Thought cruising was boring

Gingee

Cruising is not for everyone. Some folks have totally different expectations for what they consider to be an ideal vacation. I've been on over fifty cruises, but there are certain apsects of it I don't like, so I can sympathize with those who don't like much about cruising at all. I don't condemn them for their preferences. I hate, hate, hate camping. Vacations are truly a matter of each to his own.

In your camp here......hate hate hate camping!!!:(

My idea of camping is "no room service"!

I know someone who went with a family group. Just got off the cruise this morning. Four night cruise Bahamas Anyway they thought it was boring. But get this - The one who thought it was boring won a ship on a stick in a trivia game. What more could you get? LOL Anyway her relative won a seven day cruise. Wow

What I am saying to newbies is if you don't care to sit in the sun, try some of the activities.

Lol, this reminds me of my first time. I won a set of luggage tags. Someone else in my group, yes you guessed it.......won a cruise! :rolleyes:

I think whats irritating about people who pronounce cruising "boring" is there are lots of different *types* of cruises, depending on factors like line, ports, season. Yes some people will be bored on some cruises. I would be bored stiff on a villa holiday, but that wouldn't make me say that "holidays", as a whole, are boring.

A cruise boring?? Agree -- they must be boring as well.

I basically regard a cruise ship as a large bus that gets me to places so I guess that you can say that I find cruising boring with some exceptions such as Alaska or Antarctica which have great scenery. Days spent in the middle of the ocean bore me to tears. However, I do find places that the ship takes me to interesting.

I do other types of trips such as 2 - 3 month road trips. Would you find that boring?

To each his or her own.

DON

This is what I have told my husband to regard the cruise as! It's also helps that we have a shirt stay in Miami at both ends! Also we have only 2 sea days to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are all different and you are never going to get 100 people to all like or not like something.

Cruising is not for everyone. That's what makes us human.

Keith

And the cruise I love someone else may hate.

I basically regard a cruise ship as a large bus that gets me to places so I guess that you can say that I find cruising boring with some exceptions such as Alaska or Antarctica which have great scenery. Days spent in the middle of the ocean bore me to tears. However, I do find places that the ship takes me to interesting.

I do other types of trips such as 2 - 3 month road trips. Would you find that boring?

To each his or her own.

DON

I find road trips as boring as you find cruising. I love sea days and try to book cruises with the most although 6 days from England might be hard to take.

I figured out FIL = father in law

MIL must = mother in law

What the heck is DH, DW, DD, DS????

do people type anymore!!!!???? :rolleyes:

I have wondered if it stood for "Designated husband" etc. must be "Dear or Darling". [emoji41]

I feel like cruising isn't for everyone. Not every destination is for everyone. I am not a sun person..you will find me in a lounge chair in the shade, wrapped up like a mummy, looking like Casper. But I like the warm weather so I like the Caribbean.

My sister would HATE cruising..my Dad would HATE it. My Mom would love it if she'd just try it once!!

To each his or her own.

DON

This is my take on cruises, too, with exceptions for the small expedition ships that get me out into incredible areas. Otherwise, the ship is my floating hotel. I'm all about the ports.

I like long road trips, too. Bought a small travel trailer so I can stay places I find interesting with no hassles about my dogs.

I agree- anywhere with no room service is pretty much camping :-)

My DW has a somewhat different definition. "Roughing it" to her means a Motel 6 with a black and white TV and no ice machine.

I have also just found out what a PVP is! Not a usual thing in the UK and in our family it seems to be me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We call them PCP here personal cruise planner, ours has been fantastic, unfortunately just retired, I hope her replacement is as good.

She knew exactly what we wanted in terms of cabin meal times etc, and at times actioned price drops without even asking (when it was clear we'd be better off one example price drop $300 but lost $50 OBC, SPECIALTY restaurant and bottle of wine (she knew we don't drink) so $300 for $75, she couldn't contact me, so just did it.

What I call service.

• 1 year later...

Well here is one/two people who will not be cruising again. Was our second cruise so we have tried it more than once lol.

We are not into bingo..yuk...not into lying around pool getting tanned or swimming...playing board games..how many can you play to fill in time....reading books...for a limited time. Admittedly our last cruise was 5 days at sea...too long. Yes there is an evening show but did not go for long and the crowds on large ships are the pits.

Never witnessed such gluttony by a great many overweight people and those who were working on it. Appalling. Obviously it is a cheap holiday when you factor in all the meals and found that a lot of people did not even get off the ship at all.

Cannot fault the crew or the food etc on the ships it is just that it is not the holiday for us.

No doubt this post will not be pleasing to those who like cruising...but we are all different so enjoy it those who do and for those who don't there are other holidays around which for us will be more enjoyable.

We are all different.

I think that golf is one of the dumbest things every invented. :D But many people like to golf.

I like cruising, but port days are only OK. Not enough time to really see a place. For that I would rather go and spend a week and see the place.

I travel internationally for work and for fun. I travel domestically mainly for fun. I take cruises. I take land vacations. I travel to beach areas. I travel to big cities.

Do what makes YOU happy.

And yes, I find that people who are easily bored, tend to be boring. :D

Well here is one/two people who will not be cruising again. Was our second cruise so we have tried it more than once lol.

We are not into bingo..yuk...not into lying around pool getting tanned or swimming...playing board games..how many can you play to fill in time....reading books...for a limited time. Admittedly our last cruise was 5 days at sea...too long. ... ...

If you don't like pool lounging, playing board games, reading and evidently not joining the optional activities, why on earth did you choose an itinerary with 5 sea days?

Boring??!! I find it impossible to be bored on a cruise - to the contrary I feel too busy! If anything there is too much to do! I don't know what ship they cruised on but it wasn't one that I've cruised on! I actually craved a little bit of boredom to relax!

For someone who didn’t enjoy cruising, how come you spent time searching for such an old thread to reopen and post? It wasn’t for you, just move on and do something else. We’re not all the same. I have relatives and friends who I know wouldn’t enjoy being ‘stuck on a ship’ and I wouldn’t try and encourage them.

For someone who didn’t enjoy cruising, how come you spent time searching for such an old thread to reopen and post? It wasn’t for you, just move on and do something else. We’re not all the same. I have relatives and friends who I know wouldn’t enjoy being ‘stuck on a ship’ and I wouldn’t try and encourage them.

Good catch - it took them two cruises to discover they didn't like it: fair enough. But then to come on a chat room devoted to cruising and resurrect a thread that had been idle for more than half a year: perhaps they hope to get their mind changed.