Alaskan Cruise on Mariner

Tridhos

I have been a river cruiser until this point but in June 2019 I intend doing an Alaskan Cruise on the Mariner probably a CONCIERGE SUITE although apart from the price I don't quite understand the difference between D and E for this category. I picked Regent Cruises for its all inclusivity which is the product I picked for my river cruises. However I am surprised that the room mini bar is only soft drinks and beer whereas on my river cruises that there was always a small bottle of white and red win in the cabin mini bar.

Can anyone recommend a quiet deck and cabin, Also as the ship is going from Vancouver to Seward is possible to request a cabin on the landward side rather that the other side when booking?

Hello. We did this cruise in May this year. You can ask your cabin steward for any spirit you want in your cabin and I think you can ask for wines and champagne when you want them. The whole ship is all inclusive, so there shouldn't be a problem with any request.

This was our first Regent cruise and was done like you for the all inclusive aspect. We were in a basic balcony cabin which was adequate for our needs.

We have done other cruise lines, but no river cruises. We wouldn't choose to cruise with Regent again, as it wasn't quite our cup of tea!. I did write a review.

Thanks for your reply, I have been reading through some of the reviews and of course quite a mixed bunch. I gather the ship is going for a refit in 2018 so maybe that will address some concerns. Why wasn't it your cup of tea or perhaps you have a link to your review?

Hi again. Not sure how to share a link, but have found my review on Page 3 of Mariner reviews entitled Not 6 star.

We found that most of the passengers have only cruised with this cruise line and have earned many points which give them perks. There wasn't very much atmosphere in the bars and they weren't very busy. I got the impression most passengers stayed in their cabins and drank in there.

We were disappointed with the service in Compass Rose and the quality of wine on offer in the restaurants.

Don't get me wrong, we are not cruise snobs, we have cruised with Thomson, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and generally choose a cruise for the itinerary, but just found Regent a bit too stuffy.

Thanks I found several more critical reviews along with yours so I am now rethinking the whole thing. I have done river cruises until now all with the same company Scenic where you pay a little extra like Regent but the fives times I have been with Scenic I have to say have been fantastic and I would go back and do them all again.

Please don't be put off doing an Alaskan cruise. It is an amazing destination to visit. There are other cruise lines who go there. Who knows after the refit next year things may be different. Also your taste may be different to ours. Everybody is different and what suits you may not suit me. We combined our cruise with the Rockie Mountaineer which was an amazing experience. It is not a cheap holiday and you have to do your research. There are sometimes some seminars from cruise agents where you can see a presentation and ask questions.

I am still determined on an Alaskan cruise and in fact I will also be doing the Rocky Mountaineer prior to the cruise although I cannot book that for a few months. Did you book the train journey through Regent? Now I am, looking at Holland America and Norwegian.

Our first cruise with Regent was to Alaska and I felt it was well worth the price. When you compare the ports of call for a smaller ship with the large ships, you should see a difference. I recommend starting in Seward and heading south, the best viewing will be at the beginning of the cruise.

As for the in suite mini bar - not being in a concierge suite - I called Regents about 2-3 months before our last cruise and gave them a list of what we wanted in our mini bar. To include the brands of beer, soda, and two bottles of spirits we wanted. (Someplace in the forum someone has provided bar menus so you can see the available spirits and beer). This all arrived the first evening while we were at dinner.

We have also done a Scenic river cruise and our experiences with Regent is superior to Scenic. And Scenic was great.

I am still determined on an Alaskan cruise and in fact I will also be doing the Rocky Mountaineer prior to the cruise although I cannot book that for a few months. Did you book the train journey through Regent? Now I am, looking at Holland America and Norwegian.

We will be on the Mariner in May 2019 from Tokyo to Vancouver. It will be our 13th Regent cruise and 4th on the Mariner. Also, we have cruised on Celebrity from Seward to Vancouver and we have traveled extensively by land in Alaska - including the train from Anchorage to Denali. Here are some of our opinions and observations.

