Martin and Jan's Journey on the QM2

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:28 AM.
upstate New York
330 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Thanks for taking time to write about your world cruise. Since it’s likely I will never be fortunate enough to sail a world cruise myself, I am happy to vicariously join you and look forward to your posts

Sent from my iPad using Forums
South Lancashire
211 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I’m really enjoying reading the blog, thank you for writing it and taking us along for the ride!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Black Watch 29 August 2009, 8 nights in the fjords- with mum

Oceana 30 April 2011, 7 nights in the fjords- with mum

Black Watch 7 August 2012, 13 nights up to the North Cape- with mum and eldest son

Queen Elizabeth 19 May 2013, 7 nights to the fjords again - with mum (there's a theme going on here, can you tell I love Norway?!)

Adventure of the Seas 26 Oct 2014, Spain & France with mum, husband and & youngest son

Ventura 2 April 2017 Spain, Portugal & France with mum & eldest son

Britannia to Norway, just with husband 12 August 2018

Oceana around the Med April 2019, hubby’s 50th!

37 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
OK, does anyone but me get worried when there hasn’t been an update for a few days and know the QM2 is in a really amazing spot? OK, just me, then... I am loving this blog.
Johannesburg, South Africa
23 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Have to agree! Martin has certainly under-anticipated the interest in his travel diary. No doubt just taking a break and we will hear from him shortly particularly with the Suez Canal coming up.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QV 2012 - Southampton to Hamburg
QE 2014 - Rome to Rome
QV 2016 - Cape Town to Southampton
United Kingdom
6 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Hi - I just wanted to say thank you very much for your interesting and very informative blog. I think you will be leaving the ship in Southampton just as we will be boarding for our TA round trip in just under two weeks' time. We are really excited now and are better informed about what to expect from reading about your experiences and looking at your photos.

Thanks again - Jo
New York City
176 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Gosh! The memories of my WC on QE flood back-I’m saving my few pennies for a part of one - unless I hit the Lottery then I can take a whole one again! I’ll be on QM2 later this year and the fine pictures in this blog heighten my anticipation. Thanks to you both for sharing your wonderful time and observations.
105 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
I have read your post on missing ports on the world cruise.

We were on last years world cruise from Sydney to Shanghai a 21 day segment.

We missed three ports. The first one was Cairns we were supposed to anchor and tender. We did anchor Immigration officials boarded the ship and processed our passports we did not tender. No explanation was given.

We were supposed to go to BruneiThe stop was cancelled they had not dredged the harbour!!!!.

The next port that was cancelled was Taiwan. We had an extra day at sea on the way to Hong Kong.

As you have pointed out this is very poor planning by Cunard.

There were only 200 people doing the full world cruise

It was very much a segmental trip with a large number of passengers constantly getting on and off.

Food in the Brittanica dining room was poor with poor selection.

The entertainment was poor with the exception of the special lecturers. The cruise director was seldom seen.

I am not surprised that a number of people wanted to leave the ship

Very poor organisation by Cunard.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SYDNEYCRUISER
Worcester, MA
36 Posts
Joined May 2005
I have absolutely loved this wonderful blog! Thanks for posting it, Martin. We are hoping for a QM2 2021 World Cruise, and I have loved traveling vicariously with you and Jan. Your style of touring the ports seems very much like what we will do, partly out of necessity, as our son uses a wheelchair and may not be able to do many excursions (or tenders). Still, your walk around, find some coffee and Internet, do some exploring, grab a bite to eat and a refreshing beverage routine sounds just lovely. I hope you've enjoyed your adventure!
Batehaven, Australia
11,843 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Great blog, have commented on it. Thank you and safe return to merry olde England.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Baltics, Scandinavia, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last trifecta of cruises:
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

**Next Cruise:
Noordam - 21 April 2019, South Pacific Crossing - Sydney-Honolulu - 14 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Vancouver, BC
835 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Many thanks, Martin, for taking the time to create such an interesting blog. We are very interested for a couple of reasons. First, we have sailed on six different lines but never Cunard. We will be doing a crossing later this year so have been paying close attention all comments about the ship. Second, we enjoy your take on the ports we have been to and perhaps even more, your take on ports we have not yet visited. Much appreciated, thanks again.
Vale of Glamorgan
4,753 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Welcome home tomorrow Martin and Jan and thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Vale of Glamorgan
4,753 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Loved your final thoughts, thank you for posting.
I'm sure you mentioned it but how many full world cruisers were on board ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
65 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
I will in all probability never go on a world cruise but thank you Martin and Jan for allowing me to follow yours. I have loved reading the blog and I love your zest for doing things off piest. Welcome home.

@HostHattie forgive me for answering for someone else but quoted in the blog "300 or so full world cruisers"