Seabourn announces revised dress code

Martita B.

Formal dress revised:

Cruises up to 13 days-1 formal evening

Cruises 14 to 20 days-2 formal evenings

Cruises 21 or more-3 formal evenings

(Holiday, World Cruise, special sailings varies)

Spirit, Legend, Odyssey -Oct. 2, 2010

Pride-Oct. 7, 2010

Sojourn-Oct. 11, 2010

Dress codes will be advised/printed on sailing documents

Martita B.

Formal dress revised:

Pride-Oct. 7, 2010

Sojourn-Oct. 11, 2010

Martita B.

Is this true on 7 day Carribean cruises as well?

Host Dan

Dan

You might want to check with your Travel Agent ~

This announcement was sent to me by my TA ~

I knew Seabourn was rethinking our formal evenings ~

As I enjoy the dressier/formal evening's I was delighted to

receive the news.

MB

Formal dress revised:

Pride-Oct. 7, 2010

Sojourn-Oct. 11, 2010

Martita B.

Are the October dates the effective date of this policy per ship?

Sounds like the Christmas/New Year cruise will still be formal. Again, you can still dress the way you want. Seabourn isn't going to care ifi you look better than anyone else...ha!! My husband might not take a tuxedo on certain cruises but he is never going without his jackets....and maybe a suit.

I really don't consider myself stupid, but this announcement is very unclear. Are those Oct. dates when the policy begins on each ship? I guess so.

We like formal nights, incl DH who loves to wear his tux, and will do formal night even with only 1 on a 10 day. However, a change to only 1 formal night is silly. It should either be no formal nights for cruises less than 14 days or at least 2. Bringing black tie and formal wear for just one night will be objected to by many I would think, especially by people who fly.

I really don't consider myself stupid, but this announcement is very unclear. Are those Oct. dates when the policy begins on each ship? I guess so.

We like formal nights, incl DH who loves to wear his tux, and will do formal night even with only 1 on a 10 day. However, a change to only 1 formal night is silly. It should either be no formal nights for cruises less than 14 days or at least 2. Bringing black tie and formal wear for just one night will be objected to by many I would think, especially by people who fly.

I agree with you..silly...I think they are doing it on purpose to see the reaction. What I don't get is...IF some do not want formal..they don't have to do it is simple.. go the the other restaurant...or wear a suit. I agree, you can dress as formally as you wish..but..most would feel foolish if others were quite casual..as so many seem to read.."elegant casual". I also agree with Martita..SB has always been formal..but..it seems that they are testing the waters to change that. It just might be time to flood Pam's desk with rebutals on this issue. Lola

The Oct. dates are the dates on each ship the dress code will take effect.

I'm not concerned as to stated formal evenings because I'll continue to dress up nightly ~with exception of 1st, last nights and Sky Grill dinners.Not in ball gowns or glitzy sequins/feathers but long skirts and dressy tops/jackets. I take mix 'n match and have found it just as easy (and lightweight) to pack elegant formalwear than to take "countryclub" wear.

MB

I'm not concerned as to stated formal evenings because I'll continue to dress up nightly ~with exception of 1st, last nights and Sky Grill dinners.Not in ball gowns or glitzy sequins/feathers but long skirts and dressy tops/jackets. I take mix 'n match and have found it just as easy (and lightweight) to pack elegant formalwear than to take "countryclub" wear.

MB

You are quite right about elegant ladies wear. Lois has some very nice outfits that pack very small and steam out nicely. I, on the other hand, cannot get my tux, several shirts, accessories and the patent leather shoes in my carry on and still have room for flip flops. :eek: But I will have a navy sportcoat and matching slacks (which I will wear on the plane) and, as we religiously travel only in carry ons, will have room for the country club casual gear for our September Spirit trip. I do agree, it is hard to justify the extra baggage troubles for one formal night-especially in the Caribbean-but I do like a bit of dress up too.:D

MB

Thanks for bringing this up. As a newbie I do have a formalwear question- are dressy pants with appropriate top or jacket acceptable, too, in addition to skirts and long dresses? And are cocktail dresses worn on elegant casual nights? Heaven forbid I leave something home and wish I had it with me and don't want to make an assumption as to how casual 'casual' might be!