Alaska is a marvelous place! Weather during a short visit is totally unpredictable. The most important selection criteria (after your budget) should be the itinerary and what you want (must) see. As someone above posted, this requires a bit of research. I and others on Cruise Critic would be happy to respond to specific questions. For me, Denali is a "must" and the train is a nice option (to driving on the other side of the road).

We found the Celebrity ship much to large (about 2000 passengers) for a port-intensive 7 day cruise in Alaska. I'd look at much smaller ships; you want to get close as possible to the glaciers and also get on/off the ship easily. Where cruise ships go are popular tourist destinations for children and their parents from June through August - there will be a lot of young cruisers even on Regent no Alaskan cruise will be "stuffy".

Mariner in June 2019 will have been totally refurbished (due in Spring 2018). She handles rough waters very well. I don't see any advantage for a Concierge level cabin ( based upon U.S. pricing); the H,G,F,E, and D are all the same size. We try for mid-ship G cabins with shower (NO tub for us). The Mariner would be a terrific respite after a hectic day touring ashore. Yes, the cabin attendant will stock the cabin with wine and liquor as well as beer and soft drinks.

I'd book a pre-cruise tip to Denali through the ship you choose. It allows you to meet fellow cruisers early and assures that given any mishaps that you won't miss the ship's departure. I reviewed the Mariner's pre-cruise to Denali - pricey but a spot-on terrific itinerary for a short visit.

Enjoy my favorite part of the world.

Jim C.

The real advantage to concierge level for new cruisers to Regent is that you get to book your shore excursions the same time as people who have status. That can make a difference if there are excursions you want that have limited availability.

I can't comment on Mariner or Regent in Alaska as i haven't been on Mariner or gone to Alaska with Regent. I have been on Regent 3 times in other parts of the world and really enjoy cruising with them. I have never found it to be stuffy.

We just completed our third Alaska cruise with Regent and I would not hesitate to recommend Regent. However, Alaska sailings can be a bit different than sailings to other parts of the world. In my opinion, the best time to sail to Alaska is May - at the beginning of the season. From June - mid August the ship has a lot of families with children which is fine if you want to sail with children. During those times, the majority of guests on Regent are new to the cruise line.

We have not found Regent to be stuffy at all and the "benefits" afforded long time passengers are not visible to other passengers.

When you price out other cruise lines, be sure to take into consideration the cost of excursions (and while there are "included" excursions, Regent also has "Regent Choice" excursions that have a price associated with them), airfare, transfers to the ship, tipping and other items that are included on Regent.

Just thought of another reason to choose a concierge suite -- the overnight stay at a hotel that is included for passengers in concierge suites and above.

Hope that whatever cruise line you choose, you had a great time in Alaska!

We will be on the Mariner in May 2019 from Tokyo to Vancouver. It will be our 13th Regent cruise and 4th on the Mariner. Also, we have cruised on Celebrity from Seward to Vancouver and we have traveled extensively by land in Alaska - including the train from Anchorage to Denali. Here are some of our opinions and observations.

Alaska is a marvelous place! Weather during a short visit is totally unpredictable. The most important selection criteria (after your budget) should be the itinerary and what you want (must) see. As someone above posted, this requires a bit of research. I and others on Cruise Critic would be happy to respond to specific questions. For me, Denali is a "must" and the train is a nice option (to driving on the other side of the road).

We found the Celebrity ship much to large (about 2000 passengers) for a port-intensive 7 day cruise in Alaska. I'd look at much smaller ships; you want to get close as possible to the glaciers and also get on/off the ship easily. Where cruise ships go are popular tourist destinations for children and their parents from June through August - there will be a lot of young cruisers even on Regent no Alaskan cruise will be "stuffy".

