Sydney cruise terminal : Now rubbing it in!!

alfredo1

After recent discussion and disappointment regarding the berthing of Azamara Journey at White Bay in Sydney, the NSW Port Authority are now rubbing it in with a picture of an Azamara ship at the Ocean Terminal where we would all like to be.

Maybe a copyright agreement could reach a solution. If only.

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/

After recent discussion and disappointment regarding the berthing of Azamara Journey at White Bay in Sydney, the NSW Port Authority are now rubbing it in with a picture of an Azamara ship at the Ocean Terminal where we would all like to be.

Maybe a copyright agreement could reach a solution. If only.

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/

It looks like we are in White Bay next year, what is the problem with this please?

It looks like we are in White Bay next year, what is the problem with this please?

The issue is it is not near anything, you are dependent on shuttle boat or bus to get anywhere. When we were there (though it might have changed) you needed taxis in the evening and there were no taxis lined up at the terminal which made enjoying an evening in town quite a challenge.

The other berthing place is right opposite the Opera House, a few steps from the historic Rocks District and Circular Quay. It really is where you want to be.

Our President, Larry Pimentel, addressed this on another thread just recently:

Larry Pimentel

President & CEO

Azamara Club Cruises

#24, Posted February 13th, 2017, 12:23 PM

I mostly agree with you Alfredo1.

We always do everything we can to get the Overseas Cruise Terminal. However, Sydney is one of the most popular cruise destinations in the world. Unfortunately there are only two piers available where you can turn a cruise ship around. One is the Overseas Cruise Terminal and the other one is the White Bay Terminal. Frankly they need more space to land cruise vessels.

Because there aren't any other locations in Sydney, the Port takes reservations years in advance. The final decision of which pier we are assigned is the decision of the port authority, not the cruise line. They take the decision based on the best economics for the region. We are their guests and as visitors we gladly accept what is assigned. The alternative is simply not going to the destination. Furthermore, our Sydney docking position can be changed prior to arrival by regulation. Again the decision is up to local authorities, not the cruise line.

I also want to interject a notion that our staff at sea and land are very experienced. Our deployments are created with both shore side and shipping staffs involvement. Why would I even reference this? Because when I see postings suggesting we either did not know or failed to select the best terminal, nothing could be further from the truth.

In the case of our calls to Sydney in March, we have currently been assigned to White Bay. While we would prefer to be at the Overseas Cruise Terminal, we are fortunate that we are confirmed at White Bay. The alternative would be to not have any pier assignment which would be an even worse situation. Please note that we do provide a shuttle in the city when at White Bay, and there is also a really nice ferry ride from the terminal in to the city center. These fee based services are created for our voyage. The onboard team will provide all of the details when you get onboard.

Should something change prior to our arrival, we will certainly let you know.

Safe Travels!

Larry Pimentel

President & CEO

Azamara Club Cruises

Edited by BBMacLaird
formatting of pasted comments needed cleaning up

We are currently on the Journey and we docked in White Bay. No, it is not ideal but Azamara arranged shuttle busses to Darling Harbour. Captain Cook cruises also have ferries to Darling Harbour on days cruise ships are at White Bay. On the two days we were in Sydney Cunard QM 2 and RCL Ocation of the seas were at Circular Quay.

Last year I was at White Bay when we first arrived. We use the ferry to the Quay which is where you want to be. Surprised that you are sailing to Darling Harbor as it a walk to where I want my day to be.

We were very lucky as we had free ferry tickets for two days. We also had rain so I stayed in the first night. The second day we moved to the Quay with the welcome boats with water spraying everywhere.

This year I am again at White Bay..but getting off ship. I notice the bigger ships from HAL to RCI seem to get in town.

Last year I was at White Bay when we first arrived. We use the ferry to the Quay which is where you want to be. Surprised that you are sailing to Darling Harbor as it a walk to where I want my day to be.

We were very lucky as we had free ferry tickets for two days. We also had rain so I stayed in the first night. The second day we moved to the Quay with the welcome boats with water spraying everywhere.

This year I am again at White Bay..but getting off ship. I notice the bigger ships from HAL to RCI seem to get in town.

Because the bigger ships can't pass under the Bridge to reach White Bay, if there are two ships in port, one fits under the bridge the other won't, obviously the bigger ship gets OPT, the smaller White Bay.

We are currently on the Journey and we docked in White Bay. No, it is not ideal but Azamara arranged shuttle busses to Darling Harbour. Captain Cook cruises also have ferries to Darling Harbour on days cruise ships are at White Bay. On the two days we were in Sydney Cunard QM 2 and RCL Ocation of the seas were at Circular Quay.

Azamara obviously have listened if they are now doing buses to Darling Harbiur, that will make a big difference. Last year the Captain Cook ferries were limited and whilst they went to OPT the boating congestion there reduced the frequency.

As I said before Sydney is the one place where being small is a disadvantage- the bigger you are the better the location you park at.

One solution would of course be to alter the coat hanger so the big boys can use Whites Bay :D

Because the bigger ships can't pass under the Bridge to reach White Bay, if there are two ships in port, one fits under the bridge the other won't, obviously the bigger ship gets OPT, the smaller White Bay.

Too funny! Never really thought about thst as the bridge is so high when you climb it. But HAL and others do go to White Bay.

I rather wait fir the ferry to the Quay then go anywhere else. All I did there was within walking distance to there.

Azamara obviously have listened if they are now doing buses to Darling Harbiur, that will make a big difference. Last year the Captain Cook ferries were limited and whilst they went to OPT the boating congestion there reduced the frequency.

As I said before Sydney is the one place where being small is a disadvantage- the bigger you are the better the location you park at.

One solution would of course be to alter the coat hanger so the big boys can use Whites Bay :D

I've suggested just taking a bit of water out of the harbour, then they'd fit.

No one seems. Be interested in my ideas but.

The issue is it is not near anything, you are dependent on shuttle boat or bus to get anywhere. When we were there (though it might have changed) you needed taxis in the evening and there were no taxis lined up at the terminal which made enjoying an evening in town quite a challenge.

The other berthing place is right opposite the Opera House, a few steps from the historic Rocks District and Circular Quay. It really is where you want to be.

Ok, thanks, first time in Sydney so interesting to know this.

Ok, thanks, first time in Sydney so interesting to know this.

Ships accessing White Bay are able to sail under the Harbour Bridge, but I notice the bigger ships from HAL to RCI seem to get in town.

We stayed in an hotel on Darling Harbour pre cruise for 5 days (2008)

We found plenty of places to eat ( outdoors) and were situated opposite the Maritime Museum, which was very interesting for a morning visit. There was also an Aquarium, which was very popular.

The ferry boats from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay were very regular, but I only saw White Bay from the water. I think development /renovations were underway in 2008.

I've suggested just taking a bit of water out of the harbour, then they'd fit.

No one seems. Be interested in my ideas but.

I was so disappointed when Azamara removed the fitting of the submarine kit from the last dry dock schedule

The issue is almost totally economics 101. First, RCL, HAL, Princess and other large ships make numerous stops in SYD during the season. AZ makes maybe a couple; and the same for O. More stops, more preferred dockage. Second, ship size matters. If you were a merchant, tour operator, restaurant owner,etc, would you want a 650 pax ship docking quay side, or one with 3000+- pax? It's all about economic impact.

The issue is almost totally economics 101. First, RCL, HAL, Princess and other large ships make numerous stops in SYD during the season. AZ makes maybe a couple; and the same for O. More stops, more preferred dockage. Second, ship size matters. If you were a merchant, tour operator, restaurant owner,etc, would you want a 650 pax ship docking quay side, or one with 3000+- pax? It's all about economic impact.

Yes, you would want a 650 pax ship at OPT when there's NO ship there. The original issue was that Journey was to move from White Bay to OPT the evening of March 21 when the Carnival ship left and remain there till 8.00 pm on the 22nd (the day I sail) as Quest had done last year. Changing plans to stay at White Bay is more of a problem for those staying on board overnight. However for people boarding they could have dropped their luggage off and then enjoyed the city.