LIVE -To and From the Amazon - 11/17-12/12/2017

Travelcat2

Just a FYI. I am friends with Franc and he stated he is joining the Mariner when it arrives in Miami. Not sure how long he will be onboard.

And can you say hello to Olga for us. We took her to dinner in Compass Rose a few years ago. I am assuming it is the same Olga.

Eileen and Bob Kettrick

Will definitely say hello to Olga from the two of you!

Word on board is that Nikki is coming onboard in Miami and Franck will be onboard a bit later - prior to dry dock and he will work through dry dock. I have learned not to believe everything I hear on the ship..... I guess either one or both of them could show up. Onboard already is Donald - replacing Csaba as F&B Director and the Captain replacing Serena is also here. So many people departing in Miami. I'm really happy for them as they will be able to home for the holidays.

Finally a Caribbean island that I like -- St. Kitts (and we were not scheduled to go there - it is a replacement for Puerto Rico. So much cleaner in the port area than Antigua, Barbados and Grenada. Souvenirs are not overpriced as they are on the other islands and the food is fabulous.

After cancelling tours for the last two port stops, we decided to go ahead with the one today - only 3 1/2 hours and includes a tour of a gorgeous estate overlooking the ocean and lunch. We watched the chef prepare our meal which consisted of Jerk Pork (made with pork loin), West Indian steamed fish (grouper) red beans and rice, vegetable Escovitch and Coconut Butter Bread Pudding. There were 19 of us and the chef prepared everything (except the bread pudding - she made a bread pudding but served us one made yesterday). Really lovely excursion. May share a couple of photos.

People here are so nice. I'm giving a "pass" to the people in Antigua since they are dealing with the people that are staying on Antigua while Barbuda is rebuilt -- there is little left of the island. People were grumpy and rude, prices in stores were outrageous - we were happy to get out of there.

At 3:00 op.m. (1 hour from now), we head to Miami and will arrive Tuesday morning!

We watched the chef prepare our meal which consisted of Jerk Pork (made with pork loin), West Indian steamed fish (grouper) red beans and rice, vegetable Escovitch and Coconut Butter Bread Pudding. There were 19 of us and the chef prepared everything (except the bread pudding - she made a bread pudding but served us one made yesterday). Really lovely excursion. May share a couple of photos.

This was so descriptive that it painted a delicious mental image. If you share a couple photos of your excursion, I hope that you have one or two of that meal!

I would like to state - for the record so to speak - that it was not I who brought up the boarding issue. My post #333 quotes a post from Jackie when she brought it up when discussing embarkation for the cruise...

I would like to thank Jackie for the very informative posts AND the lovely photos of not only food but scenery and events on the Amazon cruise. Very well done and very interesting... merci beaucoup, Jackie!

Thanks for all your reporting on the cruise and Amazon.

On your excursion could you please give us a picture or explain what vegetable Escovitch is?

Thanks again.

I will post a photo later (when less people are on the internet). The recipe is a bit strange but the end result was delicious. Here is the recipe that they gave us:

2 cups of cooked vegetables of your choice (cut in "jillions" -- no cub what jillions is but you will see in the photo

Few suggestions for vegetables - green banana / pumpkin / breadfruit / christophene (chayote)

1 oz. olive oil/1 oz. vegetable oil

1 onion sliced

1/2 each green and red pepper (sliced)

1 clove garlic

Zet and juice of two lime

1/2 cup of white wine

1/2 cucumber diced/sliced

Salt, pepper, thyme and pepper flakes to taste

Method

Saute onions, pepper, garlic, and thyme until lightly brown.

Add lemon juice, cucumbers, wine and pepper flakes

Season to taste

Add vegetables and mix together

The flavors of the dishes were amazing. My husband reacts to bell peppers but whatever they grow on St. Kitts - even though they look like bell peppers, were delicious and did to affect him.

Today on the Mariner I am packing (a day early). We will have a seafood buffet (will take photos) which means that I can eat sushi, sushi and more sushi for lunch. My drink of choice on this cruise for lunch is a Long Island Iced Tea with top shelf alcohols (only one:-). I still fall back to my Mexican Butterfly but have not had my "old" favorite - a chocolate martini. For dinner I stick to wine (with some type of champagne drink before dinner in the lounge).

Before I go, I can't resist posting the recipe for West Indian Steamed Fish as it was the most popular dish at lunch.

Serving for 6 persons

3 fish fillets of your choice (they used grouper)

1/2 cup fresh diced tomatoes

1/2 cup diced green bell peppers

1/2 cup chopped onions

1/2 clove garlic

Tomato paste (optional) - it doesn't say how much but it was just a small amount

1 sprig thyme

1 sprig parsley

1/4 cup grated carrot

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 tablespoon lime juice

1 cup water or stock

1 tablespoon water or stock

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

METHOD

In a hot pan add olive oil/vegetable oil. Lightly sauce onions, garlic and green bell peppers until golden brown. Add grated carrots, water and lime juice. Bring to a boil ad let simmer. Submerge fish filet in pot and reduce the liquid by half to intensify flavor. This should take 6-7 minutes. Add butter to finish.

If anyone is interested in the Jerk Pork Loin recipe (to die for), let me know.

Like you husband, I too react to bell peppers, but not as badly as my daughter who can't even handle one as that brings her up in violent welts, but those recipes would work without the peppers and if it needed another vegetable I would add some diced courgettes [zucchini]

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post about your cruise. I have really appreciated being along for the ride.

Thank you very much, Travelcat2, for the time and great care you’ve taken to share your wonderful adventures in the Amazon! Your description of your experience, the pictures and recipes have been a treat to read. You’ve provided all of us with a vicarious enjoyment of your trip!

So glad that some of you enjoyed reading this sometimes rambling blog. I will do a review of the cruise when I get home. While I've posted a to already, I'd like to address the food, condition of the ship, some of the ports and other observations.

Today is packing day. It's raining so it is a perfect day for it. We are really looking forward to some cold weather - where we can sit with kitties on our laps to keep us warm.

May post a couple of photos of the fish buffet (no sushi but plenty of food). Last night at Crew Kapers (may be the best that we have seen) the theater was 100% full - even the officers were amazed by the crowd. Dinner in CR was over the top -- caviar, Beef Wellington, etc. However, after eating for over 20 days we were happy with lobster and rice.

Ah, the end of a nice cruise - a bittersweet moment always. The experience is coming to an end, but the memories are just being born. Glad you had a good time. Your posts made me want to jump back on a Regent ship and just go, well, anywhere. Thanks for taking the time to post updates and pics - always enjoyable for the rest of us!