Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I have traveled in Europe before and know pretty much what to wear I just can't figure out how to mix and match clothes for hot weather and cool weather. I know layering is the answer but packing for 27 days is a big problem for me. Can't take an outfit for each day and Celebrity doesn't have self-service laundry facilities. What's a Fashionista to do?

Thanks for the security tip. My husband and I ware assaulted and mugged in Madrid a few years ago and are very aware of the precautions to take. It was very scary!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sorry to hear about what happen to you in Madrid. That is very, very scary.

This is something that I do, if I don't want to pack too much. Have you ever seen the blouses that stretch? They look like a shirt for a baby, they are that small. Up here, (Rochester NY) you can get them at a drug store. Most times they are two for ten dollars. They are light and rinse out quick. I roll it in a towel to dry for a few minutes, then lay it flat on the desk top, (while on board ship). By the AM it is dried. These top could be used in the warmer weather and used under a sweater in cooler weather. The other was to cut down on packing is to use the ships laundry. I do that a lot, this way I come home with clean clothes

Sorry to hear about what happen to you in Madrid. That is very, very scary.

This is something that I do, if I don't want to pack too much. Have you ever seen the blouses that stretch? They look like a shirt for a baby, they are that small. Up here, (Rochester NY) you can get them at a drug store. Most times they are two for ten dollars. They are light and rinse out quick. I roll it in a towel to dry for a few minutes, then lay it flat on the desk top, (while on board ship). By the AM it is dried. These top could be used in the warmer weather and used under a sweater in cooler weather. The other was to cut down on packing is to use the ships laundry. I do that a lot, this way I come home with clean clothes

Thanks Geo. I'm not familiar with those blouses. Sounds like great idea. Do they have a name that I can ask for when I look? I wear a lot of tees but think they will not dry very quickly. At least I have found that to be the case in the Caribbean. Of coarse the humidity is very high down there. I don't really mind using the ships laundry but being limited in my choices by the number of things that I can take for 27 days really cuts into my fashionista tendencies?;-) We used to live in FL and it was great just to be able to drive and take anything I wanted!

jenny105: Another WELCOME! It's always nice to see regular posters here, and really nice to see first-timers:). You have time to plan all the outfits and shop for needed items.

sea cruiser52: I've been to the beallsflorida website and like what's there. My question is: do the sizes run small, large or true to size? Sometimes petite sizes are big and other times the Petite Small would fit my slender 9-year old granddaughter!

I would love to order from bealls. The clothes are so-o-o Cruise Appropriate.

BTW - This is an example of how CCFs share info and suggestions - I would not order from an unfamiliar site; but if it's recommended, I'll give it a try:).

Indiana,I am not petite sized but the women's sizes are true to size. I would give them a try. Also Beall's Florida is not like regular Beall's stores. The Florida stores and their online store have different offerings than the regular stores.

Have fun on your cruise and I can't wait for the photos. THanks to your hubby!

I lived in FL for many years until moving to St Louis 2 years qago to be near our grandkids. Bealls was my favorite clothes shopping venue, especially for cruises. I too am a petite and I found that things were true to size. And don't forget to look at their shoes and other accessories. Bealls is the best!

I have traveled in Europe before and know pretty much what to wear I just can't figure out how to mix and match clothes for hot weather and cool weather. I know layering is the answer but packing for 27 days is a big problem for me. Can't take an outfit for each day and Celebrity doesn't have self-service laundry facilities. What's a Fashionista to do?

Thanks for the security tip. My husband and I ware assaulted and mugged in Madrid a few years ago and are very aware of the precautions to take. It was very scary!

Wow' date=' assaulted and mugged? Would you mind telling the tale of what happened to you? (unless you would rather never think about it again...) Where (specifically) you were, what you were doing, how the criminals did what they did? Hopefully this will be a cautionary tale for all of us. Other than carrying my stuff around in a grocery bag instead of a purse, I do not have a clue as to how to avoid becoming a victim myself...[/color']

Wow, assaulted and mugged? Would you mind telling the tale of what happened to you? (unless you would rather never think about it again...) Where (specifically) you were, what you were doing, how the criminals did what they did? Hopefully this will be a cautionary tale for all of us. Other than carrying my stuff around in a grocery bag instead of a purse, I do not have a clue as to how to avoid becoming a victim myself...

