Putting luggage out on the last night...ughhh!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:56 AM.
San Diego County
412 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Once, we were looking for our bags in the terminal at the end of the cruise and found all but one - mine. We looked and looked, got help and was starting the procedure for lost luggage when I saw it in another section. A port worker had put my bag with an orange tag in the pink section. We try to pack light (even with our formal wear) have them do laundry (Elite) and carry our own bags off.

Cheers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Victoria, BC
409 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by Bemidji Ty
Once, we were looking for our bags in the terminal at the end of the cruise and found all but one - mine. We looked and looked, got help and was starting the procedure for lost luggage when I saw it in another section. A port worker had put my bag with an orange tag in the pink section. We try to pack light (even with our formal wear) have them do laundry (Elite) and carry our own bags off.

Cheers.
Same thing happened to us in January in San Pedro. The representatives were great helping, but I became extremely stressed as we had a fairly tight but easily doable schedule for flights. We (four of us hunting) finally found it in another room, wrong section; they'd confused bronze and gold. By the time we got out, the taxi line up was huge - more stress. We made the flight but I made sure the story was in my post cruise survey as the person helping us said the workers often get similar colours confused. They need to be more careful or change the colours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Emerald Princess: 23rd September Pacific Coastal
Emerald Princess: 24th September Classic California Coast
New Hampshire
6,282 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by voljeep
wondering if the Princess Platinum vacation insurance would cover that ??
Better get out the magnifier to read the small print!
Palm Springs, Calif
42,511 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I might add, I have luggage wraps with my CC name on it. Easy to spot in Airline or ship terminals if checked through
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Emerald Roll Call https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gS-4hT-Oz90AfTzr
& Allure Roll Call Sheets
Newport, South Wales, UK
2,769 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Or, someone could take your case off the baggage carousel at the airport without you realising and walk off with it. You seem OK with this process though. Or a baggage handler could steal from it, which is where a lot of thefts from suitcases occur.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sapphire Princess - Spain & France 5th May 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

Royal Princess - Western Caribbean & 3 night Miami Stay 5th Jan 2019
Island Princess - Pacific Wine Country & 3 night Seattle stay 24th April 2019

Coral Princess - Rio, Iguazu Falls, South America Cruise & Machu Picchu 20th Feb 2020

sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,848 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by sammybonny
On one cruise on the last night after putting out the luggage I realised my husbands cruise card wasnt in the cabin -- he had left it in his jacket pocket which was now in the suitcase. Fortunately the case was just being wheeled down the hallway with husband chasing after it in his shorts.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app
No problem. You could just have asked for another.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
Chico, California
11,407 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
They pick up the bags pretty quickly. On our last cruise my wife put one bag out in the hall and then came back to close up and put the next bag out. In the 2 minutes she was doing that the first bag had been picked up. All of our valuables and meds are in our hand carried bags so the most anybody would get is our clothing. It would be a major drag but nothing we couldn't recover from. The only time we have ever lost a bag was many years ago when my wife took a Greyhound bus to visit our daughter. The bus was at a stop where more people were boarding and my wife's bag disappeared. Greyhound offered compensation but it was extremely small and came nowhere near to covering the loss. We haven't really worried about it with Princess. I use a bright orange strap around my bags. My wife doesn't bother with it but her luggage isn't black (like so many bags) and she has never had a problem spotting it. As someone else mentioned, I am far more concerned with the airline baggage handlers and the baggage carousel than with the ship luggage handling.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Copenhagen, Denmark
247 Posts
Joined Nov 2014
Originally posted by susancruzs
I don't think about it at all. Been cruising since 1982, some 30+ cruises, 6 cruise lines, only thing in my bag is clothes and shoes. If someone wants it, have at it. I'm not a worrier, never have been concerned.
Never mind the clothes: My SUITCASE is valuable. And not replaceable. It's PURPLE!! I love it. They don't make it that color anymore.
Chico, California
11,407 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Originally posted by ditmar2007
Never mind the clothes: My SUITCASE is valuable. And not replaceable. It's PURPLE!! I love it. They don't make it that color anymore.
Perhaps not that same suitcase but there are purple bags available. I know Samsonite sells them in both hard and soft models. Luggage now seems to come in an amazing variety of colors. Some people are even getting wraps for their hard sided luggage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

