Explore the world with Pete & Judy on the 2018 Holland America Grand World Voyage

The-Inside-Cabin

Come along with The Inside Cabin as we embark on another Grand World Voyage aboard the ms Amsterdam.

We are going to have an amazing adventure as we circle the globe in 113 days. After we return to Fort Lauderdale April 28th we will hop onto the Crystal Symphony for a re-positioning cruise back to the west coast.

The first official step of our 2018 Grand World Voyage was shipping our advance bags via FEDEX to the ms Amsterdam. Even though the ship doesn’t arrive in Fort Lauderdale until January 4th, 2018, we are required to ship the bags on December 18th so the Holland America staff has time to process all the bags and get them ready for the ship. It’s probably a good thing regardless as it forces you to get some stuff ready sooner so you can’t leave all your packing until the last minute.

As you can see from this picture, we shipped seven items – 4 bags and 3 boxes. This is down from 8 bags/boxes on the 2016 cruise – as we decided to not take some items that we didn’t use very much.

Fedex-Shipment.jpg?zoom=2&resize=500%2C375

There is always an expectation that you will have so much spare time that you will be able to do certain things that you don’t have time for on a shorter cruise. We found that we stayed pretty busy all the time and didn’t really have much time for other stuff.

Judy is an outstanding packer and she very efficiently used all the space in each bag. One item that has proven to be very valuable are the eBags Packing Cubes. She also inventoried and itemized the contents of every bag which makes it easy to pack for the next time – as well as easy to file a claim if something is missing. She used our 2016 packing inventory as a checklist for our packing for this cruise.

More to come as we begin this wonderful voyage. As always you will be able to find copies of the daily menus, "Where and Whens" and the name of the featured entertainer on the blog. It will all be in the drop down menus.

I have also included links to all the other world cruise bloggers on my front page.

The first page of the blog for the 2018 World Cruise will show a world map with a marker for each day’s post – this will allow you to easily see where we are plus jump around to find any particular port of interest.

www.theinsidecabin.com

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Look forward to your reviews. Looks like we will be covered from all angles with three different people posting a thread on your cruise.

By the way, very interesting CC name, "The-Inside-Cabin". Does that mean if you are offered an upgrade to The Neptune Suite you have to decline since it does not fit your CC name :D

Look forward to your reviews. Looks like we will be covered from all angles with three different people posting a thread on your cruise.

By the way, very interesting CC name, "The-Inside-Cabin". Does that mean if you are offered an upgrade to The Neptune Suite you have to decline since it does not fit your CC name :D

The Inside Cabin is from my Navy days...nowadays we always book something with a view.

I would not turn down a Neptune Suite[emoji3][emoji7]

Thank you for your blog.

A few cell phone questions.

Have you changed your carrier or plan?

When you use Uber in other countries does it up your data use?

Safe travels

We did not change cell phone plans. After much review we decided to stick with ATT and use their $10 a day plan which gives you the same service you have in the USA while in any other country.

You pay the $10 only when in port and if you use data, voice or send a text. I will most often tether my phone to Judy's so we on,y have to pay one fee. We have also used glocalme https://www.glocalme.com and we will continue to use them in certain ports - probably where we spend a lot of time....Australia and NZ

Using UBER does require a data plan.

We did not change cell phone plans. After much review we decided to stick with ATT and use their $10 a day plan which gives you the same service you have in the USA while in any other country.

How do you handle this for a world cruise? Per the AT&T website: "This option may be removed if international talk, text, or data use exceeds 50% of your total talk, text, or data use for two consecutive months." Since a world cruiser is gone for nearly 4 months, wouldn't this option be removed and, if so, what do you do?

I ask since we'll be taking our first world cruise in 2019 and I'm so appreciating the advice of experienced world cruisers.

Bob

How do you handle this for a world cruise? Per the AT&T website: "This option may be removed if international talk, text, or data use exceeds 50% of your total talk, text, or data use for two consecutive months." Since a world cruiser is gone for nearly 4 months, wouldn't this option be removed and, if so, what do you do?

I ask since we'll be taking our first world cruise in 2019 and I'm so appreciating the advice of experienced world cruisers.

Bob

At first I thought the 50% meant 50% of the plan limit - meaning if you had a 6 GB plan - then you could use 3 GB a month indefinitely internationally. But after reading your post again, I realize that it may mean - that you must have some domestic use to compensate for the international use so you don't exceed the 50% of your total use.

I decided to call ATT for clarification as well as chat on line so I would have a transcript of what they said. The chat agent and the live agent both said the same thing - that I could use up to 50% of my plan limit, internationally, indefinitely, without any domestic use.

I tried to talk them out of this, and get them to claim the more restrictive interpretation, but they held firm. So I will plough ahead, but be ready to get "removed" in two months. Although the disclaimer "may be removed" is still a factor but since I have their assurances in writing - I suspect I may prevail.

Here is the chat transcript. Appreciate hearing from anyone else...

Aldin : I understand you have questions about the International Day pass

Pete : I will be on a 4 month cruise - all overseas - no USA use, so now I wonder whether the limit is 50% of the plan or my total use?

Aldin : Thank you for that information.

Aldin : As per checking on the specifics of the AT&T International Day Pass.

Aldin : If international voice, text, or data usage exceeds 50% of total voice, text, or data usage for two consecutive months it will be the only time the feature will be removed.

Aldin : That means the plan limit.

Pete : so if my plan is 16GB a month I can use 8 GB for 4 months

Aldin : Yes that is correct

Pete : thank you for clarifying

Aldin : No problem.

