Forward facing deluxe balconies on Royal and Regal

Kamloops50

I'm looking at booking this cabin for a cruise ;

Princess says these balconies are locked when at sea.

I've saw people write that these balconies where never locked.

Can someone clarify this for me?

They are not locked. They're fully accessible while at sea or port.

The only restrictions is that at night, you can't use the balcony light, and curtains have to be kept closed. Excess light interferes with navigation.

Enjoy!

No one is going to lock your door. That much is a non issue. It probably will be too windy to enjoy the balcony at times when the ship is underway.

You don't say which cabin you're considering, and it makes a big difference. We were in Royal M101 in January and were kind of disappointed. M102 would share these drawbacks. The problems were a lot of equipment and visual clutter in your line of sight as you look forward and a lot of noise from the crew in the hallway. It seemed that the supply closet was right across from our cabin and it was a gathering and gossiping spot.

I think M103 and M104 are off to the side enough to avoid these issues. Upstairs, all the Lido deck deluxe balconies would be free of the visual clutter, but I don't know about where the stewards' supply closet is.

The visual clutter isn't the end of the world, but like I said it was a little disappointing after looking forward to the cabin. And the noise was more noticeable than any other cruise we've been on.

Jim

We were in M108 in April and the size of the balcony is ginormous. You could have a party out there.

The doors do not have locks on them and there was never a problem with the cruise line saying that you couldn't go out there. The issue is that once the ship is moving it gets very windy and uncomfortable out there. We used the area only when approaching and leaving ports. For the cost difference, it's probably not worth it but it someone gave it to me, I would take it!!

There is no clutter in your vision and we had tables, chairs and deck chairs out there.

We always book these cabins on Lido deck, our favourite being L101. The balcony is actually wider than the cabin, due to the fire equipment closet between cabins. Love it! The balcony door is NEVER locked by anyone, unless you do it yourself. Yes, it can be windy when the ship is underway, however the balcony is so huge, we just sit further back towards the door where it's sheltered. Check out youtube. There is an excellent posting for this cabin.

L101 on the Royal has to be the best balcony cabin in the fleet. The balcony is almost as big as the cabin (estimated at about 150 square feet). The door is never locked, and the wind is not that big of a problem due to the steel railing in front. The only problem is that if it rains while underway, you will get wet.

• 6 months later...

L107 is fantastic. Some evenings it was too windy to really enjoy being outside but most of the time the only difficulty is getting the sliding door to latch properly when you close it behind you due to the pressure of the wind against it. The metal front of the balcony deflects the wind over you if you're sitting down, or you can stand at the rail end enjoy the wind in your hair! Of course it also depends on the wind direction, if it's coming from behind then it can be beautifully calm out on the balcony. There's a weather vane on the top of the starboard bridge wing that you can check the wind speed and direction before opening the door, not sure if the port side had one too. I think this would only be visible from M107/L107 though.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

We had M107 on the Regal recently. When the ships going with the wind it very nice out on the balcony. One day we had a 30kt wind from the front + the ship speed. I hung on to the front rail and it felt like going 60MPH on my old motorcycle, exhilarating. Getting back inside I felt like a wing walker.

framer

I'm looking at booking this cabin for a cruise ;

Princess says these balconies are locked when at sea.

I've saw people write that these balconies where never locked.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Not true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had L108 on the Royal last year. Great 2 room stateroom with exceptionally large balcony. Balcony was never locked and was able to use whenever we wanted.

The other benefit is that this room was part of the Club Class staterooms and we had a separate, no wait, dinning room whenever we where hungry.