msc cruiseline any info opinions

nbevins

Announcements are in 5 languages, but they are kept to a minimum. US$ is the currency aboard on ex US sailings. [As an aside you would have to check with your own credit card for their T&Cs re any foreign currency transactions, companies differ].

I had a extremely enjoyable cruise with MSC in the Med in May 2005, on MSC Sinfonia. Here's my review:-

http://www.cruisereviews.com/MediterraneanShippingCruises/Sinfonia1.htm

That said, it was my first cruise so it's possible that the wow! factor was in play. Sinfonia was just out of a refurbishment at that time (and was only about 3 years old anyway) so it all looked new & gleaming, and very impressive to a first-timer. But even allowing for that we had a really good time.

Be aware also that (going by the reviews) MSC seems to have had some problems adjusting their product to the american market with regard to their winter sailings in the caribbean. At first they kept things very much as they were in Europe, and this did not seem to go down well with american pasengers - I'm thinking about things such as the food & menus, which were (I gather) very european. Over last winter they revamped the US operation, and (agan, going by the reviews & comments) there seem to have been some teething troubles. Reviews are very mixed.

My take on MSC is that if the itinerary & price were right, I'd cruise with them in europe again without hesitation. I don't know that I'd choose them for a Caribbean cruise, however - I might either go for an all-american experience (Carnival? Princess? Disney?!?), or for a UK-based ship, eg P&O or Fred Olsen. But that's because I'm from the UK, and for me, if I was cruising in an amercian playground the sensible choices would seem to be either american or british!

Finally, the ships. Their last generation of ships (the Opera, Lirica, Armonia & Sinfonia quartet), although pretty new (all post 2000 I believe), are smaller than average these days, and don't jave the range of facilties that the newer behemoths have. (But Lirica especially has gained a lot of praise in europe as being good.) However their latest ship, Musica, is altogether different - a lot bigger and busier, and a plethora of activities. There's a sister ship to Musica coming next year.

Archived