Mariner in June 2019 will have been totally refurbished (due in Spring 2018). She handles rough waters very well. I don't see any advantage for a Concierge level cabin ( based upon U.S. pricing); the H,G,F,E, and D are all the same size. We try for mid-ship G cabins with shower (NO tub for us). The Mariner would be a terrific respite after a hectic day touring ashore. Yes, the cabin attendant will stock the cabin with wine and liquor as well as beer and soft drinks.

I'd book a pre-cruise tip to Denali through the ship you choose. It allows you to meet fellow cruisers early and assures that given any mishaps that you won't miss the ship's departure. I reviewed the Mariner's pre-cruise to Denali - pricey but a spot-on terrific itinerary for a short visit.

Enjoy my favorite part of the world.

Jim C.

Our intnded tour starts off in Canada as we are flying into Calgary and then spending a few days in Banff before heading for Vancouver on the Rocky Mountaineer. We intended spending a couple of days prior to the cruise in Vancouver and Victoria. After the cruise we thought we would go from Seward to Anchorage on that train journey which I have been told is well worth it and similar to the Rocky Mountaineer scenically.

Thanks for the info about the cabins so long as the cabin has a decent shower that will suffice as I have yet to use the bath on a cruise preferring the shower every time. Even on my Scenic river cruises I was paying for a suite with a bath and found that we never used it and that the shower was a lot more convenient.

I had almost decided on the Regent Mariner but then read several very negative reviews about the food and the state of some of the cabins. However as you say with a refit in 2018 that should change, our intended dates are 2019.

Thanks for your suggestions I will take a look at Denali and see if we can add a few days there before heading back to Vancouver where we will depart from.

We just completed our third Alaska cruise with Regent and I would not hesitate to recommend Regent. However, Alaska sailings can be a bit different than sailings to other parts of the world. In my opinion, the best time to sail to Alaska is May - at the beginning of the season. From June - mid August the ship has a lot of families with children which is fine if you want to sail with children. During those times, the majority of guests on Regent are new to the cruise line.

We have not found Regent to be stuffy at all and the "benefits" afforded long time passengers are not visible to other passengers.

When you price out other cruise lines, be sure to take into consideration the cost of excursions (and while there are "included" excursions, Regent also has "Regent Choice" excursions that have a price associated with them), airfare, transfers to the ship, tipping and other items that are included on Regent.

Just thought of another reason to choose a concierge suite -- the overnight stay at a hotel that is included for passengers in concierge suites and above.

Hope that whatever cruise line you choose, you had a great time in Alaska!

That was the clincher for me choosing Regent was the inclusivity of everything which is what I get on the river cruises with Scenic. Its nice knowing there are no bills at the end and everything is paid for up front.

I suppose like many the reason to go to Alaska is the wildlife so is May going to be a good month in that respect with bears whales etc.However thanks for your reassurances on Regent.

I had almost decided on the Regent Mariner but then read several very negative reviews about the food and the state of some of the cabins.

Hi - just want to add that it may be helpful if you pay attention to the cruising history of posters on the Regent board. I am one of the posters that complained about the food (but not the state of the suites). My "complaints" are based on spending over a year on Regent ships and finding one cruise less than perfect. Someone new to Regent would likely not be as critical as I was. For instance, the lobster, Filet Mignon, Beef Wellington, fish, etc. in Compass Rose was perfect but the side dishes (fries, mashed potatoes) were not warm enough. Once we mentioned that to our server, it was corrected. The food in the two specialty restaurants was perfect. We did have an issue with the buffet restaurant, La Veranda. However, I am confident that when we return to the Mariner next month for a 25 night cruise, all issues will be corrected. That is how Regent is....... it is not perfect but will correct problems immediately (when they are nicely told about them).

