New Dress Code Designations?

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:18 PM.
UK
4,286 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
For our June cruise this year we also have two Gala Evenings - Black & White Ball and Royal Cunard Ball. The rest are Smart Attire.

As others have said that could be interpreted as smart jeans, smart t-shirt etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE - Canaries & Madeira - October 2017
QV - Amsterdam & Bruges - June 2017
QE - Spain & Portugal - September 2016
QM2 - Hamburg - July 2016
QE - Mediterranean 16 days - August 2015
QV - Lusitania Remembered May 2015 (3 Queens Soton)
QE - Christmas markets - December 2014
QM2 - Transatlantic roundtrip via Halifax - June 2014
QM2 - Fjords - July 2013
QV - Fjords - July 2012 (3 Queens Southampton)
QE - Spring Getaway - May 2012
QE - Maiden Baltic & St Petersburg - May 2011
QV - Norwegian Wonders - July 2010
QV - Spring Getaway - April 2010
QV - Gallic Getaway - October 2009
QM2 - Iberian Odyssey - July 2009
QM2 - Hamburg - August 2008
berkshire
1,240 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Stop Press !!! I had drinks in the Commodore Bar last night ( Q. Vic 26th March) with Angus Struthers , he informs me there is no change in the dress code descriptions. Hopefully, all this sounds like a glitch in the system.
152 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
I just called Cunard and they think the dress policy is changing. My Voyage Personaliser now states Smart Attire for some nights (used to be informal) and Gala Evening for what used to be formal nights.
Will be a couple of weeks until new definition.
I think the changeover will depend on the date of your cruise.
berkshire
1,240 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
All this sounds very odd, here we have a 'senior Cunard executive' saying one thing and an agent over a telephone saying something else.
USA
88 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Not really. If you want to find someone who knows nothing about his company, talk to one of its "Senior Executives". If you really want to know what's going on, talk to the receptionist. There is no way someone just changed these descriptions like that from 17 June onwards without a reason. And "Smart Attire" is a dead giveaway. Oceania calls it "Country Club Casual" which means the YMCA to some.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
Pennsylvania
6,214 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Yeah, those phone agents are usually so reliable...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 8 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
ms Eurodam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
2,310 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by bluemarble
Just wanted to bring this up in case anyone else has any other ideas about what Cunard may be up to with these new "Gala Evening" and "Smart Attire" dress code designations shown in our voyage personaliser itineraries.

John

Sadly it is obvious that the management of Carnival does not care or understand the culture of Cunard and therefore the only option we have is to vote with our feet.

It pains me to say it but there you have it....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2016 World Cruise Blog http://exitviathegiftshop.blogspot.co.nz/?view=magazine
2017 World Cruise Blog http://butarewethereyet.blogspot.co.nz
the more polished general cruise bloghttp://roscoesseafever.blogspot.co.nz
QE2 2002 Tahiti - Auckland
QM2 2004 Southhampton - New York
QE2 2006 New York - Panama - Los Angeles
QV 2008 Singapore - Southampton
QV 2010 Singapore - Southampton
QE 2011 Auckland
Pacific Pearl 2011 South Pacific Cruise
QV 2011 Venice to Rome
QV 2011 Rome to Rome
QE 2012 San Francisco - Sydney
QM2 2013 Auckland - Africa - Southampton
QV 2014 Rio to Sydney
L'Austral 2015 Auckland
QV 2015 Auckland
QV 2016 Southampton - Southampton Full World
QV 2017 Valparaiso to San Francisco
Explorer of the Seas 2018 Sydney to Sydney
QE 2019 Japan to Alaska
QV 2019 San Francisco to Auckland
USA
88 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
This is precisely what Carnival has wrought with Holland America Line over the last eight years. Just read the HAL Board and find out the results of that with their core customers. Indeed, I haven't sailed with HAL in eight years for this very reason.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

FRANCE-RAFFAELLO-LEONARDO DA VINCI-STEFAN BATORY-QUEEN ELIZABETH 2-CANBERRA-UGANDA-GUGLIELMO MARCONI-EUROPA-CENTAUR-VISTAFJORD-BALTIKA-ORIANA-ACHILLE LAURO-OCEANIC-BRITANIS-AKDENIZ-ROTTERDAM-ST. HELENA-EUGENIO C.-BLACK PRINCE-BLACK WATCH-R7-PILGRIM BELLE-REGAL EMPRESS-VICTORIA-REGATTA-MAASDAM-CARONIA-QUEEN MARY 2-EURODAM-NIEUW AMSTERDAM-MARINA-RIVIERA-QUEEN ELIZABETH
Fort Worth, TX (via Melbourne, Australia)
54 Posts
Joined Feb 2018
I haven't taken my first cruise yet, but part of the appeal of Cunard is the formality of it; a throwback to another era. I like the idea of dressing for dinner, even for an informal night, and have been looking forward to it. It would be a shame if "smart attire" means that jeans will be allowed after 6pm.
San Francisco, CA
1,287 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Aside from the issue itself (I have the tux right here and I ain't afraid to use it!)
...why am I not afraid that we have cryptic and incomplete info on the website and total silence from Cunard?

