which river cruise, viking or uniworld

Viktoria

Look at the ships online, their itineraries, prices and policies. It's a matter of taste.

Uniworld price is all inclusive, all tips and all liquor, a non factor for me. Viking suggests cash tips for guides, 2 euros per person and bus drivers 1 euro per person. They also suggest substantial tips for cruise director & crew which you can pay at checkout. They have a Silver Spirits package both cabin must purchase together if desired that covers liquor and better wines. Just adjust your trip cost accordingly when comparing.

Been on Viking and excited to be trying Uniworld in Portugal. Our travel friends love Uniworld. There are several good cruise lines to choose from.

Uniworld has an excellent reputation and is considered a more upscale line than Viking if that matters to you. Viking has more ships and advertises a lot but that doesn’t mean they are necessarily “better”. I’ve sailed Uniworld and thought they were excellent. Do consider the day by day itinerary.

Agree with all of the responses so far and one other thing I always take into consideration is the payment for the cruise. Viking wants their payment way in advance while Uniworld is more "user friendly" with their payment plan if that is an issue for you.

Cole

Viking wants their payment way in advance while Uniworld is more "user friendly" with their payment plan if that is an issue for you.

It is always worth pushing back on the early payment point, it only allies in North America, elsewhere they have similar terms to all the other cruise lines and there have been a few reports now of them varying the advance payment deadline when pressed on the matter...

We have been on four Viking cruises and have loved each of them, and have our fifth booked for April 2018. We have not cruised with Uniworld, but, based on my research, the two appear to be very different. We prefer not to pay for extra amenities such as a spa, fitness center or swimming pool, none of which we would use. Same thing with a butler, not worth the extra expense to us. We don't mind the Viking tipping policy, don't understand why it is such a big issue for many cruisers. Check out each cruise line and see what the differences are, then decide what is essential for you and what you can live without.

I have cruised both. Food and service are strikingly better on Uniworld. I realize you don’t drink but the wine selections on Uniworld are far superior to Viking’s also.

Viking has fixed dinner hours for all. They stuff 190+ into the dining room for dinner and serve everyone each entree at the same time. Uniworld has open seating, so on comes in for dinner when they please during the dinner hour. This additional provides for far better service on Uniworld. Uniworld ships don’t carry as many passengers, so things aren’t as crowded. Uniworld’s whisperers , used on ship tours, are far superior to Viking’s.

Agree with all of the responses so far and one other thing I always take into consideration is the payment for the cruise. Viking wants their payment way in advance while Uniworld is more "user friendly" with their payment plan if that is an issue for you.

Cole

Will consider other lines in the future due to this payment plan. Like to pay in order of the time we are cruising and not liking Viking pushing to the front of the line.

Will consider other lines in the future due to this payment plan. Like to pay in order of the time we are cruising and not liking Viking pushing to the front of the line.

Viking will ask for full payment crazy early, but if you resist they will back off to 6 months from sail date -- still longer than all other cruise lines IME but not as bad. Also, in comparing apples to apples, if you pay with an American Express Platinum card you get $300 OBC from AMA and Uniworld and maybe Crystal [uniquely among river cruise lines] -- but before you count this make sure there will be ways to spend it onboard (given the inclusive nature of Uniworld and Crystal).

Here in the UK, Viking require a deposit of 25%, and final payment no later than 10 weeks prior to departure.

Uniworld require a deposit of 10%, and final payment no later than 120 days prior to departure.

It is only in North America that Viking has the earlier payment requirement, all other markets are the same or better than most of their competitors.

• 1 month later...
Look at the ships online, their itineraries, prices and policies. It's a matter of taste.

Uniworld price is all inclusive, all tips and all liquor, a non factor for me. Viking suggests cash tips for guides, 2 euros per person and bus drivers 1 euro per person. They also suggest substantial tips for cruise director & crew which you can pay at checkout. They have a Silver Spirits package both cabin must purchase together if desired that covers liquor and better wines. Just adjust your trip cost accordingly when comparing.

Been on Viking and excited to be trying Uniworld in Portugal. Our travel friends love Uniworld. There are several good cruise lines to choose from.

***Uniworld does not include liquor, only wine, as with all river cruise lines. I have never been told how to tip on Viking.We have been on viking, ama, and are booked on uniworld. choose by date and itinerary. you'll be fine on any of them. Ama was no better, btw

***Uniworld does not include liquor, only wine, as with all river cruise lines. I have never been told how to tip on Viking.We have been on viking, ama, and are booked on uniworld. choose by date and itinerary. you'll be fine on any of them. Ama was no better, btw

Incorrect. Uniworld DOES include liquor, beer, soft drinks, etc all day long, not just at meals. There are a handful of "premium spirits" which are extra, but we had no problem sticking to the included ones.

Robin

To be totally accurate, Uniworld includes all liquors ( except perhaps a few expensive scotches) all on of its European cruises. Cruises to China, Egypt, and other areas all have separate policies. Read the information for each of the non European cruises for precise details.

Viking specifically tells you how much of a tip is expected. We received a pdf file with the amounts.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a spectacularly flawless three weeks on the Viking Embla in 2015 sailing from Amsterdam to Bucharest. They have us no reason to change lines and we haven’t. We are looking at other routes but too many involve bus segments grafted onto short sailings.

The fact that they “suggest” or “recommend” tipping amounts is no doubt due to the fact that it is a constant topic on lists such as this. They are answering a question people ask.

I would sail again on the Embla and love to have the same crew. I’m sure there are AMA, Avalon, Scenic, etc folks who have the same thoughts.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't know where you received this misinformation. Beer, wine, and hard liquor were all included on my Uniworld cruises. I was never charged for a martini or Scotch and soda.

Roz