Hi - just want to add that it may be helpful if you pay attention to the cruising history of posters on the Regent board. I am one of the posters that complained about the food (but not the state of the suites). My "complaints" are based on spending over a year on Regent ships and finding one cruise less than perfect. Someone new to Regent would likely not be as critical as I was. For instance, the lobster, Filet Mignon, Beef Wellington, fish, etc. in Compass Rose was perfect but the side dishes (fries, mashed potatoes) were not warm enough. Once we mentioned that to our server, it was corrected. The food in the two specialty restaurants was perfect. We did have an issue with the buffet restaurant, La Veranda. However, I am confident that when we return to the Mariner next month for a 25 night cruise, all issues will be corrected. That is how Regent is....... it is not perfect but will correct problems immediately (when they are nicely told about them).

I look forward to your comments on your upcoming cruise, hope you have a wondedrful time.

I look forward to your comments on your upcoming cruise, hope you have a wondedrful time.

Thanks - we are really looking forward to being on the Mariner again (but I'm not as excited to be in the heat of the Amazon). It should be interesting!:halo:

Alaska is magic! We did our first Alaska Cruise on the Norwegian Sun. It was OK, but it seemed as though we were being handed a check to sign every 5 minutes. When we took our first Alaska Cruise on Regent, the difference was like night and day. Personally, I like the intimacy of the smaller ship and it felt as though we were more "up close and personal" than on the larger ships. If your Cruise includes Tracy Arm, the excursion into the Sawyer Glaciers is a must! We are headed to Alaska again in May 2018. It will be a Regent Alaska Cruise #5 and probably won't be out last!

Alaska is magic! We did our first Alaska Cruise on the Norwegian Sun. It was OK, but it seemed as though we were being handed a check to sign every 5 minutes. When we took our first Alaska Cruise on Regent, the difference was like night and day. Personally, I like the intimacy of the smaller ship and it felt as though we were more "up close and personal" than on the larger ships. If your Cruise includes Tracy Arm, the excursion into the Sawyer Glaciers is a must! We are headed to Alaska again in May 2018. It will be a Regent Alaska Cruise #5 and probably won't be out last!

Thanks for the positive feedback as a river cruiser I am used to a very small ship and looking at some of those giants is very off putting so I think in view of the fact that by the time I go it will have gone through a major refit is another reason to go with Regent. I hope you will post your latest experiences with Regent, have a wonderful time on your next cruise.

Travelcat2,

I have truly enjoyed reading your postings! In this and other threads you strive to be accurate about Regent while being compassionate to people who have had issues that others may not have had.

The more of your responses in threads that I read the more I respect you!

God bless and well done!

Tridhos,

We have sailed on Scenic and Regent including an Alaska cruise. Our experience has been that generally the passengers on both are well travelled, friendly and not "stuffy" at all. On our last Scenic cruise it was around 75% Australian, so as you can imagine it was a laugh a minute, this will be different on Regent. We are now sailing on one Regent and one Scenic trip a year. I would recommend you go with the Concierge or higher so you can book your excursions as soon as possible. I just posted a mini review on our Venice to Athens cruise and it was not perfect (what is?), but if you enjoy travel, want just about everything included and enjoy similar minded travelers then you will enjoy Regent. As you have seen on these boards, you make lifetime friends on these cruises, and it is also terrific to see some of the same crew on every cruise. Alaska was one of our favorite trips and would not hesitate to recommend it on Regent. Before TC says it, I recommend that you use a travel agent that regularly books Regent and offers incentives.

It’s good to read reviews and take them into consideration when choosing a cruise, and cruise line. A pinch of salt is also a good idea.

You are an avid Scenic cruiser. But if you read the reviews on CC you will see some scathing reviews. I read many of those reviews while planning our 2015 Danube cruise on Scenic Opal. I am so glad I disregarded those negative reviews.

Our all inclusive experience led to booking an Alaska cruise in June this year. Unfortunately DW slipped and fell getting onto the plane to Fairbanks and broke her leg(she likes me to add “in several places”). She’s mostly healed and now we have booked our new first cruise to Alaska for May 2018.

You need to make the decision you feel is best for you but bear in mind that most reviews of Regent are positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suppose like many the reason to go to Alaska is the wildlife so is May going to be a good month in that respect with bears whales etc.However thanks for your reassurances on Regent.