This a little off topic but I will tell you what happened. Christmas Eve, were going to dinner at Casa Botin but had lost our way. I guess the guys (2) noticed that and we became a target. One guy came up behind my husband and pulled him backward by slipping a leather strap around his throat and pulling him over the hood of a parked car. The 2nd guy came after my beautiful, small Gucci bag that I was carrying cross-body. I struggled with him for a bit and then realized that what was in my purse was not worth getting hurt for. I released my grip a bit and the next thing I knew I had only a strap left. Lost my passport, money, house keys, prescription glasses and more. It may sound stupid to have been carrying those things but we were airline crew members and were only there for the night. My DH will not go with me anywhere now if I'm carrying a designer bag. Expensive lesson although our homeowner's policy covered our loses. There is a lot more to the story but too long to post here. Unfortunately, I still love designer bags. The lesson is don't get lost and don't carry designer bags!:-(

This a little off topic but I will tell you what happened. Christmas Eve' date=' were going to dinner at Casa Botin but had lost our way. I guess the guys (2) noticed that and we became a target. One guy came up behind my husband and pulled him backward by slipping a leather strap around his throat and pulling him over the hood of a parked car. The 2nd guy came after my beautiful, small Gucci bag that I was carrying cross-body. I struggled with him for a bit and then realized that what was in my purse was not worth getting hurt for. I released my grip a bit and the next thing I knew I had only a strap left. Lost my passport, money, house keys, prescription glasses and more. It may sound stupid to have been carrying those things but we were airline crew members and were only there for the night. My DH will not go with me anywhere now if I'm carrying a designer bag. Expensive lesson although our homeowner's policy covered our loses. There is a lot more to the story but too long to post here. Unfortunately, I still love designer bags. The lesson is don't get lost and don't carry designer bags!:-(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote']

Thank you for your story -- which I consider to be anything but "off topic, " as you yourself state that your designer bag may have had something to do with your being a target, and getting lost (certainly a travel-related topic!) didn't help.

Of course, I hate that this happened to you, and I am so glad you and your husband came out of it safely, but I think all of us on these boards will benefit from reading what you posted.

May all your future travels be fright-free!

Thank you for your story -- which I consider to be anything but "off topic, " as you yourself state that your designer bag may have had something to do with your being a target, and getting lost (certainly a travel-related topic!) didn't help.

Of course, I hate that this happened to you, and I am so glad you and your husband came out of it safely, but I think all of us on these boards will benefit from reading what you posted.

May all your future travels be fright-free!

Thanks for your good wishes.That incident was years ago and thankfully nothing like that has ever happened again (knock on wood).

We leave the middle of Oct and return the middle of November. Have checked the weather sites and I know pretty much what to expect. I just need to know how to mix and match it all. And of course we have the weight restrictions. All our other cruises have not given me this much trouble. I love great clothes and want to look my best but don't rally know how to do it on this trip.

Here are some ideas:

(1) dark wash jeans - you will get multiple wears out of these before you have to wash them

(2) Cardis/wraps- Cardis and wraps can be layered over your warm weather tops when you're in colder climates

(3) Little black dress- this can be worn multiple times. Just change up the jewelry/accessories

(4) little white dress- same as above

(5) jewelry/accessories- something as simple as a bright colored necklace or belt can make an outfit brand new. No need to spend tons of money. Ny &co has great pieces and usually on sale. You can also try jr stores like forever 21 for affordable accessories

Ill let you know if I can think of anything else but hopefully that is a start.

Here are some ideas:

(1) dark wash jeans - you will get multiple wears out of these before you have to wash them

(2) Cardis/wraps- Cardis and wraps can be layered over your warm weather tops when you're in colder climates

(3) Little black dress- this can be worn multiple times. Just change up the jewelry/accessories

(4) little white dress- same as above

(5) jewelry/accessories- something as simple as a bright colored necklace or belt can make an outfit brand new. No need to spend tons of money. Ny &co has great pieces and usually on sale. You can also try jr stores like forever 21 for affordable accessories

Ill let you know if I can think of anything else but hopefully that is a start.

Thanks Taimata... Your ideas are pretty much what I have been thinking but it's always good to get other opinions. I wasn't planning on jeans because of the weight but you're right that they can be worn many times before washing. They will definitely go on my packing list (spreadsheet is probably not for me!) Ny & Co is new to me and I'll check them out. Thanks again for the good advice.

This a little off topic but I will tell you what happened. Christmas Eve' date=' were going to dinner at Casa Botin but had lost our way. I guess the guys (2) noticed that and we became a target. One guy came up behind my husband and pulled him backward by slipping a leather strap around his throat and pulling him over the hood of a parked car. The 2nd guy came after my beautiful, small Gucci bag that I was carrying cross-body. I struggled with him for a bit and then realized that what was in my purse was not worth getting hurt for. I released my grip a bit and the next thing I knew I had only a strap left. Lost my passport, money, house keys, prescription glasses and more. It may sound stupid to have been carrying those things but we were airline crew members and were only there for the night. My DH will not go with me anywhere now if I'm carrying a designer bag. Expensive lesson although our homeowner's policy covered our loses. There is a lot more to the story but too long to post here. Unfortunately, I still love designer bags. The lesson is don't get lost and don't carry designer bags!:-(

OMG! That's so scary! It's terrible that happened to you but at least you and DH came out of it un-harmed.

