Hand washing on cruise ships

froggy9143

I always wonder what the aversion is to washing your hands after using the restroom. I just got off of the Coral Princess and evey time I was in a public restroom the others just walked out after flushing and never washed? I do not want to get sick while on a ship I said something to each person as they were leaving the restroom about washing, All I get back was a snide look or in one case and older person then me 50+ said FU? really I just want to stay healthy, I also notice that on the Coral they was no staff person standing at the entrance of the buffet or dining room making sure people use the Purell. On the other ships there is alway someone there, on the Star you can't get past them in the buffet they will not hand you a plate till you wash/rinse with the purell.

Is it just me thats weird about people washing thier hands? Just touching the door handles in the restrooms and the flusher is enough to make anyone want to wash up.

I prefer to use my own hand sanitizer that I keep in my pocket when I've exited the bathroom, sorry you can't accept that choice over rinsing hands. Most people don't really wash, they rinse which is useless.

Fun thought:

Usually when there is an "outbreak" reported to the CDC, 6-10% of passengers have it, and 1-2% of crew have it.

Don't you think that's interesting given the crew is in tighter quarters, fatigued, partying at night, exposed to elements on colder cruises. The biggest difference I've seen and heard is that they are held to a very high standard of washing their hands frequently by management. Purell or not, that 4 to 9% difference would seem to be related to washing hands.

It also doesn't hurt to wipe down phones, remotes, and frequently touched surfaces in your cabin when you board the ship with disinfecting wipes.

Fun thought:

Usually when there is an "outbreak" reported to the CDC, 6-10% of passengers have it, and 1-2% of crew have it.

Don't you think that's interesting given the crew is in tighter quarters, fatigued, partying at night, exposed to elements on colder cruises. The biggest difference I've seen and heard is that they are held to a very high standard of washing their hands frequently by management. Purell or not, that 4 to 9% difference would seem to be related to washing hands.

What does the weather have to do with Noro virus?

• Like 1

Automatic flushers and water controls don't prevent urine from spraying all over the place on a man if they aren't controlling where the urine is going.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

lol if ya miss a urinal from less than a foot, ya got some real issues

as an fyi hand sanitizers are very ineffective against things like noroviruses - you need to thoroughly (time, friction, etc) wash your hands.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/cruiselines/hand_hygiene_general.htm

The efficacy of most alcohol-based hand antiseptics approximates simple hand washing. In addition, many alcohol-based hand antiseptics have very poor activity against bacterial spores, protozoan cysts and certain non-enveloped viruses, such as noroviruses.

• Like 1

As I was reading all the replies, a thought came to mind.

Why doesn't Princess create a 30 second video on hand washing and why it is important to do it on a cruise ship?

Make it a requirement to have the passenger sign off after viewing it. They can put it in with all the other forms we have to fill out when we purchase a cruise. Something simple and to the point online.

I also had a thought that perhaps I should wear white gloves around the ship :rolleyes: but then not needed as we take a lot of precautions and wash our hands a lot, take the stairs (try not to use handrails) and just pay attention to the coughers and sneezers.

I too (as a woman) have seen women walk out and not wash their hands on cruise ships and other public places. <sigh> As long as I take steps to protect myself and others that's all that really matters. Can't control those who do not think it is such an important action.

It's more like encouraging, not enforcing.

I find that staff are there on the first day of the cruise enforcing people to wash hands but thats it, no one there for remainder of cruise.

Then there are those in the Horizon who start chomping down on thier food in the buffet line because they are so starved they need food or they may not reach their table before they pass out from starvation. They lick their fingers and then grab the next serving spoon on the buffet . Even worse if its the same person you saw not washing their hands in the washroom :eek:

We use the sanitizer frequently for the germs it can handle. We wash our hands with soap frequently. I always push elevator buttons with my knuckle. I do end up using the handrails on the stairs sometimes (we take the stairs most of the time) but again, I wash my hands frequently with soap. I worked in IT and did a lot of field support where I had to handle other people's keyboards, mice, etc. I wash my hands a lot. It's kind of ingrained. We did get a very nasty cold on a cruise last year but most of the ship had it by the end of the cruise. Lots of coughing and such. Hand washing can only take you so far. Tongs in the buffet are where a lot of germs are passed along.

• Like 1

I find that staff are there on the first day of the cruise enforcing people to wash hands but thats it, no one there for remainder of cruise.

