What have YOU done or mistake you've made to make you SMH

klfrodo

I don't let my wife pack my clothes. I figure if something gets left behind, I only have myself to blame. That's not to say she doesn't have input or provide a reminder, but I am responsible for what get's packed.

Fast forward. The day before our first formal night, I try on my rented tux to ensure it fits properly. Grab my shoes (which I packed), only to find I had packed 2 left shoes. :eek: Sneakers would not be a good replacement here..

Fortunately, our port the next day was St. Thomas. A PayLess Shoes store is in the port area. $20 later, my problem is resolved

Before computers came along, I typed lists of all items to go into each suitcase -- underware, formal wear, shampoos, soaps, etc. -- you get the idea.

I use sweater and blanket plastic bags to put everything in.

No matter whether it was a land tour for 3 weeks or cruising, about 3 or 4 days before we leave I get out the lists and we each round up all the items for one suitcase -- bag them all and pack that suitcase. Then move on to the next suitcase.

Never forgot anything heading for the land trips or cruises. But now I have to check hotels and cabins very carefully as DH has Parkinson's and some times leave items behind like shampoo -- his electric razor.

on my very first cruise I didn't bring flip flops with me. I don't know what I was thinking or not thinking. I didn't know I should have.

So, I wore my very nice dressy black shoes to the pool and beach, and my running shoes to an excursion (underground river tubing). Both were ruined by water.

Sorry, but what is SMH short for.

Thank you. I was also going to ask that question but googled and found out it means Shaking My Head.

Luckily we have never forgotten to pack anything. But I hadn't even thought of OTC meds until I had severe cold and had to pay ship shop prices for cold meds and aspirin.

Sorry, but what is SMH short for.

Shake My head

as in you've done or seen something so (silly, dumb, stupid, brainless, dopey, foolish) that all you can do is shake your head wondering what were you thinking.

Moi make a mistake? Surely you jest. (Just kidding). We were no strangers to packing lists long before we started cruising, but DH made a lulu of a boo boo on our first cruise.

Like most ladies, when I'm making my list for a trip, I include the needed accessories for each outfit. DH not so much. He managed to pack the correct shirt, cufflinks, tie, suspenders and shoes to wear with his tux, But forgot to pack a set of shirt studs. So the day of the first formal night we were running to every store on board the QM2 to find a set. Which we did. At a price.

Let's just say we are thankful for San Juan being our first port of call on a winter Caribbean cruise. Marshalls has saved our butts several times. Once, dh forgot a belt and his pants kept falling off, another time he forgot his casual shoes, and since he doesn't wear sandals or flip flops, we were so thankful to find a pair of boat shoes there. Despite a plethora of lists, we still usually forget something. But it's also amazing how well we make do without most of the things we do forget.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What other silly mistake have I made?

Since we live in the Seattle area, all warm weather cruises require that we fly.

Seattle to Miami is about a 5 1/2 flight.

Trying to save a little money back in the day, I selected Northwest Airlines. Saved about $50 a ticket for 5 people. Yea!!!

15 hours and 2 stops later, we finally arrived in Miami. Beat, dead dog tired. All to save $50 a person. That works out to $5 an hour.

I have learned that my time, my wife's time is worth much more than $5 an hour.

We stayed in a hotel the night before a cruise out of Houston. Our DIL informed us she needed to find a place to buy socks. She had failed to pack any for herself. She bought a package with a dozen pair at a sports store near the hotel.

Fast forward to actually being on the ship. I was unpacking my stuff and guess what I had forgot to pack? Socks. She loaned me a few pairs of her newly acquired ones.

I don't pack with lists, but after I pack, I mentally dress myself. Making sure I have underpants, undershirts, socks, etc. And I "dress: casual and dressy (mainly for work)..

What I do forget, is a light to medium jacket when transiting cold places. Last trip, I was supposed to do 24 hour in Seoul on the way back from Malaysia. So packed warm, did not think about freezing temps in Seoul. So had to buy a jacket in Malaysia.

Not the first jacket I have had to buy. :D

DH has an issue with dates. Twice he’s gone on vacation with a card that expired during vacation. Another time he thought Tuesday was the 22nd. Discovered that Monday was the 22nd when trying to do online checkin. Thankfully it was for the homebound flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums