Never again

Quiltincruiser

Ship docked in Castries, St. Lucia at 10:00 am. Cleared customs at 10:30. Went ashore at 10:50. Assaulted and absolutely beaten down by the tour and taxi people at the pier, we turned around and were back on ship by 11:20. Will never go ashore in Castries again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have tee shirts from every Caribbean island that I have been to .When I go to St.Lucia I will wear a St.Lucia tee shirt .They know that I have been there before and do not hassle me.

• 2 weeks later...
It is an awful experience to be bombarded like that, but unfortunately it can happen in multiple ports. One tip I have is to WAIT for a while before departing the ship. Most of the tour operators are there right after arrival. But if you give it an hour or two before you set ashore its gets much quieter.

So true!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I often sail solo and as a solo female, have always walked through the throngs and firmly, but politely, said No Thank You! and kept walking. On this island, I simply said "I have a tour with Cosol" and they left me alone.

St Lucia is beautiful. I feel bad that people will miss a beautiful island just because they won't walk though a crowd. As others have said, the vast majority of the people on these islands are very poor. Even those of us who are not wealthy are in comparison. We show up by the thousands to invade their island paradise on a daily basis. I do not begrudge them one bit for trying to make a living off of the tourism. That's about the only way they can these days.

Anyway, did my 3rd tour with Cosol on 11/12. Had Baptist as our driver, who I'd also had on my first visit in May 2009! It was great to see him again.

Fantastic tour. Lots to see. Good food and drinks. And the beautiful beach between the Pitons. Cannot believe anyone would say there's little to see there!

Of course, if your idea of a "good" Caribbean port is one with tacky tourist shops and a Margaritaville or Senor Frogs, you'll be disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW, I have been sailing 25+ years in the Caribbean and for some reason was never able to book one with St Lucia. I am St Thomas, Antigua'd out, with the other islands being hit every couple of years. SO, I have been looking forward to visiting St Lucia, but these posts remind me of it being kind of an Antigua. Which we have no problem, because we just go over the boardwalk and leave through the other gate. What is at the port, being our first time, we don't want to do a tour, just get a lay of the land, so they say. What kind of shops are nearby, restaurants?

That is so unfortunate, as this is one of our very favourite islands in the Caribbean. For those who are planning to travel to St Lucia we only tour with Frank's St Lucia Taxi and Tours. He was recommended by our travel agent a few years ago, and we have toured the island with him twice - no issues, no problems. In fact, he took us everywhere on the island and showed us how wonderful this place in paradise is. He is well known and well respected here.

Do you know if Franks is still in business? The email came back failed and his FB page is outdated.

WOW, I have been sailing 25+ years in the Caribbean and for some reason was never able to book one with St Lucia. I am St Thomas, Antigua'd out, with the other islands being hit every couple of years. SO, I have been looking forward to visiting St Lucia, but these posts remind me of it being kind of an Antigua. Which we have no problem, because we just go over the boardwalk and leave through the other gate. What is at the port, being our first time, we don't want to do a tour, just get a lay of the land, so they say. What kind of shops are nearby, restaurants?

There's little in Castries proper for visitors. It's not a pretty city, it's very much a working capital and there's not much in walking distance to explore.

Castries Craft and Food Market is right nearby, and was named third best food market in the world by NatGeo a few years back. Interesting to stroll and see the different produce, meats, spices, etc. There's some food stalls if you want to have a local meal.

The Cathedral of Immaculate Conception is fairly close by, worth a walk past - you'll also pass Derek Walcott Square, which is a small lovely Park.

Or walk over to Vigie Beach - 20-30 minute walk, with boardwalk, beach, chairs, local food and drink, etc.

There's shopping inside the port areas, typical tourist ships, DI, etc. St Lucia isn't a shopping destination like other islands, namely St Thomas or St Maarten.

Pigeon Island is a lovely natural Park with history, ruins, small beach, some hiking, and excellent fare at Jambe des Bois.

Otherwise, for views, etc you'll need a cab ride at the least - up Morne Fortune for some excellent views, then over to Pink Plantation for wonderful fresh local meals. Or up to Rodney Bay for more dining options, beach, etc

St Lucia is much better known for our natural lush tropical scenery and Pitons, etc - none of which is near port. You'd need a tour or taxi ride down to Soufriere to see what really sets ups apart from the likes of Antigua or St Thomas, etc.

Enjoy.

There's little in Castries proper for visitors. It's not a pretty city, it's very much a working capital and there's not much in walking distance to explore.

Castries Craft and Food Market is right nearby, and was named third best food market in the world by NatGeo a few years back. Interesting to stroll and see the different produce, meats, spices, etc. There's some food stalls if you want to have a local meal.

The Cathedral of Immaculate Conception is fairly close by, worth a walk past - you'll also pass Derek Walcott Square, which is a small lovely Park.

Or walk over to Vigie Beach - 20-30 minute walk, with boardwalk, beach, chairs, local food and drink, etc.

There's shopping inside the port areas, typical tourist ships, DI, etc. St Lucia isn't a shopping destination like other islands, namely St Thomas or St Maarten.

Pigeon Island is a lovely natural Park with history, ruins, small beach, some hiking, and excellent fare at Jambe des Bois.

Otherwise, for views, etc you'll need a cab ride at the least - up Morne Fortune for some excellent views, then over to Pink Plantation for wonderful fresh local meals. Or up to Rodney Bay for more dining options, beach, etc

St Lucia is much better known for our natural lush tropical scenery and Pitons, etc - none of which is near port. You'd need a tour or taxi ride down to Soufriere to see what really sets ups apart from the likes of Antigua or St Thomas, etc.

Enjoy.

So you would recommended that we do a tour vs just hanging around the dock area

So you would recommended that we do a tour vs just hanging around the dock area

Very much so, highly recommend doing so as there's just little about the dock area that's pleasant, or different than other islands. You're visiting a new place, surely you want to see/explore what makes it different than elsewhere!

Cosol does a wonderful trip, as does Spencer Ambrose, Herod's, Serenity TVL, St Lucia Experience, etc.

Very much so, highly recommend doing so as there's just little about the dock area that's pleasant, or different than other islands. You're visiting a new place, surely you want to see/explore what makes it different than elsewhere!

Cosol does a wonderful trip, as does Spencer Ambrose, Herod's, Serenity TVL, St Lucia Experience, etc.

Thanks,

I will check into a tour, but I prefer the ships tours, YES I know they are more expensive, but I don't like just throwing caution to the wind....especially if I have never been to the port before

Ship docked in Castries, St. Lucia at 10:00 am. Cleared customs at 10:30. Went ashore at 10:50. Assaulted and absolutely beaten down by the tour and taxi people at the pier, we turned around and were back on ship by 11:20. Will never go ashore in Castries again!

Just back from St. Lucia. There are two places that the ships dock. We were docked in the more industrial area. We booked with Cosol, and can't say enough good things about him. It is a long tour, but extremely reasonable. Some people did approach us outside while we were waiting, but we just said "No", and we had booked with Cosol, and were left alone.

That being said, you have to be aware of your surroundings. While leaving the ship, one PAX asked what island we were on, then asked the same question to someone on the gangway, then at least twice on the street. That person did get approached multiple times, but I cannot blame the vendors. Please have some plan for what you want to do before you leave the ship. Just my two cents....

Regards,

Mike

Enjoy.

Hello reedprincess,

My main goal in St. Lucia is to go to a bar on a beach and have a piston beer. I'm not into sight seeing. So do you have any recommendations for me? Is there a bar or restaurant on Vigie beach that I can just sit and enjoy a beer? Thank you for your time and input. I'll be in St. Lucia in April 2018.

Hello reedprincess,

My main goal in St. Lucia is to go to a bar on a beach and have a piston beer. I'm not into sight seeing. So do you have any recommendations for me? Is there a bar or restaurant on Vigie beach that I can just sit and enjoy a beer? Thank you for your time and input. I'll be in St. Lucia in April 2018.

Not sure you'll find piston beer here. Never seen it anywhere.

You can head to Vigie Beach boardwalk and enjoy ice cold Piton beers.

Enjoy.

This thread was started last October.

St Lucia is one of our favourite Caribbean islands, but we also did the tour with Cosol's which was the best excursion we have done in the Caribbean. Never felt uncomfortable or threatened at all.

This is a port of call where my recommendation is to either do a tour or stay on the ship. There is very little to see on your own and my own view is once you get a few blocks from the port it is scary.

Keith

I found a myriad of stuff to do on my own by just wandering around. There's a place right on the main drag across the street from the cruise terminal called TT's Tourist Paradise. I thought, "well hell, I'm a tourist!" so I went in. I was the only tourist there but the beer was cold and the folks were friendly. Another spot I enjoyed visiting was a local fast food franchise. I don't recall the name but it reminded me of a Whattaburger out of Texas. It wasn't bad and it was interesting to see St. Lucia's take on American style fast food. I think I was the only white person in the whole place. I had some postcards to mail so I asked directions to the post office and that was interesting. I had to wait in line like everybody else but what a great way to get a sense of what a place is like. Another favorite spot was an outdoor market that sold all manner of fruits and vegetables, fish and fowl.

I've done tours to the mud volcano and to the Pitons but there's nothing better than hanging out and rubbing shoulders with the locals.

My wife and I visited St Lucia in December, after our last bad experience at this port we stayed on the ship.

Over the years the taxi's and the beach vendors became too controlling. Usually you tell the taxi where you want to go, not in St Lucia they tell you where they will take you! Also upon reaching Rodney Bay (where else!), the sun bed vendors would not only try to rip you off, they would also tell you where you will be sitting!

Then you have to face a constant stream of vendors selling the usual rubbish, who then berate you when you don't buy anything. It's about time the cruise lines stopped calling at St Lucia, perhaps then the locals would start treating the cruise passengers with respect.

That is so unfortunate, as this is one of our very favourite islands in the Caribbean. For those who are planning to travel to St Lucia we only tour with Frank's St Lucia Taxi and Tours. He was recommended by our travel agent a few years ago, and we have toured the island with him twice - no issues, no problems. In fact, he took us everywhere on the island and showed us how wonderful this place in paradise is. He is well known and well respected here.

Please, How much did Frank's Taxi tours cost?

My wife and I visited St Lucia in December, after our last bad experience at this port we stayed on the ship.

Over the years the taxi's and the beach vendors became too controlling. Usually you tell the taxi where you want to go, not in St Lucia they tell you where they will take you! Also upon reaching Rodney Bay (where else!), the sun bed vendors would not only try to rip you off, they would also tell you where you will be sitting!

Then you have to face a constant stream of vendors selling the usual rubbish, who then berate you when you don't buy anything. It's about time the cruise lines stopped calling at St Lucia, perhaps then the locals would start treating the cruise passengers with respect.

Never had that happen to us in St Luica.

Too bad you missed a great port!

Never had that happen to us in St Luica.

Too bad you missed a great port!

Hi Arzeena, that was my point, we have visited St Lucia on many occasions. In the early days it was fine, it's only lately that things have deteriorated.

Hi Arzeena, that was my point, we have visited St Lucia on many occasions. In the early days it was fine, it's only lately that things have deteriorated.

I respect your opinion. I am very comfortable with St Lucia and I have only been there in later years so cannot compare to the early glory days. Perhaps we look at things differently because we all have different experiences.

You can get a Piton beer without leaving the enclosed port area. Head to the Pink Papaya for beer and some pretty decent fish or jerk chicken wraps. They are much different than in the US or Mexico but watch out for the mango and scotch bonnet peppers hot sauce. I love it but many find it to be too hot. They have wi-fi free so you'll see crew there too. The place is family run and started out years back with only beer and fish sandwiches. It is also clean and they often have music now. Not a bad stop on the way out or back to the ship.