Then there are those in the Horizon who start chomping down on thier food in the buffet line because they are so starved they need food or they may not reach their table before they pass out from starvation. They lick their fingers and then grab the next serving spoon on the buffet . Even worse if its the same person you saw not washing their hands in the washroom :eek:

I rarely use their sanitizer because it cracks my skin. I wash in my room before going to the buffet.

One was to avoid many of the slobs who like to lick is to be first in the line. Cuts down on many of the problems.

Cold weather = kids are in school.

Definitely less kids means less hands to spread grime around.

True but cold weather also means more people indoors coughing and sneezing rather than outdoors. I wouldn't single out kids...I've seen plenty of adults sneeze on their hands, or other surfaces as well as race out of the bathroom with washing hands.

True but cold weather also means more people indoors coughing and sneezing rather than outdoors. I wouldn't single out kids...I've seen plenty of adults sneeze on their hands, or other surfaces as well as race out of the bathroom with washing hands.

I'll still take my chances without the kids any day.

Just stressing over all of this can make you sick... I ride public buses going to work... wash my hands regularly... rarely get sick... I do stay away from public restrooms as much possible on board, but the bottom iline s I was my hands a lot... rarely get sick. I eat breakfast in the cabin, pick up plate at lunch from the buffet... do the Crown Grill at night, so I am sure i am exposed to lots of germs, but with washing my hands seems to take care of it no matter what others do.

Keep a possible mind and stay health... but wash your hands.

I always wonder what the aversion is to washing your hands after using the restroom. I just got off of the Coral Princess and evey time I was in a public restroom the others just walked out after flushing and never washed? I do not want to get sick while on a ship I said something to each person as they were leaving the restroom about washing, All I get back was a snide look or in one case and older person then me 50+ said FU? really I just want to stay healthy, I also notice that on the Coral they was no staff person standing at the entrance of the buffet or dining room making sure people use the Purell. On the other ships there is alway someone there, on the Star you can't get past them in the buffet they will not hand you a plate till you wash/rinse with the purell.

Is it just me thats weird about people washing thier hands? Just touching the door handles in the restrooms and the flusher is enough to make anyone want to wash up.

And that is how outbreaks of Noro Virus happen!! Since you are experiencing people not washing, it would behoove one to be extra carefull with handwashing AND using a paper towel to turn off the faucets and another to open the door as you leave the restroom! I carry hand sanitizer everywhere on the ship and wipe off armrests and tables in the lounges!

That is just nasty and gross that people don't wash their hands!!! :eek:

I get strange looks on the airplane because I bring wipes to clean the tray table, the light and air knobs, the armrests and the seatbelts! Every since I heard that they don't ever clean the light switchs/knobs FOR THE LIFE OF THE PLANE, I have done my little housekeeping as soon as I take my seat! Also, I have seen people change their babies diaper on the tray table!!! EWWWW!

There have been studies on what type of germs that are on the menus in restaurants and you would be surprised at to just what is on them

And even more gross....the mints on the counters in diners and restaurants....full of urine!! :eek:

I call them peepeemints instead of peppermints! LOL!

Those same people who don't wash their hands are mostly likely the same ones who when they DO get the norovirus, don't report it because they don't want to be confined to their cabins. They just continue to spread their nastiness throughout the ship!

You might be aware that Purell is nearly useless against Norovirus....while hand washing with soap and water is very effective. We once met a CDC expert (lecturing the crew on a ship) who told us that his major problem with hand sanitizers is that they give the user a false sense of protection. Few folks will wash their hands with soap and water if there is a convenient hand sanitzer nearby.

Hank

Not me! I wash my hands with soap and hot water with lots of friction for at least 20 seconds (sing Happy Birthday) and then if there is also hand sanitizer I use that too.

I worked as an OR Nurse for 35 years...I am used to washing my hands!!

its fun to watch the waitresses in restaurants wait in customers, serve food, wrap the silverware, take money etc etc all without washing their hands

heck in the old days my fav sub shop took your order and made subs and took your money with no thought about it.

also wondering how many people here touch escalator handrails or do you use the back of your hand to steady yourself :)

I use my elbow....escalator handrails, elevator buttons, handrails on buses are airport transportation, bannisters, etc.

• Like 1

Princess has automatic flushers & water control systems.

No touching involved.

I have never seen automatic flushers on Princess...unless you are taking about Regal or Royal which I have not been on?