Left Luggage in Manhattan - for one day

bluesea777

We are in transiting in NYC for one day next April 2018 (Tues 10th). Our flight from Bermuda gets into JFK before 10 a.m. and our next flight to Rome (for a cruise) leaves from EWR at 11pm. Yeppers, 13 hours layover, and 2 different airports.

I googled for left luggage places in the west side of Manhattan (so we can catch cab from JFK and go as far as the west side on fixed cab rate, and then catch a shorter cab ride to EWR in the evening), and came up with Schwartz Luggage Storage on W 37th St at 9th Ave. It is in an ideal location, but I would like to hear of anyone's experience using this place.

Or, if you can recommend another place please let me know.

THANKS!

Edited by bluesea777

No personal experience, but they're constantly recommended on the board, and I've never heard of a problem. Someone with first hand experience will hopefully come online with more information.

I would caution against a cab from Manhattan to EWR; you're crossing jurisdictions and this can get VERY expensive. A car service, or even one of the Jersey Transit lines (or even Amtrak for that matter) may be a much more reasonable means of getting to Newark. I know that wasn't your question, but it comes up here often.

No personal experience, but they're constantly recommended on the board, and I've never heard of a problem. Someone with first hand experience will hopefully come online with more information.

I would caution against a cab from Manhattan to EWR; you're crossing jurisdictions and this can get VERY expensive. A car service, or even one of the Jersey Transit lines (or even Amtrak for that matter) may be a much more reasonable means of getting to Newark. I know that wasn't your question, but it comes up here often.

Schwartz Travel on W. 37th St is well positioned between the Port Authority Bus Terminal and New York Penn Station. Bus is $18/pp and train is $13/pp.

https://www.newarkairportexpress.com/shuttle-stop-information

New York Penn Station to Newark Airport Station - http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Car Service could run you $100+ when you calculate the base rate plus about $20 in tolls and an expected 18-20% tip on the base rate.

Yellow cab is about $82 could be over $100 with traffic and that is without round trip tolls or tip.

One way trip is about 17 miles.

NYC Yellow cab cab fare to Newark Airport:

To Newark Airport:

• Onscreen rate is ‘Rate #03 – Newark Airport.’
  • This is a metered fare. See Metered Fare information below.
  • There is a $17.50 Newark Surcharge.
  • Passenger is responsible for paying all roundtrip tolls.
  • There is a 30-cent Improvement Surcharge.
  • Please tip your driver for safety and good service.

Meter Rules

• The initial charge is $2.50.
  • Plus 50 cents per 1/5 mile or 50 cents per 60 seconds in slow traffic or when the vehicle is stopped.
  • In moving traffic on Manhattan streets, the meter should “click” approximately every four downtown blocks, or one block going cross-town (East-West).
  • There is a 50-cent MTA State Surcharge for all trips that end in New York City or Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess, Orange or Putnam Counties.
  • There is a 30-cent Improvement Surcharge.
  • There is a daily 50-cent surcharge from 8pm to 6am.
  • There is a $1 surcharge from 4pm to 8pm on weekdays, excluding holidays.
  • Passengers must pay all bridge and tunnel tolls.
  • Your receipt will show your total fare including tolls. Please take your receipt.
  • The driver is not required to accept bills over $20.

THANK YOU all for your answers and advice - very helpful!

We will cab to Schwartz from JFK, and will order a superShuttle to take us from Schwartz to EWR.

The advice against taking cab to EWR brought back memory when we disembarked the Gem and walked across the avenue to the yellow cab rank and caught one. When we told the driver Newark, he said he wasn't supposed to take us there.

We have been to JFK and NYC Manhattan multiple times before, and wanted advice on the Schwartz, so thanks all for the answers and advice.

Cheers!

THANK YOU all for your answers and advice - very helpful!

We will cab to Schwartz from JFK, and will order a superShuttle to take us from Schwartz to EWR.

The advice against taking cab to EWR brought back memory when we disembarked the Gem and walked across the avenue to the yellow cab rank and caught one. When we told the driver Newark, he said he wasn't supposed to take us there.

We have been to JFK and NYC Manhattan multiple times before, and wanted advice on the Schwartz, so thanks all for the answers and advice.

Cheers!

Uber could also be an option from NYC to Newark Airport.