Pete : I was concerned that the 50% meant that I must use some domestic

Aldin : Oh alright.

Pete : But you cleared it up - I can use 100% international as long as I don't exceed my plan limit of 8 GB a month

Aldin : Yes that is right!

Pete : Thank you

I appreciate your comments on the phone. I also have ATT and Weber about this:

Cam I use my phone as a hot spot for my iPad?

It also seems that you can limit your shipboard Wi-Fi by having the ATT plan

You can use you phone as a hotspot for your IPad. If you have unlimited it may restrict this feature. But be aware that your IPAD is likely to use more data than your phone as it usually goes to full size websites rather than the mobile sites. I once tethered my laptop to my phone and blew thru 1 gb of data very quickly....play around with this feature and measure your data before you go so you understand the impact...

One thing to be careful of about using your phone on the ship near land.

If you are cruising off the coast of Australia - for example - you may pick up a shore side celluar tower while on the ship. I have done this and was happily using my international data plan without a problem from the ship.

I didn't notice that the service suddenly switched to "Celluar at sea" and now my data was costing my $8.19 a MB!!!!

I inadvertently used about 30 mb before I noticed - or $240!!!....I was able to call ATT in the next port and they retroactively gave me the cruise ship data plan which cost $120 a month for 100 MB - Still very expensive

Lesson learned - be very careful when using your cell phone data at sea....It can switch to "Celluar at sea" with little warning.

Also, if you do screw something up and get a big bill - call ATT and plead your case, they can usually back date some plan and reduce your bill. ATT will also automatically cut you off before your bill gets too big...another nice safety feature.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

At first I thought the 50% meant 50% of the plan limit - meaning if you had a 6 GB plan - then you could use 3 GB a month indefinitely internationally. But after reading your post again, I realize that it may mean - that you must have some domestic use to compensate for the international use so you don't exceed the 50% of your total use.

I decided to call ATT for clarification as well as chat on line so I would have a transcript of what they said. The chat agent and the live agent both said the same thing - that I could use up to 50% of my plan limit, internationally, indefinitely, without any domestic use.

I tried to talk them out of this, and get them to claim the more restrictive interpretation, but they held firm. So I will plough ahead, but be ready to get "removed" in two months. Although the disclaimer "may be removed" is still a factor but since I have their assurances in writing - I suspect I may prevail.

Here is the chat transcript. Appreciate hearing from anyone else...

Aldin : I understand you have questions about the International Day pass

Pete : I will be on a 4 month cruise - all overseas - no USA use, so now I wonder whether the limit is 50% of the plan or my total use?

Aldin : Thank you for that information.

Aldin : As per checking on the specifics of the AT&T International Day Pass.

Aldin : If international voice, text, or data usage exceeds 50% of total voice, text, or data usage for two consecutive months it will be the only time the feature will be removed.

Aldin : That means the plan limit.

Pete : so if my plan is 16GB a month I can use 8 GB for 4 months

Aldin : Yes that is correct

Pete : thank you for clarifying

Aldin : No problem.

Pete : I was concerned that the 50% meant that I must use some domestic

Aldin : Oh alright.

Pete : But you cleared it up - I can use 100% international as long as I don't exceed my plan limit of 8 GB a month

Aldin : Yes that is right!

Pete : Thank you

Thanks so much, Pete, for taking the time and making the effort to check on this for all of us AT&T users. It is very much appreciated!

Bob

Thanks so much, Pete, for taking the time and making the effort to check on this for all of us AT&T users. It is very much appreciated!

Bob

I was going to try again but there is no way to email att - so I decided to take yes for an answer and move on. I will be ready to switch to the monthly plan and more GlocalMe if necessary. I suspect that my long history with ATT may be helpful as opposed to someone who just signed up before the cruise. But as always. YMMV

http://www.theinsidecabin.com

You can use you phone as a hotspot for your IPad. If you have unlimited it may restrict this feature. But be aware that your IPAD is likely to use more data than your phone as it usually goes to full size websites rather than the mobile sites. I once tethered my laptop to my phone and blew thru 1 gb of data very quickly....play around with this feature and measure your data before you go so you understand the impact...

One thing to be careful of about using your phone on the ship near land.

If you are cruising off the coast of Australia - for example - you may pick up a shore side celluar tower while on the ship. I have done this and was happily using my international data plan without a problem from the ship.

I didn't notice that the service suddenly switched to "Celluar at sea" and now my data was costing my $8.19 a MB!!!!

I inadvertently used about 30 mb before I noticed - or $240!!!....I was able to call ATT in the next port and they retroactively gave me the cruise ship data plan which cost $120 a month for 100 MB - Still very expensive

Lesson learned - be very careful when using your cell phone data at sea....It can switch to "Celluar at sea" with little warning.

Also, if you do screw something up and get a big bill - call ATT and plead your case, they can usually back date some plan and reduce your bill. ATT will also automatically cut you off before your bill gets too big...another nice safety feature.

Funny you mention being close to shore and the Cellular at Sea picking up.

Last May I had just disembarked from Celebrity Solstice in Honolulu I was sitting, ashore, waiting for my rental car company to pick me up.. they were late so I called them from my cell phone not looking at the provider because I was on land.

When going over my bill the following month there was a large roaming charge,

Called ATT and they removed it.

It does pay to keep an eye out.

I'm happy for you that you have another opportunity to do a world cruise. And I am extra happy for me that you are doing a thread on CC about it! I thoroughly enjoyed riding along with you last time, and am sure I will again.

Have a grand time on the World Cruise.