We have cruised to Alaska 6 times now, the latest was last month. This was the third time in late August and September, our favorite time for Alaska. The other three cruises were in May, June and July.

Since you mention wildlife...bears and whales, I would suggest you look at late Aug to Sept. The berries are ripe and the salmon are running which is great to see, but it also attracts lots of bears. You stand a very good chance of seeing bears and eagles along the water's edge where the salmon are running feeding on them. You will also see the bears in the open areas feeding on the ripe berries...the bears are fatting up for winter. Also we have had great whale viewing right on the ship during these months. Plus most US schools are back in session by late August so less or no children on the ship and a few less ships at the ports.

You will have less children in May and a few fewer ships also, but some of the Glacier viewing may be affected by the seal pups on the ice flows. It is usually July before the pups have their waterproof fur coats, so close up glacier viewing where they are will be closed as not to endanger the pups. Tracy Arm may also be blocked by ice until later in the summer. If you are eager to see the Glaciers, be sure to do your research on when the Glaciers on your cruise usually open as not to be disappointed.

We have also done two RV trips to Alaska in Aug and Sept. Just remember much of Alaska cruising is done in the temperate part or the state and can be wet especially during the summer months so go prepared to get out in the rain. Most tours run rain or shine. The exception are the flight seeing tours which will not run in the rain of fog.

Alaska is one of our favorite cruises! Enjoy!

Edited by cwn

It’s good to read reviews and take them into consideration when choosing a cruise, and cruise line. A pinch of salt is also a good idea.

You are an avid Scenic cruiser. But if you read the reviews on CC you will see some scathing reviews. I read many of those reviews while planning our 2015 Danube cruise on Scenic Opal. I am so glad I disregarded those negative reviews.

Our all inclusive experience led to booking an Alaska cruise in June this year. Unfortunately DW slipped and fell getting onto the plane to Fairbanks and broke her leg(she likes me to add “in several places”). She’s mostly healed and now we have booked our new first cruise to Alaska for May 2018.

You need to make the decision you feel is best for you but bear in mind that most reviews of Regent are positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with you about the reviews I had the same experience when booking Scenic Cruises. I was more concerned at some of the remarks about the cabins but given that the Mariner gets a refit in 2018 that shouldn't be a problem.

I hope DW recovers fully from her accident and you are both able to enjoy a wonderful Alaskan holiday in 2018

Edited by Tridhos
Remove signature

We have cruised to Alaska 6 times now, the latest was last month. This was the third time in late August and September, our favorite time for Alaska. The other three cruises were in May, June and July.

Since you mention wildlife...bears and whales, I would suggest you look at late Aug to Sept. The berries are ripe and the salmon are running which is great to see, but it also attracts lots of bears. You stand a very good chance of seeing bears and eagles along the water's edge where the salmon are running feeding on them. You will also see the bears in the open areas feeding on the ripe berries...the bears are fatting up for winter. Also we have had great whale viewing right on the ship during these months. Plus most US schools are back in session by late August so less or no children on the ship and a few less ships at the ports.

You will have less children in May and a few fewer ships also, but some of the Glacier viewing may be affected by the seal pups on the ice flows. It is usually July before the pups have their waterproof fur coats, so close up glacier viewing where they are will be closed as not to endanger the pups. Tracy Arm may also be blocked by ice until later in the summer. If you are eager to see the Glaciers, be sure to do your research on when the Glaciers on your cruise usually open as not to be disappointed.

We have also done two RV trips to Alaska in Aug and Sept. Just remember much of Alaska cruising is done in the temperate part or the state and can be wet especially during the summer months so go prepared to get out in the rain. Most tours run rain or shine. The exception are the flight seeing tours which will not run in the rain of fog.

Alaska is one of our favorite cruises! Enjoy!

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions. I am certainly doing Alaska in 2019 and from what I have read thus far it will be with Regent.