Little Tobago Island with Newton George

lovetocruise99

• 1 month later...

We toured with Newton George in Tobago last week. I booked a birding tour with him a couple of weeks before our cruise. We did not go over to Little Tobago island - we went to the rain forest, hummingbird farm, and another area by some Marriot vacation homes where he knew to find birds. We did see a lot.

Having said all that however, I was not happy with the tour. We showed up early at 8:15 like he asked us to, 3 other couples were there, and he said we were waiting for one other couple to show up. There were supposed to be a total of 10 people on the tour. We waited and waited, and finally he said we can't wait any longer, so we walked up the road to his waiting van. While we all got settled into the van, he went back to the port to check if the other couple showed up. Then he comes back with not 2 people (as he planned for), but 4 people (who apparantly knew each other and want to stay together), says to us that these 4 people really want to tour with him, so he proceeds to ask my husband and myself, and one other couple to get out of the van. The van only has enough room for 10 people, not 12. I ask him, are we going to still tour with you, Newton George, he assures me that yes. Then another guy shows up, and says he's going to be our tour guide. I don't really like being kicked out of the van for people who come late and show up with 2 other people who have no reservations, but Newton George assures us that we will be driving as a group, just going in 2 vehicles. OK, so the 4 of us walk down the road around the corner to our new vehicle, which, surprise, is just a car. Now 3 of us have to cram into the back seat of the car, which is not a big car, and it's too late to turn back because Newton George and his van are already gone. Our tour guide asks us if we're comfortable, I tell him no, I'm not, but he does nothing about it. So we proceed to drive around Tobago crammed into the back seat of the car with no A/C, backs hurting, and getting carsick because we can't see anything.

I was unhappy that Newton George did not accomodate his existing customers who made reservations with him well in advance and showed up on time, for a group of 4 who only had reservations for 2 of them and showed up late. Apparantly they told him that they would not go on the tour at all unless they were in the van with him.

• 5 years later...

We had a wonderful tour with Newton! We did not go to the island but toured the rainforest and then down the coast. it was amazing! he is really a professional and was able to show us sooo many birds it was unbelievable. I would encourage anyone to book with Newton if you can. He is a wealth of information on birds, Tobago, botany and many other interesting subjects. Our tour was Feb of 2016