Price shot up over night

bogofman

Come to book a cruise today after pricing up this week and found the prices for balcony have gone up £500 or nearly €700.

Checking available cabins the quantities seem to be the same so it cannot be demand driven.

Is it normal to have big price swings , at weekends maybe when more might book.

I won't be booking unless it swings back Down

We are looking at the hawaii cruise this september.

Celebrity have already priced us out of the European cruises. Which are currently upto £5000 for a basic balcony

Sure thing, it happens all across all transportation companies...

Just keep watch and see when it swings down and pounce.

This has happened to us as well on several cruises, fortunately we live in the US and have a few options than many others who book in different countries. If it is a sailing we want, we book and watch or have our agent watch for pricing to come down. Not always successful, but when it is, it is really really successful!

bon voyage

Come to book a cruise today after pricing up this week and found the prices for balcony have gone up £500 or nearly €700.

Checking available cabins the quantities seem to be the same so it cannot be demand driven.

Celebrity have already priced us out of the European cruises. Which are currently upto £5000 for a basic balcony

Many times they add "free perks" after these price increases

If you've got the flexibility, try waiting to book until after final payment. Just in the last few days...

A 15 night Panama Canal cruise on Infinity dropped to 749pp but that price lasted only one day and ...

...a 13 night T/A on Silhouette is now only $599pp (inside) and a balcony was only $739pp.

My best post-final-payment deals ever...

...a 15 night Reflection transatlantic for $449pp, and a 23 night Century transpacific for $799pp

Edited by teecee60

Not sure how valid this is, but I've heard the cruise lines won't show all the available cabins on their sites. They show 8 to 10 on each floor and after you select one, the next person sees one more that was hidden from the booking engine. The rationale I've heard is that only showing a few cabins on each deck leads you to believe cabins are scarce, and you will buy faster.

They may also have cabins promised in a block to large travel agencies. Sometimes you see cabins available on on-line sites that aren't shown on the line's own site.

Some sites even have variable pricing based on your browsing habits, as shown in

on YouTube. Three people visiting identical travel sites get three different search results, and within those results, three different prices. In one case, the frequent bargain hunter among them was shown a price significantly less for the same hotel or car rental. So the variable pricing does not always work against you.

I don't think the cruise lines have gotten that far yet, especially X, because they can't seem to build a website at all, much less one that employs variable pricing.

If you've got the flexibility, try waiting to book until after final payment. Just in the last few days...

A 15 night Panama Canal cruise on Infinity dropped to 749pp but that price lasted only one day and ...

...a 13 night T/A on Silhouette is now only $599pp (inside) and a balcony was only $739pp.

My best post-final-payment deals ever...

...a 15 night Reflection transatlantic for $449pp, and a 23 night Century transpacific for $799pp

Great concept, but have you been able to find reasonable airfare?

To the OP, I regularly see price fluctuation on the Celebrity web site. Sometimes only one category spikes up or down, while other times all cabins move up or down. I can tell you that a TA recently told me that January is one of their busiest months because so many people are booking annual holidays. That must surely drive up prices until the booking surge ends. Good luck:)

Great concept, but have you been able to find reasonable airfare?

International air travel booked through AIR2SEA/Choice Air can remain dirt cheap right up to sail away.

The $449pp Reflection T/A was booked only 10 days before departure with a one way flight (from middle-of-nowhere Fargo) to Rome for only $508... booked only 8 days before fly out.

For the Century transpac, my return flight from Sydney to LAX was only $609pp booked 6 weeks prior.

Recently flew from Tucson to Zurich, Switzerland for only $297.80 (through AIR2SEA) for a T/A on RCCL.

International air travel booked through AIR2SEA/Choice Air can remain dirt cheap right up to sail away.

The $449pp Reflection T/A was booked only 10 days before departure with a one way flight (from middle-of-nowhere Fargo) to Rome for only $508... booked only 8 days before fly out.

For the Century transpac, my return flight from Sydney to LAX was only $609pp booked 6 weeks prior.

Recently flew from Tucson to Zurich, Switzerland for only $297.80 (through AIR2SEA) for a T/A on RCCL.

Great. Thanks for the info! I’ve used Choice Air only once (for a TA that I booked 6 months out) so didn’t know how reasonable it could be for last minute bookings. I didn’t even know about AIR2SEA. I’ll check them out.

Not sure how valid this is, but I've heard the cruise lines won't show all the available cabins on their sites. They show 8 to 10 on each floor and after you select one, the next person sees one more that was hidden from the booking engine. The rationale I've heard is that only showing a few cabins on each deck leads you to believe cabins are scarce, and you will buy faster.

The Celebrity U.K. site details all available cabins I believe. Certainly on the November TA I can see 40 A2s and 29 A1s. Lots of availability throughout each category.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are looking at doing a 1 way hawaii cruise be aware that they do not follow normal pricing theories. These itineraries are only done twice a year and are highly in demand so waiting to book late isn’t necessarily a viable option. We are taking the April hawaii cruise this year. But originally planned to book the 2017 trip but found that it was too booked up to get anything other than a guarantee so we waited till the next year for the trip.

Our pricing sweet spot was in 11/16, just FYI.

But yes, shortly after we got a price adjustment in 11/16 the price shot up $1,700 pp and it took over a year before the prices came back down at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To the OP, I regularly see price fluctuation on the Celebrity web site. Sometimes only one category spikes up or down, while other times all cabins move up or down. I can tell you that a TA recently told me that January is one of their busiest months because so many people are booking annual holidays. That must surely drive up prices until the booking surge ends. Good luck:)

Except that sale prices bring greater sales and certainly in UK this period is well known to discount. That might mean that for a time prices have been put up in order to bring them down.

But who tries to fathom the mind of cruise companies will surely go insane very quickly.

Except that sale prices bring greater sales and certainly in UK this period is well known to discount. That might mean that for a time prices have been put up in order to bring them down.

But who tries to fathom the mind of cruise companies will surely go insane very quickly.

We had decided to book and accepted price, looked up flights to vancouver and then back from honolulu to london with BA,

We waited until Saturday to book and found the price went up £500

I cannit bring myself to pay this. It's the principle, not the money

What is strange . The european cruuses seem to be dropping by £500, now we have decided we want to go on the hawaii one way with extended days in vancouver and honolulu.

Ah well we wait and see if they come down gain, if not maybe 2019 instead.

I wish the lines would not keep playing these games, there are probably no two canons sold at tge same price, similar to airline or train tickets. You could ve sitting next to someone who has payed 1/2 or twice as much.

I wish the lines would not keep playing these games, there are probably no two canons sold at tge same price, similar to airline or train tickets. You could ve sitting next to someone who has payed 1/2 or twice as much.

And booked within hours of each other. I really am getting to the end with cruise lines, I have three booked and I think they will be the last. Price hikes, norro virus, Bay of Biscay syndrome.......

I watch Celebrity Cruise prices on a nearly daily basis. Out next cruise jumped 120% over night the day AFTER I booked. If a deal appears, pounce on it!!

Also, if the prices drops by chance after I book, I contact Celebrity and get the new lower price easily through the Celebrity agents.

I watch Celebrity Cruise prices on a nearly daily basis. Out next cruise jumped 120% over night the day AFTER I booked. If a deal appears, pounce on it!!

I really do not want to spend my time trying to get a deal. Just give up and let them have another empty cabin to sell off cheaply after full payment. Their loss, I know of lots of other holidays I want to go on and they are not as stressful as trying to pounce on a deal.

Can UK cruisers put a hold on a reservation rather than booking immediately? Might be an option in the future, if it's available. If it's a price you're willing to pay, you have to act while the price is available.