We enjoy the elegance and special occasion atmosphere that accompanies formal attire. However, to pack and tote the tuxedo and gown w. accessories for only one evening will, I suspect, quickly lead to little formal wear on board.

It seems that most of the luxury lines are being pressed to go more casual. A recent sailor on the Crystal board even indicated that he observed some in jeans at dinner. We are on a 7 night Crystal in the fall. It has one formal night and I am already debating how to handle this. Regent has gone elegant casual w. 2 nights formal optional...a real hishy hashy stew.

It is challenging me to put jeans and six star white glove service together in one thought!

Dressy pants are indeed acceptable ~I have a pair of black chiffon pants that are 10 years old ~~classic, lightweight and best of all, don't wrinkle. A couple of black St John knit pairs that are dressy but can be daytime wear. I pair my evening wear with Alberto Makali tops/jackets ~(check out his marvelous, travel tops)

You can wear your cocktail dresses ~but I'd avoid "glitzy wear" on elegant casual evenings.

As to men....a navy blazer (especially if their "coat-of-arms" insignia adorns the pocket) is most suitable for evenings in the dining room.

I am really surprised hearing the revised dress code ~~it will please some and others will be disappointed. I just hope in the future we don't see jeans in the dining room or swimsuits/coverups during teatime!:eek: Not acceptable!

MB

Thanks so much for the advice, MB. It is hard the first time. No, I didn't mean glitzy on elegant casual, just the little black dress with jewelry kind. DH will, I'm sure, wear a sport jacket/sport shirt in the dining room most casual nights and we'll see what is standard for men in the alternative restaurants. Don't want to wear you out with all my questions at one time. ;)

'Little black dresses (I take short and long) are ideal for evenings ~be sure and pack a wrap as the dining rooms are chilly ~as well as the show lounges. I particularly like black cashmere as the fabric, lightweight and wrinkle free. Even some evening's the Sky Bar requires a light shrug or wrap.

More than happy to offer suggestions ~ when I first sailed Seabourn I had to guess as to what to pack ~~

MB

Thanks for bringing this up. As a newbie I do have a formalwear question- are dressy pants with appropriate top or jacket acceptable, too, in addition to skirts and long dresses? And are cocktail dresses worn on elegant casual nights? Heaven forbid I leave something home and wish I had it with me and don't want to make an assumption as to how casual 'casual' might be!

You will see everything...I think that you should wear what makes you happy. My husband and I like to dress..and miss the formal nights. You indeed see lots of cocktail dresses on ECN...and...some interpret "the casual" word way too much...ie tennis shoes..etc. :eek:

I interpret casual to mean 'country club casual'. One of the reasons we are leaving HAL for this cruise are the jeans and t-shirts in the dining room and the constant arguments about the dress code by the 'it's my vacation and I won't follow any dang dress code' crowd. I won't overdress, but for sure don't think I will underdress. I hope I don't sound snobby as I am anything but.

Have they not already eliminated formal nights on the seven day Med and Caribbean cruises? I bet "up to 13 nights" means between seven and thirteen. Imo, this is just a step on the way to eliminating formal nights on most cruises. If they can advertise themselves as less formal they can attract the younger demographic which is so important to them now. I don't think there are enough formal diehards out there to fill six ships all year long.

Have they not already eliminated formal nights on the seven day Med and Caribbean cruises? I bet "up to 13 nights" means between seven and thirteen. Imo, this is just a step on the way to eliminating formal nights on most cruises. If they can advertise themselves as less formal they can attract the younger demographic which is so important to them now. I don't think there are enough formal diehards out there to fill six ships all year long.

I'd really like to know if this is the correct interpretation. We were thinking of two 7 day Caribbean cruises, but only if there are no formal nights. Can anyone advise definitively?

The way I read it the first time..theywere talking of 13 nights and up..now..I go back and read it...and am not certain. It could be interpreted either way. I am going to be optomistic and hope that they have reinstated the 7 day formal nights. I hate to see the lovely cruises going casual..we witnessed this on Seagoddess and it ruined it for us..after many wonderful years. What happens..people take casual to mean slovenly..and it is unpleasant.

Archived