Mass Market Refugees - What Can We Expect From Cunard?


Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:02 AM.
#21
near Oxford
1,758 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by BobBranst
Yes, if you sleep that late, there is going to be noise.
But not on Celebrity! I had to check my watch as I was not alerted to the time by the noise level outside. I think we slept until 11am one morning!
#22
Kansas City
521 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Originally posted by fantasy51
But not on Celebrity! I had to check my watch as I was not alerted to the time by the noise level outside. I think we slept until 11am one morning!
With your sensitivity to noise, it sounds like Celebrity is a better fit for you than Cunard. We are usually up and running by 7:00am, so outside noise has never been even a slight problem for us.
#23
near Oxford
1,758 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by BobBranst
With your sensitivity to noise, it sounds like Celebrity is a better fit for you than Cunard. We are usually up and running by 7:00am, so outside noise has never been even a slight problem for us.
Thanks Bob. I'm not actually complaining, I am simply wondering and answering your observations. I will stick with Cunard. I take a sleeping tablet each night to get me through.

I thought that fittings and fixtures would be relatively similar from one ship to another, and I wonder what it is about the doors, seals, etc. that work well on one ship and less well on another. I know I was on one ship where the ship's carpenter thought the door seal needed replacing. Is it as simple as that? Do they need better quality seals around the doors? I don't think it's a sign of the age of the ships, because I've been travelling Cunard for some time.

Having said all that, Cunard is still miles quieter than the one MSC voyage I was talked into taking! The stewards didn't ever learn not to knock on my door at 8am. If I put out a sign, they claimed that the kids had turned it over or removed it. The one time I decided to ignore the knock and the open door and not force my eyes open, the male steward returned 5 minutes later with a female steward. Perhaps he wanted to check if I was still alive.
#24
Ottawa
220 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
We were in Cunard Queen Mary 2 last fall. We danced every night after dinner/show till 11:00 pm. People are requested to dress up in the dining room and Queen’s room.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
#25
New York City
163 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Just got off Anthem of the Seas today-Been with Cunard since 1971-occasionally Holland America; others before the collapse of the T/A market-But this was my first experience of a 7 day mass market - 5000 passenger- cruise. Cunard forgive me - I’m sorry, I am back. OMG the RCL experience was in many many ways surreal, really, really surreal. Enough said. And US Immigration did not help in Bayonne-they had 3 and then 5 desks open for 5000 pax!!!!!!
#26
Vale of Glamorgan
4,380 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Welcome back !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
#27
66 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by canoncruiser
Just got off Anthem of the Seas today-Been with Cunard since 1971-occasionally Holland America; others before the collapse of the T/A market-But this was my first experience of a 7 day mass market - 5000 passenger- cruise. Cunard forgive me - I’m sorry, I am back. OMG the RCL experience was in many many ways surreal, really, really surreal. Enough said. And US Immigration did not help in Bayonne-they had 3 and then 5 desks open for 5000 pax!!!!!!
You went from one of the best in Cunard to the absolute worst in RCL.

Welcome back to sanity

As for the OP

You are in for a civilized treat

Formal nights that are the real thing

Jackets for men on all nights.

Those few that wish to not follow the rules get to eat in the cafeteria
#28
3,034 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Oh my, I am myself consider me as a Celebrity, RCI refugee- very aptly described- and for the exactly same reasons. Not even my Elite Plus bonuses at X can get me back- oh my were to begin- you have propper prommenade deck- always enough deck space, enough lounge chairs. You can walk around the ship on said beautyfull prommenade deck. No loud music. Lot´s of live music to choose from. Every single of my now 6 Cunard voyages ( never say cruise when on board a Cunard vessel) were a refined, elegant and sophistacted experience! I am sure the OP will enjoy the Cunard experience. Not for everyone- but for me- wonderful!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature