I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Cruise Cat

2 miles on Wed and 3 miles on Thurs. So 132 miles to go.

Then - on Friday I rode my bike to work. Never did that before. Kind of like it. Might try to do it a couple of times a week while the days are long and the weather suits me. 18 miles round trip. So now I have to decide if I can only get to the ship by walking, or if biking miles will count too.

I took a three mile walk in the rain. The weather is so disgusting it should count for six. Today is my birthday. Normally I'm wearing shorts and a tank top for a walk or bike ride on my day. Today I wore jeans and my warmest hoodie - over two other layers. Yuck.

Yay! I took the day off from work, woke up (late:))to a beautiful sunny day and headed out for a walk. I just kept on walking, a convoluted route that I haven't done before and when I got home and checked - I had gone 11 miles! Only 118 miles to go before I'm on my ship.

• 2 weeks later...

catch up time; I've been walking and biking but I'll only count my walk miles

since 5/23 I've taken several 2-3 mile walks and a couple of 8 mile and longer ones - totalling 30 mi so 88 mi to go - and too much time - need to rethink this

My moonboot is off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can start taking walks now! I have to do some physiotherapy on my leg though, so I'll have to take it easy for a bit. lol

DCwalker, youve been doing such a great job OMG

Where is your cruise to??

Hey, violetmoon! Yay!!! Have you started walking yet? I'm still walking; and started biking, too. Summer has arrived. I love love love summer and have to be outside moving. (hmmm . . . so what am I doing on cruisecritice at 1:30 on a beautiful Sunday afternoon?) But I've lost track of my mileage. I have to figure this out. Our cruise is to the Bahamas.

Update me on your progress.

Hey dcwalker!

I've started walking again but have decided that for now, I'm just tracking my steps using my Fitbit. Just trying to get the minimum 10,000 recommended daily in. Since I hardly moved for 8 weeks, it's a lot tougher than I thought!

Then towards the end of the day, my leg gets achy, but the docs said it would be for a while.

I'm starting yoga back up this week. I've decided to go to a studio instead of doing it in my living room where my cat can break my leg again.

Hahaha

Isabel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm back! There are 678 miles from home to the Port of Miami and I have 163 days. That averages to over 4 miles a day. Because I know myself, I know that this is not something that will happen so I need to devise a different plan. Last time, I ran from home to the port and back (because the port is so close to home), maybe this time I'll cut myself some slack and do half the distance to a port that is much farther away?

So, since the cruise that I last ran for, I've been on only one cruise. I know... life is tough. I've also started to actually consider myself a runner. I've been running for years but never any "real" distance. While training for a Half Marathon, I was able to run a full 9 miles without stopping to walk. I haven't done that since October, but I did it, and I'm darn proud. In November I completed my first Half Marathon and in January a 15K. I have a 10K coming up in a week and I'm determined that I will be able to run this whole thing.

If there's one thing I've learned in the past year that I've become more serious about running, just because you can do it, it doesn't mean it's easy. And it doesn't mean that fewer miles are easy. I still struggle with 5Ks. Maybe it's a brain thing, maybe it's living in the worst humidity known to man. I don't know. But running is a hard, but very rewarding, sport. And I love it.

In any case, I do not and will not run over 4 miles every day for the next 163 days. Partly because... no.... and partly because I'm fairly certain I would end up with injuries because my body isn't accustomed to that. So cutting the distance in half is the plan :)

Miles ran: 0

Miles left: 339

Days left: 163

Oh, wow! I'm so glad to see someone on my favorite thread again. I have a couple of cruises booked, pretty far out, one in September and one in November. I have to do some math and come up with a plan - no running, but some walking and biking. Don't go away. Please!

Hi I would like to join your thread.. I have been back to getting fit this year. Joined the gym January 2nd and losing weight and better health are my goals. Had a few discs in my back repaired last year. I ran a 5k just before St Patricks day and it really bothered my back but am at the gym on the treadmill most days, use and elliptical machine and bike on occasion as well. I am on my next cruise which is sailing from Baltimore and that's 285miles from where I live.. So I need to average just under 5 miles a day to get there.. I would love the extra motivation of checking in with you.. Good luck and health, Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to be back! And I won't go anywhere. I'll probably check in once a week, maybe longer depending on how busy work is. In my last job, downtime was a very familiar thing. Not-so-much now, which I actually love. The weeks fly by!

