Javin's Tours in St Kitts

CruisingEasy

• 7 months later...

I did the rain forest Ghaut tour with Javin today and it was fabulous. We started out with a stop at Black Rocks and then went to Upper Cayon where we started the Ghaut tour. The ghaut is basically a rocky river bed with some pools along the way. It is very hard to describe so I am attaching a link to my pictures. It was absolutely beautiful. We saw lots of elephant leaf plants, birds of paradise. a bamboo forest, and too many other trees and ferns to mention. To see the pictures go to

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=321346f3bd580b1601b4b1d6a41d02dda4ba0d1016193ac1

To book a tour, email myislands@aol.com or phone Javin at 661-6441.

DW and I did a tour with Javin in late feb. Overall we were very pleased with the day. We also went to the black rocks and then to the river hike. The river hike was very unique, and very fun. We were the only ones back there and had the place to ourselves. After that javin took us to a few places with nice views, one where you could see the carribbean on one side of the island and the atlantic on the other. Next was to a small bay where we swam out to a shipwreck for snorkeling. Finally, he took us to a beach for a few hours, forget the name but it was the one with the lions restaurant. After the beach, he took us back to the pier.

All in all a great day, we got to see a side of st kitts that most people don't, and doing the private tour allowed us to hike at our own pace without waiting for a large group. The hike was somewhat technical, not hard if you are young and in decent shape, but I wouldn't recommend to either of my parents. Javin is NOT your typical carribbean tour guide with canned jokes and lots of history about the island. he did point out landmarks along the way and answered any questions we asked, but I would say more time was spent in silence on his tour than any others we did. This was just fine with me, as I'm not big into the cheesiness of the tour guides anyway, but thought I'd mention it.

Javin has some nice touches too, like I told him my DW would love to see monkeys, and he kept an eye out for them on the sides of the roads. He spotted a bunch, and we got some good pictures. His communication both before and after were as good as anyone we used.

All in all a great trip, and highly recommended for those who want a little more adventurous a day.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading these message boards for weeks on end and e-mailing about 10 different people and companies, I was most impressed with Javin. He was the most responsive and helpful and also offered a private tour. It was just my husband and I and Javin. We were able to spend as much time as we wanted at the stops that I chose.

Javin was wonderful to work with, quick to respond, and very accommodating to our requests. We toured the island in April of 2010, stopping at Romney Manor, Brimstone Hill Fortress, Black Rocks, Timothy Hill, and a stop at his local favorite restaurant-it was some yummy food! We also did a rainforest hike up Ghaut canyon. It was incredible and refreshing to get away from it all. He also provided some delicious treats after the hike and taught us a lot about the floral and fauna of the rainforest. I highly recommend hiring Javin for your tour for a fun filled day of adventure. It was a wonderful change from the cruise tours and we felt very well taken care of.

• 2 months later...

Me, my wife and 2 kids (son 12, daughter 11) just spent 12 days in St. Kitts and Nevis...what a great trip. On our first full day there, we booked a rainforest hike with Javin. My son and daughter called it the best excursion they have ever done!

We visited Black Rocks, Javin's hometown of Cayon and allowed him to show us so much of the unique plants and terrain of St. Kitts. From there we climed up a ghaut into the rainforest and swam in the pools along the way. Attached are a couple of photos from the excursion:

After the hike, we came back down and had some fresh off the tree mangos and locally baked coconut roll...delicious!

Javin picked us up at the hotel around 9 AM and dropped us back around 1 PM...it was a great way to get the vacation started.

Javin is a nice young man that is keeping his business small and offering great personal service. The entire experience for the 4 of us was only $140...very good price for what we received. He also took lots of photos for us, which he posted on his site and we were able to download for our own memories...a rare occasion to have all of the family in the photos we keep.

If you are going to St. Kitts, please do not hesitate to use Javin. In my opinion, he provides the type of intimate island education/experience you wish you always got when traveling.

Contact him from his website at myislandstours.shutterfly.com. Many other photos too to give you an idea of the experience.

1903021081_StKitts_Nevis(1).jpg.f0107531ae7a4d7f631565fc5965b4bf.jpg

758610816_StKitts_Nevis(19).jpg.1fe20ad8f1721ea2e8deb646f2adb845.jpg

• 3 months later...

Any recent reviews? I'm considering his full day tour on my next trip. Was wondering if it all fits into the day or did anyone feel rushed? I love the idea of rainforest/hiking and beach/snorkeling in one day with a bit of sightseeing. Any advice greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We just toured with Javin last month. We decided to customize our own itinerary as this was our first visit to St Kitts. Also we are not hikers.

Javin was so wonderful. He took us to all of the key points of the Island. He provided us with so much history and his knowledge. We ended the day with a couple hours beach time at the beach he and his wife were married at.

He is one of the best guides we have been with. We love Bernard on St Martin and now also love Javin.

We will for sure use him again when we return to the Island. I just can't say enough good things and we had the best day ever!

He also takes photos of you along the way and they are available afterwards on Shutterfly.

You can't go wrong with Javin and St Kitts is gorgeous!

• 6 years later...

Just took Myislands tour with Javin in 12/17. This was the best tour of our trip. Javin is personable, courteous, and takes you to places off the beaten track. Javin's island is not the regular tourist spots, it is his rainforest and includes an island breakfast of typical foods. His coconut rum is delicious. His monkey Peaches was far more charming than I expected it to be. The tour ends with snorkeling to a wreck and I elected to stay on shore and snorkeling right next to the beach as it was too far for me but that was not a problem as it was not too long and the beach was pleasant with nice shells.

Just took Myislands tour with Javin in 12/17. This was the best tour of our trip. Javin is personable, courteous, and takes you to places off the beaten track. Javin's island is not the regular tourist spots, it is his rainforest and includes an island breakfast of typical foods. His coconut rum is delicious. His monkey Peaches was far more charming than I expected it to be. The tour ends with snorkeling to a wreck and I elected to stay on shore and snorkeling right next to the beach as it was too far for me but that was not a problem as it was not too long and the beach was pleasant with nice shells.

Thank you for your review, we will be doing the tour next month. When people snorkeled, is there a secure place for your belongings?

Debr

• 2 weeks later...

We just did this tour last week and loved it. We are not a family of hikers at all. The hike through the rainforest was great! He stopped a few times to talk about what we were seeing and such. My husband has bad knees and managed fine. One of those things we glad we did and it was a little more of a hike than expected. I didn't do the snorkeling but the rest of the family did and loved it - his monkey even goes into the ocean with you. I really wouldn't recommend you do the tour if you are not going to do these - the two major highlights of the tour. You can ask him if he will do other things but if I wouldn't do this tour and sit out both options while the others do them. Hope that helps some.

We’ll be joining Javin’s tour on Monday, February 19, 2018. We’ll be aboard the MSC Divina as part of the Holistic Holiday at Sea. Javin has offered to provide local vegan snacks to accommodate us. Anyone interested in joining us, please contact me.

• 1 month later...