On this next cruise in the eastern Med no designer bags for me. Got a PacSafe bag that can't be slashed, has lots of pockets for organizing and can even be attached to a table or chair while eating. And it's not bad looking either, especially if I tie a scarf around the strap. I think I will still be able to live up to my fashionista standards!

On this next cruise in the eastern Med no designer bags for me. Got a PacSafe bag that can't be slashed' date=' has lots of pockets for organizing and can even be attached to a table or chair while eating. And it's not bad looking either, especially if I tie a scarf around the strap. I think I will still be able to live up to my fashionista standards!

Of course that's for port time. Otherwise I will be using wristlets and evening bags on board.

Thanks Geo. I'm not familiar with those blouses. Sounds like great idea. Do they have a name that I can ask for when I look? I wear a lot of tees but think they will not dry very quickly. At least I have found that to be the case in the Caribbean. Of coarse the humidity is very high down there. I don't really mind using the ships laundry but being limited in my choices by the number of things that I can take for 27 days really cuts into my fashionista tendencies?;-) We used to live in FL and it was great just to be able to drive and take anything I wanted!

I am sorry for not geting back to you. I am having computer trouble.

What happened to you in Spain was awful.

The name of the tops, I don't know. They are in my Fl home and I am in NY now. But I found them in the chain drug stores and flea markets. They are real small. I hope that you can find them to look at.

I am sorry for not geting back to you. I am having computer trouble.

What happened to you in Spain was awful.

The name of the tops, I don't know. They are in my Fl home and I am in NY now. But I found them in the chain drug stores and flea markets. They are real small. I hope that you can find them to look at.

I'll let you know if I find them. Haven't looked yet.

Just off Carnival Freedom and my hanging shelves worked perfect! I'm so happy I tried it. Think my friends will all try next time. Didn't have phone service in my room so could load a picture here. But I will take one as still not home for 2 weeks.

I'll let you know if I find them. Haven't looked yet.

I found them. They are called POP Corn blouses.

http://www.magicscarf.com/stores/magicscarf/category.php?category_id=3

This web site shows you what they look like.

On E-bay too

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/popcorn-shirt

http://www.magicscarf.com/stores/magicscarf/category_multi.php?category_id=115

The next site shows you how small they are befor you put them on.

http://www.popcornshirt.com/

Edited by geocruiser

I found them. They are called POP Corn blouses.

http://www.magicscarf.com/stores/magicscarf/category.php?category_id=3

This web site shows you what they look like.

On E-bay too

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/popcorn-shirt

http://www.magicscarf.com/stores/magicscarf/category_multi.php?category_id=115

The next site shows you how small they are befor you put them on.

http://www.popcornshirt.com/

I've never seen these before and they seem like a good idea. But I am worried that they might make me look heavy, which I'm not. Anyway, I found them on Amazon so I think I'll give them a try. Nothing to lose! Thanks so much for the link.

I've never seen these before and they seem like a good idea. But I am worried that they might make me look heavy' date=' which I'm not. Anyway, I found them on Amazon so I think I'll give them a try. Nothing to lose! Thanks so much for the link.

I hope that you like them.

[ATTACH]276546[/ATTACH]

This is my angling shelf. It also has a small rod to attach at bottom. It was fuller at the beginning of week. It worked great!!

Lol, should read "hanging" shelf.

The Family Cruise is over...and I'm having Cruising Withdrawal:eek:. Everyone had a wonderful time. Grandsons loved the pool, granddaughters said their favorite activity was in Adventure Ocean when they learned dances from Hairspray and met and talked to "Tracy" (lead actress in Hairspray).

Our days were so full of happy memories: ordering the Drink of the Day on Rising Tide Bar, dinner at Giovanni's Table.

We had the divider between the 3 balconies removed and sat out there at night watching people on the Boardwalk and/or the show at the Aqua Theater.

Need I say this was The Week We Will Always Remember:cool::)!

I'm not sure how many outfits were photographed. In the next couple days I'll upload pix and post. Today is a Lazy Day - catching up on email, etc; going through mail. Laundry and dry cleaning hasn't been started yet...ahhh, the aftermath of Cruising...

Taimata: There are days when 3 outfits are needed: 1 for the casual daytime activities, another for dinner; and if it's cool in the evening, I have pants and a light sweater - or at the least, a cover-up for my dinner outfit.

Many CCFs mix and match pieces so that no one would ever realize they are rewearing basics. A good idea when luggage weight is an issue.

BTW: WELCOME! Looking forward to hearing about your Packing Process:).

plank: So sorry to hear you were on Grandeur when the fire broke out, but relieved that RCI handled the situation and you can wear your fun outfits in a couple months.

Eddie's girl: WELCOME to you! I'm anxious to see how others solve the issue of warm AND cool weather.

If I think it might get chilly, a couple pants and long sleeve tops make the Outfits spreadsheet...sometimes they get worn, sometimes not.

Sunnydaygirl: Thanks for posting the photo of your hanging shelf. Great idea!