Bringing Food On-Board

ckb104

I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on the Princess website, so I'm asking here. Are you allowed to bring food back on-board from a port? I know a lot of people like to buy salmon or similar items when in Alaska and usually have it shipped, but I'm wondering about things like chocolates or other food items to take home.

Never had an issue bringing leftovers or opened food back onboard either. We primarily sail West Coast.

We've brought back molcajetes, tortillas and salsa, Agua Frescas. These are eaten right away (molcajete was for Mom) or by the next day (salsa). Even brought back some odd fruit in Hawaii.

Security can take it away, but the only comment we've ever had has been 'Where's mine?'

No problem bringing food onto the ship.

Processed and packaged food items like chocolates, candies, canned food like canned salmon, can be brought into the U.S. when you disembark. Things like fresh meats, and fruits can not be brought into the U.S.. Not sure about smoked salmon. Better to have this shipped I would think.

It's very common to buy things such as chocolate, cookies or other baked goods during a port day. Especially if it's something native to the area you're visiting. For us, it may be sealed when we get on the ship, but doesn't stay that way long and almost never makes it off the ship. ;p

I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on the Princess website, so I'm asking here. Are you allowed to bring food back on

Most likely only "packaged" food. Leftovers from a shore meal, fresh fruit or fish will likely get confiscated.

Edited by keithm
changes

I have had left over food (from lunch) confiscated by security. I've been asked to finish my drink before coming onboard. Never had any problems with commercially wrapped products (candies, cookies, nuts, etc) being brought on to the ship.

I've really never heard anyone say that and Princess surely doesn't mind.

If they do, they're keeping it a big secret.

I have had left over food (from lunch) confiscated by security. I've been asked to finish my drink before coming onboard. Never had any problems with commercially wrapped products (candies, cookies, nuts, etc) being brought on to the ship.

Huh.....

No problem bringing food onto the ship.

Processed and packaged food items like chocolates, candies, canned food like canned salmon, can be brought into the U.S. when you disembark. Things like fresh meats, and fruits can not be brought into the U.S.. Not sure about smoked salmon. Better to have this shipped I would think.

Smoked salmon is sold usually in sealed packages so no problem bringing them back on board or bringing them back into the lower 48 if the package has not been opened.

Princess announced a policy that will let pax on a fishing excursion in AK bring their catch onboard and the galley will prepare it for their dinner. Not sure how long they have had this policy but noticed it when we booked our AK cruise for this summer.

Things like candy are fine. We didn't have a problem bringing a cheese wheel from Aruba onboard but did have to declare it at the agricultural inspection at the San Juan airport and they made us open the bag so they could check it.

I'm having trouble finding an answer to my question on the Princess website, so I'm asking here. Are you allowed to bring food back on

Most likely only "packaged" food. Leftovers from a shore meal, fresh fruit or fish will likely get confiscated.

Originally posted by floridalover5623 I've really never heard anyone say that and Princess surely doesn't mind.

Originally posted by cr8tiv1 I have had left over food (from lunch) confiscated by security. I've been asked to finish my drink before coming onboard. Never had any problems with commercially wrapped products (candies, cookies, nuts, etc) being brought on to the ship.

Conflicting experiences. Just because it happened to me, doesn't mean that it will happen to anyone else. I'm only stating my events.

They just didn't want you to spill any & cause a hazard for others to slip on.

Originally posted by floridalover5623 I've really never heard anyone say that and Princess surely doesn't mind.

Originally posted by cr8tiv1 I have had left over food (from lunch) confiscated by security. I've been asked to finish my drink before coming onboard. Never had any problems with commercially wrapped products (candies, cookies, nuts, etc) being brought on to the ship.

Conflicting experiences. Just because it happened to me, doesn't mean that it will happen to anyone else. I'm only stating my events.

I think I will go with your experience.

We often get bakery items when we are travelling on cruises in Europe... sometimes other favorite port street foods... never had a problem bringing back on board... we usually enjoy on board and do not take them with us off the ship. Also have bought nuts, dried fruit, of course candy...only line that seemed to prohibit this was NCL... we have done this on Princess, Celebrity, Crystal, Holland America and Cunard.

I've seen Mcdonalds being confiscated at Hong Kong and other ready made meals turned away elsewhere. With princess I think it's safe to say that it needs to be packaged goods to make it on. I mean nothing is stopping you from hiding a Big Mac down your pants but it really isn't worth it. I bring coffee and milk on board all over the place, no problems with that.

Princess announced a policy that will let pax on a fishing excursion in AK bring their catch onboard and the galley will prepare it for their dinner. Not sure how long they have had this policy but noticed it when we booked our AK cruise for this summer.

Note that this is only for a Princess excursion.

If you catch salmon on a non-Princess excursion it cannot be brought onto the ship.

We always bring packaged food with us upon boarding for excursions ....granola bars, small packages of nuts, etc. ... but all sealed! That way, we also have them for the airport / plane ride for the flight back home ... as you know we are going to be starving.

There is no problem with this in the very least. Just don't try to take any food from the ship off the ship. And, you can always bring sealed food items back home with you that you've purchased in port.

As for bringing fresh or unpackaged food back onboard from the port, they've not had any issues with this and we've done it many times ... but come to think of it, though, it's always been when we were within the US. Not sure if that made any difference, though. We've taken finger bananas back after visiting a farmers market in Hawaii, beignets in New Orleans ... and even fresh flowers from Pikes Market in Seattle. All were fine .... and we asked so it wasn't like we were trying to sneak them on. We, of course, were not allowed to take these items back off in any port ...including our disembarkation port.