So last week was a rest week because I was hellbent on running this whole 10K and didn't want to risk injury. I did it!! I do, however, take my time at water stops so I stopped two times for about a minute at a time. I'm still extremely proud to have made my goal of running every bit of it, though!

Following the 10K I worked a festival and just recovered from the weekend today. Thankfully with so many days left, it won't be hard to make up for the distance I've lost.

I ran on the treadmill for the first time in a long time today, it was so weird! But I'm trying to get myself conditioned to run faster. I'm usually hanging steady at an 11:40 minute mile when I run outside and today I knocked almost a minute off with my legs having no choice but to go with a revolving belt lol.

Miles ran: 20.77

Miles left: 318.23

Days left: 151

tdnosnhoj11, congrats on the 10K. In about a week I'll figure out my distance goal and start logging my journey to my ship. This weekend I have a 39 mile fund-raising walk - 26 mi Sat and 13 mi Sun - so that's been motivating me to keep moving. After that I'll use "I'm running to the ship" as my motivation. Keep up the good work and I'll see you next week!

Hello, I would like to join your thread! I'm just getting back to regular activity after a knee injury.

I am 1,233 miles from our cruise and have 283 days to go. That comes out to 4.4 miles per day. I better get moving!!!!

I stopped using a Fitbit a while ago so I'll just keep track by treadmill or by estimating when I am walking outside. I'll probably do mostly walking with some jogging thrown in.

dcwalker, I actually know someone who did that same walk! The Avon 39, right? That's a tremendous accomplishment and for a great cause. I followed her 39 mile journey through Facebook posts and may very well consider doing it myself one year.

This has been a HOT week! A lot of these are not miles I ran, there was a fair amount of walking (in fact, three of the 16 miles since my last check in were walked... I gave myself a running break lol) but I'm working on getting my body acclimated to running in this Florida heat. It's funny- I hate cold weather with a passion but right now I'm wishing for a little bit of cooler weather.

Miles ran: 33.66

Miles left: 301.4

Days left: 144

dcwalker, I actually know someone who did that same walk! The Avon 39, right? That's a tremendous accomplishment and for a great cause. I followed her 39 mile journey through Facebook posts and may very well consider doing it myself one year.

Oh, that's so cool! That is the walk I did. You have to do it. The Avon39 is such a great cause and such a well-managed charity and the event itself is organized in such a way that despite what the weather throws at you, you come away having loved every minute of the weekend. You gotta try it. Good work on the mileage! I'll wish cooler weather for you if you'll wish warmer weather for me

So here we go - my cruise port is only 531 miles away, with 121 days to wait :(, which works out to only 30.6 miles a week - with summer coming that wouldn't be much of a challenge. So I googled the distance between my home and Half Moon Cay, which is 124 days away. The distance is 989 miles (flying across the ocean, but oh well) I have to shoot for 55.8 miles a week. With walking and biking I should be able to do that.

just finished a lunch break walk with co-workers - 2 miles down, 987 to go! Woo hoo!

Wow! You get some serious mileage throughout your weeks! I've counted my elliptical miles but will begin counting bike miles as well, considering there are days where I need to take a break from the heat and get a workout inside. Alright, here goes:

Miles ran: 54.24

Miles left: 280.82

Days left: 137

I'm wondering, if I include bike miles, if I could actually make the total distance from here to the ship. I'm not going to hold myself to that just yet though. After all- I'm still at a 14+ ,mile week, it might be a stretch to expect a 28+ mile week when I'm pretty much limited to my lunch breaks and Saturday mornings (I need Sunday to rest lol) for my workouts. Plus, I'd like to get back in to weights and that would take a portion of my lunch breaks. I NEED to get back in to weights, although I run, I'm out of shape (5' 2" 143 pound female... which is considered overweight :loudcry: :rolleyes: :confused:) and need to tone up several areas. I found my stomach to be really weak during the half marathon and I need to get it in to some sort of shape (not round) before my next one in November. I guess I could get in a 30 minute Beach Body workout after work each day, but that takes time out of binge watching The Office... so........

Ye-eah - I'm looking at that 55.8 mi a week. That is ambitious. I'll give it a try. I am crazy active in the summertime. I love heat.

You definitely have the right idea to include weights and other workouts in your fitness routine. I always say I have to do some strength training for upper body, and stretching, but I just haven't found the motivation I have for walking and biking. I'm in a rut.

Added some miles - lunchtime walks 2 miles each day Mon through Thurs; biked to work today - round trip 18 miles so down to 943 miles to go in the next 112 days - definitely not averaging 56 mi. per week!