Photos: Dogs onboard Queen Mary 2 on her Transatlantic Crossing

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:24 PM.
Hamburg
369 Posts
Joined May 2013
Originally posted by Lilydes
The Lido is not on the QM2.
You are saying people are wandering around the ship with dogs without the crew saying anything?
I mean the buffet.
We spoke to the waiters who just told us, that they can't do anything.
Just google "emotional support animal"
Hawaii
334 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
There are 3 different issues getting mixed up, here. Responsible owners who want their dogs transported across the Atlantic, pay a ( I think, very large ) fare for them to travel in the kennels. I am sure those dogs DO NOT leave the kennels. The owners go up there to visit them, and walk them in the special area.

Then there are the so-called C O M F O R T D O G S with their Wal*Mart purchased "vests" who stay in the cabin with the owner, and go everywhere, and pee at will.

Then there are the genuine service dogs who are extensively trained for their duties and are WELL BEHAVED and never soil in the wrong places, and are not barking at all, and they are with the owners at all times.
Calgary
50 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Yes, the offending owner & dog we saw undoubtedly fell into category 2, (albeit the dog vest was more likely from Saks Fifth Avenue !).
Northvale,New Jersey
937 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by hihilo
There are 3 different issues getting mixed up, here. Responsible owners who want their dogs transported across the Atlantic, pay a ( I think, very large ) fare for them to travel in the kennels. I am sure those dogs DO NOT leave the kennels. The owners go up there to visit them, and walk them in the special area.

Then there are the so-called C O M F O R T D O G S with their Wal*Mart purchased "vests" who stay in the cabin with the owner, and go everywhere, and pee at will.

Then there are the genuine service dogs who are extensively trained for their duties and are WELL BEHAVED and never soil in the wrong places, and are not barking at all, and they are with the owners at all times.
When I was last aboard the QM2 in October of 2016 there was one handicapped passenger who had his service dog which was a Golden Retriever with him all over the ship. This same passenger even brought the Golden Retriever into the G32 Club. All the passengers in the G32 Club including myself were happy to see the dog in the G32 Club. The handicapped passenger even danced with his dog in the G32 Club. Regards,Jerry
On Cruise ships and in Australia & New Zealand
8,091 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
On our second to last sea day before we got to New York, there was a dog parade,

so the dogs and there owners could get there photos taken and have a walk (run!) on the top deck!

The weather this day was not the best (very windy and tried to rain!).

These are just a selection of photos there are lots more on my Flickr page

You can see the rest of these photos on my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kiwi_c...57692562032051
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Next Cruises:

Past Cruises:
16 more cruises +
Queen Elizabeth - 8 Feb 2015
Pacific Pearl - 8 May 2015
Emerald Princess - 19 Sept 2015
Emerald Princess - 26 Sept 2015
Emerald Princess - 17th Oct 2015
Carnival Glory - 25 Oct 2015
Coral Princess - 7 Oct 2015
Pacific Aria - 17 Dec 2015
Queen Mary 2 - 11 March 2016
Sun Princess - 19 April 2016
Queen Victoria - 17 Sept 2016
Emerald Princess - 28 Sept 2016
Pacific Pearl - 30 Jan 2017
P&O UK: Aurora - 12 March 2017
P&O UK: Aurora - 22 March 2017
P&O UK: Aurora - 29 April 2017
Queen Victoria - 8th July 2017
Queen Mary 2 - 4th Aug 2017.
Grand Princess - 15th Sept 2017
Maasdam - 27th Sept 2017
Pacific Aria - 14th Nov 2017.
Sun Princess - 22nd Dec 2017.
Pacific Dawn - 8 April 2018.

My Photos & Video: My Flickr Account | My Youtube channel.
Pennsylvania
6,315 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Lilydes
You cannot just buy a vest and rock up to a ship with your "service dog". You need a lot of paperwork: https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/b...l/PO_CU_assdog
ask.cunard pages are no longer accessible from the US.

Add me to the list of people who have seen a "service animal" or "emotional support animal" in the QM2 passenger areas, including an itinerary where dogs weren't transported in the kennels.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
68 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by Underwatr
ask.cunard pages are no longer accessible from the US.

Add me to the list of people who have seen a "service animal" or "emotional support animal" in the QM2 passenger areas, including an itinerary where dogs weren't transported in the kennels.

Cunard accepts registered assistance dogs on board that have been specifically trained to assist a person with a disability and has been certified by an organisation that is a full member of Assistance Dogs International (ADI) or International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF), the accrediting bodies for assistance dog organisations worldwide.

Emotional support dogs are not recognised as an assistance dog by the above organisations and are not permitted on board. All assistance dogs are carried free of charge.

Carriage of an assistance dog is subject to the conditions set by DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)

Cunard Line welcome registered assistance dogs on all their vessels. Cunard Line has a DEFRA licence on Southampton to Southampton cruises and transatlantic crossings on Queen Mary 2.

As the DEFRA requirements are different from other forms of travel, it is essential owners understand the conditions that the dog must travel under.

We would advise all owners to carry their dog's identification card, or similar, with them at all times in case local authorities require proof.
Florida
228 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Lovely! Do the dogs get to keep the vests?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
50 plus cruises: Moore McCormack, Home Lines, Windjammer Barefoot, Carnival, NCL, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Avalon, Azamara
Hawaii
334 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
sppunk--- my experience on QM2 ( 2 14-day T/A crossings ) is that the dogs in the kennel are kept in that area, their owners can visit them, but its not open to friendly and interested passengers, who may want to just ' drop in'. I never saw any of the kennel dogs '' out and about'' for a walk of any sort. Their exercise area is behind a gate.
Muscat/Oman, Abu Dhabi/UAE and Sydney/Australia
1,020 Posts
Joined May 2011
That would actually make a nice souvenir picture book.
"The Dogs of QM 2"
����
8,091 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by jkadventures
Lovely! Do the dogs get to keep the vests?
I am not too sure, I should have asked
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Next Cruises:

Past Cruises:
16 more cruises +
Maasdam - 27th Sept 2017

8,091 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by sppunk
Taking our first crossing in May and I absolutely adore puppies. Any tips when best to watch them roam?
On our crossing I normally went to up the gate of the kennels at about 3pm and there dogs where out playing with there owners or just out playing in the play area.

One tip I have is talk to the dog carers , and then they might tell you about when the dog parade is on.

Good luck and hope you get some photos

PS: Let me know if you get any cats on your crossing! (If there is see if you can get a photo!)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our Next Cruises:

Past Cruises:
16 more cruises +
Maasdam - 27th Sept 2017

South Carolina
514 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Anybody know the charge for kenneling a dog or cat on a TA crossing?? I’m think about purchasing a cat on my next trip and flying back with a young cat is not a great option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Vale of Glamorgan
4,390 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Upper kennel $800*
Lower kennel $1000*
Cats require two upper kennel $1600* (This is two upper kennels, one kennel is for the litter box)
2nd pet in same kennel $800*
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

If contacting me via email, please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !