Making the most of Polynesia

caneable

I know a lot of people frown on the "what is there to do?" approach as there are many threads dealing with this kind of response, but I really would appreciate your help. Our trip to Polynesia will be a one off. we don't anticipate doing another half way round the world trip to somewhere we've already experienced. So we're trying to make sense of the essence of French Polynesia.

It seems to us that just about everywhere other than Tahiti is a snorkelling heaven, and that lagoon cruises are the thing on most islands. There are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the archaeology and culture of the islands, and the beaches sound to good to miss. So how to get the best experience?

Bear in mind that neither of us are strong, experienced snorkellers and, although I'd like to get up to the higher parts of some islands, DW is definitely not into that. We both enjoy photography and I like to have a sketch book at hand wherever I go. Local markets and transport are a big favourite and we get a lot of fun just wandering around the local port of call. We're on a Princess cruise calling at Papeete, Moorea, Huahine, Raiatea, Bora Bora and Rangiroa (though not in that order!).

So knowing what you know from previous experience, where would you send us French Polynesia visitors to get the "Best of"

While in Bora Bora, you should book an excursion with Patrick. Here is his website:

http://www.maohinui.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31

We did the 3/4 day lagoon excursion & polynesian lunch. On day 2, we did the 4X4 1/2 day excursion. Patrick grew up on Bora Bora and is a great tour guide. His luncheon is fantastic. I would say Patrick is one of the French Polynesian Islands not to be missed!

In Moorea, we rented a car for the day, and just drove around the island. Lots of see and you can go at your own pace.

The French Polynesian Islands are a beautiful place to visit.

Depending on the timing of your cruise, the Papeete market should be really fun for you--you can easily spend a whole morning there.

There's a little market at the dock in BB as well, plus a line of stores near the port--I found it interesting browsing the little grocery store to see what unusual things they sold.

I have only done Paul Gauguin excursions, so I can't comment on specifics, but you should try to get into the water once or twice. Try something like the stingray ballet on Bora Bora, which is mostly in chest-high water, so it's very easy snorkelling.

There are great 4x4 trips of BB and Moorea, and they do not involve actual climbing, nor great scary heights, although they are bumpy so if you have a bad back they are not recommended.

Raiatea is archaeologically significant, so if you can get a tour that includes Taputapuatea, you should do that. It's a very pretty island.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for--the local transportation is called "Le Truck" and are generally open-air buses. But they are a bit unreliable to get around in, if you have to be back at the ship in a timely fashion. You can rent various fun vehicles on BB, and it's not a long way around. You can also rent a car on Moorea and circumnavigate it. Don't miss Le Belvedere on Moorea, quite a view.

Yes it's on Moorea, and no, it is not a restaurant. The word means "scenic lookout" or some such. It's a view point. High up, between the two big bays with a wonderful panorama.

A few years ago when in Papette I heard a lot about the Le Belvedere Restaurant in the hills somewhere on Tahiti--read good things about it on CC--well--we went to the 2nd seating--the sunset had already happened--the restaurant was terrible--couldn't understand what could people like about this place--Well--it seems that those in the know go in the late afternoon and see the beautiful sunset and have dinner--maybe the sunset makes the food better--the location was good overlooking water high on a hill--I would advise a Bonine before this ride-- just a lot of winding road--sooooo--I guess there is not another restaurant with the same name--and THANKS for giving me the translation !!!

Nancy:D

Caneable - I've done several trips from the UK to the South Pacific, the last in September 2009 and the next in November 2010, both on small expedition cruise ships with about 100 passengers and zodiac landing craft so you don't have to dock to allow your 700-1000 fellow passengers ashore.

French Polynesia has incredible scenic beauty - the jagged volcanoes and multi-coloured lagoons are well worth the effort of getting there. And there is history, too, in the associations with Cook, the Bounty, Gauguin etc etc.

