, three new ships were built and the QE2 was retired. A fourth ship has been ordered.

I'm not surprised that HAL changed "formal" to "gala" considering that casually-dressed people - and even a few slobs - were admitted to the MDR on formal nights on a cruise we took in 2015.

Changes are not always in the same direction. Widely accepted "ideas of style" might come to exclude acceptability of slovenly attire in some locations.

Interesting - I think I will speak up if I see them letting in less than nice clothing in MDR

"Nice" is a subjective word, and can't really be enforced. What is nice to you, may not appear nice to another person. The MDR manager did enforce the rule of no jeans on gala night, and not a subjective decision as to whether the guest looked nice.