Other lines would coordinate the reveal and then would have a flashy positive PR campaign promoting this great change. (Again, I personally don't think changing the code would be great, but the spin would push it that way)

- Mark
Vale of Glamorgan
4,154 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Bell Boy
Stop Press !!! I had drinks in the Commodore Bar last night ( Q. Vic 26th March) with Angus Struthers , he informs me there is no change in the dress code descriptions. Hopefully, all this sounds like a glitch in the system.
I hope so
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
152 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by kohl57
Not really. If you want to find someone who knows nothing about his company, talk to one of its "Senior Executives". If you really want to know what's going on, talk to the receptionist. There is no way someone just changed these descriptions like that from 17 June onwards without a reason. And "Smart Attire" is a dead giveaway. Oceania calls it "Country Club Casual" which means the YMCA to some.

I was on a Princess Cruise and they called it:

"Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.
  • Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men"
Unfortunately to one person smart casual meant a clean T-shirt.

We will have to wait for the new definitions to show up to see what it really means.

I do think if they really change the definitions it will be bad for Cumard. There will end up being no real difference between that line and any of the other mainstream Carnival cruise lines. Really dumb marketing mistake.
Shropshire
63 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
We are also on M22, I've been checking voyage personaliser daily to see what the upcoming formal nights might be as they are something we really enjoy. Perhaps some were interpreting "informal" to mean its dictionary definition, i.e. casual clothing. I quite like the "smart attire" description.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed - Queen Elizabeth, August 2015 (Mediterranean)
Sailed - Celebrity Eclipse, October 2016 (Spain, Portugal and Madeira)
Sailed - Queen Elizabeth, August 2017 (Mediterranean)
Gower Peninsula, Wales
3,093 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
So we have Informal, Gala Evenings AND Smart Attire! Three dress codes????
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gill

QM2 - June 2018
QM2 - March 2019
Ventura - February 2020
Southampton
124 Posts
Joined May 2007
Carnival UK (Cunard and P&O) have been overseen by Stein Kruse of Holland America Group since July so nothing should come as a shock. Dumbing down began made when management changed from Princess to P&O in autumn 2007. It's all about attracting the new demographic and profit.
USA
88 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
No... I think you have two. "Gala Evenings" and "Smart Attire". "Informal" is gone. "Smart Attire" I absolutely guarantee you will be along the lines of Princess Cruises (see the above posting by LB-NJ) which pretty much you wear whatever you darned please. And people do, too. I swear at least a dozen men come to the dining room on Oceania on any given evening wearing baseball caps. And that's going the regs for "Country Club Casual" one better at that.

Anyway, it reminds of the infamous sign, affixed to the bulkhead outside of CANBERRA's Atlantic Restaurant (the old Tourist Class one): "NO HAIR ROLLERS ALLOWED".
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Leicestershire, UK
1,280 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by cruiseluvva
No, 2 dress codes, Gala Evening and Smart Attire as far as I can tell, but no definitions as yet.
If they feel the need to change the name of the code I’m fairly sure it means that there will be a ‘dumbing down’ of the dress requirements otherwise what would be the point?
JMO
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Glenndale
Iowa
1,582 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I agree with kohl57 and Glenndale that the "Informal" designation is going away. I had the same reaction about three different dress codes when I saw our voyage M822 lists "Informal (Jacket Required)" for the first evening (June 17) and then "Gala Evening" or "Smart Attire" for the remaining evenings. However, I now interpret that first evening as just being a holdover from the current dress code designations and everything from then on will be called either "Gala Evening" or "Smart Attire".
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

152 Posts
Joined Oct 2017

Only 2 going forward,
Gala Evenings and Smart Attire.

No clue what "Gala Evenings" mean however I think Smart Attire may be a lessening of the dress code that was "Informal."

I could be wrong however, I do not think it is just a name change.