But there are drawbacks - mass tourism has polluted the lagoons and killed a lot of coral and fish. While this isn't the high-rise tourism that blights much of Hawaii, those overwater bungalows of Bora Bora and Moorea have had a serious environmental impact. As a result, snorkelling is often a disappointment nowadays. And while the beaches often look great in the travel brochures they are rarely that good in reality and never match up to the beaches of the Caribbean or the Far East.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Debshomespun - Patrick gets a lot of praise on CC and I fear that we may be too late to book with him looking at conversations on our roll call. Are you aware of any other reasonable tour operator on BB?

Wendy the traveller - Thanks for the heads up on Raiatea. It's clear that each island has it's own archaeological element, so it's helpful to get a line in to a place of significance. As for Stingray Ballet that sounds a good possibility.

You both mention hiring cars, would you advise book in advance or are there enough to leave it till you turn up?

Fletcher - I take your point re damage to reefs. Our visit to the Great Barrier Reef ranks as one of my worst ever excursions because it was such a great let down. Friends often ask did we go there and it's always yes,but.

Anyone else with an opinion on any of the above or other elements please join in! One of the big problems with cruising is that you've rarely got more than one day and you want to make the best of it!

Caneable, you might want to try Damien on Bora Bora. I can't seem to find his website right now, but its something like, "boraboraphotolagon.com" That isn't it. Perhaps if you do a search under his name here on the Board, his actual website will be posted.

Anyway, we used him for our trip 2 years ago - there were only 6 of us - we went out for a half day snorkel trip. We went to 3 different places, including a stop at a deserted motu - he anchors the boat, then you walk across the motu and snorkel back. I guess it was a slow drift, in shallow water. Lovely, and deserted........He is a handsome young Frenchman, and very knowledgable about the waters and all things Bora Bora. At that time, the fee was about $100 pp.

We are using Patrick this time for our trip leaving on June 26, only because everyone who takes that tour raves about the experience. And, we wanted the roast pig baked in banana leaves in the sand! As you may know, the fee for this 3/4 day trip with lunch & champagne, depends on the number of pax. Right now, with 7 of us booked, the fee will be $145 pp. That includes 3 snorkel stops.

You should try him to see if he is booked if that is your preference, although as I say, Damien was great.

Except for this one tour with Patrick, we will use the PG's excursions for the rest of our tours.

we are only 6 weeks away from our trip, and are eagerly looking forward to it....(all except the plane ride, which is horrible, but there's nothing to be done about it.)

bon voyage and bon chance!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to reserve a rental car in Moorea for October 13 visit on Ms. Rotterdam. Can anybody recommend an agency? Most of the rentals appear to be arranged through hotels, or they are at the airport? How do we arrange pickup at the dock?

Thanks,

Juju

I am also looking at Patrick's tour (likely cruising in November). My husband does not like snorkeling (or really swimming for that matter) but is it possible to get an experience with the rays and sharks without going into deep water and snorkeling? Would it be a wasted experience for my husband to take Patrick's tour?

Banditoo, I just this minute finished posting a reply to folks on our roll call that sort of answers some of your questions. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24687516&posted=1#post24687516

I am also booked on Patrick's Bora Bora tour in October, and have thus done some research here at Cruise Critic about the tour. I got the impression from looking at other people's photos of their tours with Patrick that non-snorkelers were also able to have a lovely time. I don't know how sophisticated you are at using the search feature, but if you are in the South Pacific section and can find the Search box, enter Bora Bora Patrick, and you will find a whole bunch of folks who have been on that tour writing of their experiences and posting pictures.

I am also looking at Patrick's tour (likely cruising in November). My husband does not like snorkeling (or really swimming for that matter) but is it possible to get an experience with the rays and sharks without going into deep water and snorkeling? Would it be a wasted experience for my husband to take Patrick's tour?

Patrick's tour on Bora Bora has snorkling, but the rays are in waist deep water, and when you see the sharks you can stay in the boat and watch the sharks from above. The motu picnic is great and the lagoon is a beautiful don't miss part of French Polynesia!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Karen for posting that great link to your blog. Wow, now I can't wait to get to October!!!

So much to think about. Once me and my better half have had a good look through the pages I suspect I'll be back with ????? Back soon!

Archived