Cambridgeshire
3,141 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
I put padlocks on every case. If the padlock is intact next time I see the bag, it probably has not been tampered with. Again I have a complete set of blue cases with a bold design on them. Luggage tags normally stay on the cases so you can check they are yours. If the cases get stolen, it's an insurance claim.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas, Queen Victoria
East Coast of Canada
324 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by newport dave
Or, someone could take your case off the baggage carousel at the airport without you realising and walk off with it. You seem OK with this process though. Or a baggage handler could steal from it, which is where a lot of thefts from suitcases occur.
A bold assumption...why the snarkiness?

It is just something I think about and wondered what others think....isn’t that the purpose of these boards? No need to be mean.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2016 Carnival Breeze - Western Caribbean, 2015 Crown Princess - Inside Passage/Glacier Bay
2015 Carnival Splendor -Eastern Caribbean, 2014 Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean
2013 Carnival Glory - Exotic Western Caribbean , 2012 Ruby Princess - Grand Mediterranean

1,388 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
lol I read the title and thought the same thing, it’s the worst part of the cruise because this means it’s almost over. Then I read the post and realized that’s not what they meant.

People at airports can do the same thing. That’s why you don’t put valuables in your checked bag. It’s the risk you take but in all my years cruising I have yet to see anyone complain about someone stealing their luggage from the hallway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival:
Miracle 2017 Mex Riviera, Conquest 2018 Eastern Caribbean

Celebrity:
Summit 2019 Southern Caribbean

DCL:
Wonder 2017 Caribbean

NCL:
Spirit 2010 Caribbean

Princess:
Ruby Princess 2017 Mex Riviera, Royal Princess 2016 Eastern Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Caribbean, Star Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2012 Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2010 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2007 Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2006 Caribbean

RCCL:
Oasis 2018 Eastern Caribbean

Windstar:
Wind Surf 2000 Caribbean
Newport, South Wales, UK
2,769 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by mcgratru
A bold assumption...why the snarkiness?
Well, you mentioned it had been out of your control on the ship. But its also out of your control at the airport. But, you didn't bring this up as a worry. So it's right to presume you were OK with that procedure..Not being snarky, just pointing out a valid point.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sapphire Princess - Spain & France 5th May 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

Royal Princess - Western Caribbean & 3 night Miami Stay 5th Jan 2019
Island Princess - Pacific Wine Country & 3 night Seattle stay 24th April 2019

Coral Princess - Rio, Iguazu Falls, South America Cruise & Machu Picchu 20th Feb 2020

5 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
We had our luggage taken at the end of our last cruise. Turns out it wasn't malicious, just an older couple who mistook our bag for theirs. They ended up returning it about 6 hours later and we picked it up the next morning. Now we always buy unusual-looking luggage!
East Coast of Canada
324 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
As a matter of fact, during many many travels, I am always at the carousel before the bags begin arriving.

And I think you could be nicer...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2016 Carnival Breeze - Western Caribbean, 2015 Crown Princess - Inside Passage/Glacier Bay
2015 Carnival Splendor -Eastern Caribbean, 2014 Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean
2013 Carnival Glory - Exotic Western Caribbean , 2012 Ruby Princess - Grand Mediterranean

Greenville, SC, USA
54,435 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by john watson
I put padlocks on every case. If the padlock is intact next time I see the bag, it probably has not been tampered with. Again I have a complete set of blue cases with a bold design on them. Luggage tags normally stay on the cases so you can check they are yours. If the cases get stolen, it's an insurance claim.

Regards John
Are your padlocks the kind that TSA can open? if not they will cut off the lock if they need to inspect the bag.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
Land of Bad Comedy
3,823 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
1) I leave my gold bullion at home

2) we carry on/off only no matter the length of cruise

3) lighter packing means you don’t bring additional items

4) if we buy something of value (intrinsic or monetary) we ship it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Work in Process
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,848 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by john watson

Regards John
And what if the locks are gone?
So what good do they do?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
louisiana
20 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
We buy the gaudiest, ugliest suitcases we can find. No one ever gets ours by mistake. If you see the burgundy suitcase with the big metallic gold elephants on it.....