Tell me about Golden Princess

SPacificbound

We have sailed on the Golden for 42 days and we have booked the 28 day LA to Sydney cruise next September. We like the original Grand class ships, the Grand, the Golden and the Star. We haven’t been on the Golden since 2012. These are pluses for us:

1. We like the large seating/lounging area around the Terrace Pool

2. Others may not agree but we like shade from Skywalkers when sitting around the Terrace Pool

3. We like the layout of Vines that was added to the older ships rather than the original layout on the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby.

4. We prefer the Vista Lounge layout as compared to Club Fusion on later ships.

5. We like the more intimate Wheelhouse Bar.

6. The covered Coral Reef & Pool is a plus in cooler climates.

7. We like the views From the “shopping cart handle” Skywalkers.

There are some negatives:

1. The saunas and steam rooms are outside by the Lap Pool rather than in the Spa changing rooms.

2. There is no Thermal Suite.

These are some thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have booked Golden Princess for the 2019 Transpacific Sydney to Los Angeles.

I know Golden Princess is old and will be heading to P & O, but other than that tell me about her.

Thank you in advance. :)

My DW and I have been on the Golden once in 2014 for the 28 day Hawaii Tahiti cruise and found it to be equal to her sister ships (Grand and Star). One thing we like of the original Grand Class ships is the covered Calypso Pool so that you can swim no matter what the weather (Too Cold, Hot, Rainy/Snowy and Windy).

You might also want to read Pescado Amarillo's cruise blog (http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/) as she and her husband are on the Golden right now doing Australia and New Zealand cruises.

Also for all the Princess experts out there has anyone heard that the Golden might not be going back to P&O? I ask this because somewhere in the Princess advertising for the Ocean Medallion the Golden was included in the ***** schedule. Inquiring minds would like to know!

Good luck and safe cruises.

There are some negatives:

1. The saunas and steam rooms are outside by the Lap Pool rather than in the Spa changing rooms.

2. There is no Thermal Suite.

These are some thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's enough reason right there not to book on this ship. I have a 3 night night already booked that I need to keep but now know not to do that again.

My DW and I have been on the Golden once in 2014 for the 28 day Hawaii Tahiti cruise and found it to be equal to her sister ships (Grand and Star). One thing we like of the original Grand Class ships is the covered Calypso Pool so that you can swim no matter what the weather (Too Cold, Hot, Rainy/Snowy and Windy).

You might also want to read Pescado Amarillo's cruise blog (http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/) as she and her husband are on the Golden right now doing Australia and New Zealand cruises.

Also for all the Princess experts out there has anyone heard that the Golden might not be going back to P&O? I ask this because somewhere in the Princess advertising for the Ocean Medallion the Golden was included in the ***** schedule. Inquiring minds would like to know!

We love the Golden as our favourite ship so far after 6 Princess cruises. We concur with previous posts giving positive responses. But one further reason is that Golden never felt crowded and the staff were super friendly and efficient. We are going on her again in March from Melbourne - Singapore

• 4 weeks later...
We have sailed on the Golden for 42 days and we have booked the 28 day LA to Sydney cruise next September. We like the original Grand class ships, the Grand, the Golden and the Star. We haven’t been on the Golden since 2012. These are pluses for us:

1. We like the large seating/lounging area around the Terrace Pool

2. Others may not agree but we like shade from Skywalkers when sitting around the Terrace Pool

3. We like the layout of Vines that was added to the older ships rather than the original layout on the Crown, Emerald, and Ruby.

4. We prefer the Vista Lounge layout as compared to Club Fusion on later ships.

5. We like the more intimate Wheelhouse Bar.

6. The covered Coral Reef & Pool is a plus in cooler climates.

7. We like the views From the “shopping cart handle” Skywalkers.

Couldn't agree more, we have had a 28 night and a 13 night trip on the Golden and it's our favorite ship. Both trips in the same room as we like the aft cabins and they are fantastic on the Golden. Unlike the more modern ships we've been on the Golden has proper size shuffle boards unlike these nonsense mini Christmas tree ones. 28 night was Beijing to Sydney late 2016, 13 was Sydney to Fiji/Noumea April 2017.

• 4 weeks later...

I know Golden Princess is old and will be heading to P & O, but other than that tell me about her.

Hi fyi i just published my thought in both the Write a review' section and also on the Boards page, they should appear soon. Feel free to ask any specific questions i havent covered 😀

I am on the transpacific that leaves japan on April 27. Prior to that cruise (including the Singapore part) she will have just come out of drydock. Some place on the board...or maybe a roll call there are the plans for what they are going to do with her. I don't think it is much...mostly refurbishing...but check back in May to see what people have to say about her.

I can't comment on whether or not the golden is going to p&o or not but our cruise in 2019 has ocean medallion listed on the personaliser at the moment so I guess it is still in the upgrade plan.

Dry dock is soon in a few months. I think it will just general maintenance, and there is talk of the Ocean Medallion being introduce November 2018 on the golden ( we cruise on her on the 8th November ) We like the golden and this will be our three cruise on her, asa lot of people say they like the older style ship a promenade which goes all the way round ( with stairs ) yes it could be wider.

We think the ship has a great vibe, staff always great and love skywalkers for canapés and sit during the day ( is sort of like a lighthouse ) also Club Class seam to work well on Golden.

Looking forward to our next trip

Cheers Don

I don't guess that there are any plans to add a thermal suite during the dry dock.....hey' date=' a girl can hope.[/quote']There is no room for a TS on the Grand or the Golden [emoji22] Staring with the third Grand class ship, the Star, the youth areas were moved aft making room for an enlarged Spa area that included the TS.

You can still hope but that Sun deck space where the youth areas were moved was converted to suites on the Golden and is no longer available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums