Any idea when Flying Clipper itineraries might be available?

AllisonJames

• 1 month later...

I didnt realize the new ship was called the Flying Clipper.....you are ahead of us on the info. We sailed Star Flyer a couple years back...doing Star Clipper in Feb.

Funny...six weeks? This just showed up on my board....hope you have a nice time on the new ship....

A little Google'ing pointed me to the shipyard's website:

https://www.brodosplit.hr/en/we-love-what-we-do/launching-of-the-worlds-biggest-sailing-ship/

The Flying clipper was just launched in June (2017). Progress is being made, but there wasn't any information as to how long the rigging and fitting out will take.

She will be bigger than the Royal Clipper (8,770 vs 5000 grt; 162 vs 134meters long, 6347 vs 5202 square meter sail area, and 300 vs 227 passengers.)

Both are 5 masted, but the new ship will be rigged as a barque (bark in the USA) vs a fully rigged ship as is the Royal Clipper. Being a barque means that the aft most mast has only fore and aft rigged sails; there are no square sails on the aft mast..

I'm sure the cruise experience will be the same as other ships, but it does appear that the dining room will span two decks (https://starclippers.co.uk/star-clippers-introduce-new-addition-to-the-fleet.html) If what you saw on the show looked like it interested you, I don't think you "need" to wait for the new ship.

Based on the photo in the last link I prefer the lines on the Royal Clipper; the raised Forecastle on the Flying Clipper looks to .. what's the word, chunky? to me. (I will still sail on her though!.)

Aloha,

John

Thanks everyone, weird that my original post on 9/30 did not show up on everyone's feed as it was showing on mine! I'm assuming that at this point the Flying Clipper will not enter service in late 2017 as it says on the website but probably more like late 2018 and wondering if it will be in time for the holiday season as that's the next timeframe I have available for a cruise! It seems to me if it is going to be any time in 2018 that itineraries might be released soon, I guess we will see!