PV-Snorkel at Marietas Islands?

jsiegel

Has anyone done the Snorkel at Marietas Islands tour offered by the cruise lines (Princess specifically?) I'm interested in knowing if there is really snorkeling time, and general impressions of this tour.

Thanks, Jackie

I havenot snorkeled at the Marietas, but sailed along there.

It is one of the better places to snorkel arond Puerto Vallarta, but still not as good as in the caribean.

It will take about 1 hour to get there (and again the same time back) since those islands are in the pacific and the mouth of the Bay of Banderas.

In case you sail there between December and end of March you might be lucky and spot some humpbackwhales in the bay.

Has anyone done the Snorkel at Marietas Islands tour offered by the cruise lines (Princess specifically?) I'm interested in knowing if there is really snorkeling time, and general impressions of this tour.

Thanks, Jackie

Yes, we did this tour through Princess last year, and it was lots of fun, with a good amount of time in the water.

You have a couple of snorkel stops...one is through a cavern to a beautiful small beach in the centre of one of the islands.

You should be fairly comfortable in deep, sometimes choppy and cool open water, and you do have to wear a life jacket. Not great visibility until you get close to the rocks.

The snacks and drinks onboard were excellent. The trip out was longer than I expected, but very enjoyable -- the captain slowed the boat when an enormous manta surfaced next to us. The guys on the boat provided the entertainment (try to get "Sexy Alan", if he's still there.)

All in all, I would do it again in a heartbeat. A ton of fun.

LidoLIz