Taxi at the Dock?

RMH

I have read several posts that there are plenty of taxis at the San Juan dock after you disembark. However, I am still a bit confused as to how you get one. We will be making a port of call stop on Dec 24 on Independence of the Seas on Dock 3(?).

Would we just go to the end of the pier to catch a cab? Is there a dispatch station we should look for or will they all be lined up in a certain area? Also, there are six of us, will that be an issue to get in the same cab or will we have to split up? We just need to go from the ship to Condado. Thanks for your help.

I have read several posts that there are plenty of taxis at the San Juan dock after you disembark. However, I am still a bit confused as to how you get one. We will be making a port of call stop on Dec 24 on Independence of the Seas on Dock 3(?).

Would we just go to the end of the pier to catch a cab? Is there a dispatch station we should look for or will they all be lined up in a certain area? Also, there are six of us, will that be an issue to get in the same cab or will we have to split up? We just need to go from the ship to Condado. Thanks for your help.

TIP: Get a porter, they have a separate line to customs for porters, you bypass hundreds of people and are out in no time at all without struggling with your bags. Then enlist porter's help, he will get you a taxi in no time, avoids all the confusion and commotion. VERY well worth the $5.00/bag or so tip! We were on Celebrity which offers free shuttle to airport, worked great. See if your line offers anything similar, if they do, porter will know all about it.

TIP: Get a porter, they have a separate line to customs for porters, you bypass hundreds of people and are out in no time at all without struggling with your bags. Then enlist porter's help, he will get you a taxi in no time, avoids all the confusion and commotion. VERY well worth the $5.00/bag or so tip! We were on Celebrity which offers free shuttle to airport, worked great. See if your line offers anything similar, if they do, porter will know all about it.

Thanks, but we are not disembarking, just a stop for the day at the Old San Juan pier, so no luggage. I am just trying to get the group to Condado and back.

Walk down the pier and to the left and you can ask anyone there about the taxis and they'll put you in one.

Here, I am standing at the taxi area looking back at the ship.

P3290397%20copy-M.jpg

Turn around....here is the taxi line

P3290396%20copy-M.jpg

Although it's not a taxi "stand" or parking lot, there is an area for them to pull up (line up) and put passengers in. I hope that helps.

Walk down the pier and to the left and you can ask anyone there about the taxis and they'll put you in one.

Here, I am standing at the taxi area looking back at the ship.

P3290397%20copy-M.jpg

Turn around....here is the taxi line

P3290396%20copy-M.jpg

Although it's not a taxi "stand" or parking lot, there is an area for them to pull up (line up) and put passengers in. I hope that helps.

If your ship STOPS in San Juan, there will be taxis galore in this area. If your ship DEPARTS from San Juan, they use a different port, and if their are no ships scheduled to stop there will be NO TAXIS! Why would there be? That was my experience on Dec 2, and it was quite stressfull, trying to figure out how to get back to the hotel. If you wander down to Old San Juan pre-cruise, check to see if any stopovers are scheduled, if none you better have a "get back" plan in place!

If your ship STOPS in San Juan, there will be taxis galore in this area. If your ship DEPARTS from San Juan, they use a different port, and if their are no ships scheduled to stop there will be NO TAXIS! Why would there be? That was my experience on Dec 2, and it was quite stressfull, trying to figure out how to get back to the hotel. If you wander down to Old San Juan pre-cruise, check to see if any stopovers are scheduled, if none you better have a "get back" plan in place!

Did you read the OP's question? Both post by OP states that they are STOPPING in SJ. So yes, my post is valid and there will be taxi's there. I'm confused at your post. They are not departing from SJ or debarking there.

Although....I have been there by cruise ship for a day stop and this is where we docked. I have also flown to PR and stayed days ahead of time and days after and this is also where we got on and off. Not sure about your experience, but it's been the same location for us every time. Maybe it depends on the cruise ship? Either way, our experience has been there are taxi's there coming and going for all. They know when the cruise ships are going to be there and that's when they are going to make their money. Of course there wouldn't be any there if there's no cruise ship. Like you said, why would there be? But that has nothing to do with the OP's questions because they are not asking about getting a taxi on a day they aren't coming or going from a cruise ship. ;)

In addition to Mitsugirly's response to your post, I'd like to add that what I've highlighted in red isn't always true either. While many departures are from Pan American Pier, not Old San Juan, Carnival's departures are normally from Old San Juan.

Oh, this just came to mind. I cruised out of San Juan last January on the RCL Jewel of the Sea, Must have been the "Pan American Pier" and I remember seeing a cruise ship docked in town when we toured around earlier that morning, and tour bus driver mentioned the two different piers. So if I am 'stopping' in San Juan next month on the Oasis - will that be the pier right in town or the out of town one- does anyone know by chance?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Oh, this just came to mind. I cruised out of San Juan last January on the RCL Jewel of the Sea, Must have been the "Pan American Pier" and I remember seeing a cruise ship docked in town when we toured around earlier that morning, and tour bus driver mentioned the two different piers. So if I am 'stopping' in San Juan next month on the Oasis - will that be the pier right in town or the out of town one- does anyone know by chance?

A port stop will almost certainly be the one right in town. Not pananamerican.

So how did you get back?

I would have pulled out my phone, googled “old San Juan taxi” and called one of the places that comes up with the search. But maybe you’re not from the US and therefore your cell service doesn’t work in PR.

I also might have just walked back up into OSJ a few blocks from the in-town pier, to get myself to a more touristy area.

Or I would have used the Uber app to get one of those drivers (though that means I would have been walking a bit more to where the driver felt comfy picking up).

For port calls ships normally dock in Old San Juan. I don't want to say that a ship has never used Pan American on a port call, but that would be exceptionally rare.

Royal Caribbean ships that homeport out of San Juan like Jewel of the Seas use the Pan American Pier. Like we did last week on Jewel. Royal ships on a port call usually dock at the Old San Juan pier. That is where we docked when I cruised Oasis of the Seas eastern Caribbean itinerary out of Florida.

Thanks Mitsugirly, that is a big help - especially the photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a good private tour group or private driver with minivan or van they have used to pre-book a tour?

Normally I just grab a taxi and go to a beach and easy to find a taxi or have driver come back at a set time. This upcoming trip we have 6people going out to Carabali Rainforest ATV ride (40 mins) away by Yunque Rainforest so getting a driver there from port will be easy but probably hard to find a ride back from out that far unless we book a driver to take us and wait the two hours while we ride the ATVs that might be worth it. Any recommendations for anyone who has used a driver and has their number or contact information is appreciated.