Putting luggage out on the last night...ughhh!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:49 AM.
5,157 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Does anybody but me worry about someone putting something INTO the bag while unlocked in the passageway? I don't know how they would plan to retrieve it but I wouldn't want to have to explain to the police that the narcotics aren't mine.

I've had a three bad experiences with my luggage being taken off the ship and not being where it should be in the terminal. Once I stumbled on it off in a corner with a half dozen other bags on the way to put in a claim. Another time, it was located off in a side room but, in the process of searching, lost a paid for excursion I didn't make. Another time, it never did turn up while at the terminal and Celebrity was absolutely no help in finding it. Fortunately, we were staying overnight in Amsterdam and got a tremendous amount of help from the hotel and it was located in the port lost and found. Never mind in all three cases, disembarkation tags were still in place, ID tags in place, and on the inside of the unlocked suitcases, on top, was our itinerary which included hotels, air, phone numbers, etc.

I tote my own bags off now.
Richmond, Virginia
2,871 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Why is your bag unlocked in the passageway? Mine is always locked when I put it out. Never had a problem with them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lifetime member of the Goat Locker
We live on a small lake in rural Nebr.
7,783 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Never worried about it and not going to. Now, I don't really like the hassle of packing and getting the stuff out and the end of the cruise.

This is low on the list of worries--in fact, off the list.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi
Cambridgeshire
3,141 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by paul929207
Are your padlocks the kind that TSA can open? if not they will cut off the lock if they need to inspect the bag.
No they are not the kind TSA can open, I go with the cutting them off scenario and then I know they have been manually inspected. Most cruises undertaken are non fly cruises. Incidentally if you find your cases have arrived in the cabin at start of cruise and you have lost your key the crew will cut the padlocks off for you. I have seen them with bolt cutters helping passengers.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas, Queen Victoria
14 Miles From LA Port
2,700 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Read the account on these boards years ago. Caribbean cruise out of Miami. On last night, a group (gang) of wonderful teenagers roamed the halls gathering suitcases and proceeded to throw them over board. Missing luggage not discovered until pax, in mass complained about missing bags. The guilty had long left the area. NEVER PACK ANYTHING OF VALUE, CARRY ON/OFF
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anything that doesn't kill you,,, just hurts a hell of a lot
Sea Princess 2/2002 Mexico, Star Princess 2/2003 Mexico (2nd time), Carnival Pride 10/2004 Mexico (3rd time), Diamond Princess 5/2005 Alaska, Sapphire Princess 12/2005 Mexico (4th time), Dawn Princess 11/2006 Mexico (5th time), Caribbean Princess 6/2007 W. Caribbean, Golden Princess 11/2007 Mexico (6th time), Sapphire Princess 11/2008 Mexico (7th time), Star Princess 6/2009 Alaska, Mariner of the Seas 12/2009 Mexico (8th time), Sapphire Princess 12/2010 Mexico (9th time), Coral Princess 10/2011 Trans Panama Canal, Ruby Princess 4/23/2019 Alaska
13,631 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
There was an episode on Disney where kids roamed the halls placing ice cream bars in suitcases....which of course melted into a gunky sludge.

Unfortunately we are not all able bodied and able to carry off all our luggage and assist family members as needed. That makes placing things out the night before basically a necessity. We need to keep the bag with the braces and other medical equipment, which means the one with the clothes has to go out. She goes in the wheelchair and I manage the walker with a couple carry on bags.
I come from a land down under
26,034 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
If they want me dirty jocks and smelly socks, good luck to them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

859 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by TwoCruisers
Several years ago when we were looking for our luggage in the warehouse we only found one of two bags. We looked everywhere and even got a Princess Representative to help us. When the warehouse was emptied out our bag was still missing. We were just about ready to fill out a missing bag report when someone returned with our missing bag. They had mistakenly taken it thinking it was theirs. They didn’t realize their mistake until it was being placed into the luggage compartment of a bus. Our bag had brightly colored ribbons on the handle. How can anyone take a bag without checking to see if it is theirs?
Same thing happened to us,only at the terminal in NYC after disembarking the NCL Breakaway. Our bag had a bright orange luggage tag on it. Luckily the person realized it was the wrong bag when they were putting it in the car parked in the lot at the terminal.
I guess we do not have much luck with NCL cruises out of NYC.
A number of years ago, my DH and I were on the Dreamward. We had a female steward. One night ,as we were going to dinner, she complimented me on my outfit.
OK.
We packed our bags for disembarkation and they were taken from the passageway the night before we left the ship.
Before putting the bags outside, we did a clean sweep of the cabin, including drawers,closets and bathroom. The only items left were those we would need for the next day.
When we returned home, the outfit that the stewardess complimented me about was missing !
Was it coincidence ???
Palm Springs, Calif
42,511 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
In our last two cruises, it was getting more difficult for my husband to handle his larger suitcase, so began packing nothing but the carry On's and we did fine. I fully understand when assisting others be it a wheel chair or using a walker, you can't be dealing with pulling luggage off the ship at the same time so easier to put out at night and get a Porter to assist you once off.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: GLea472968 at aol dot com
Alternate : Lea dot [email protected] dot between the Lea&gaye

Emerald Roll Call https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvfqBeEKG865gS-4hT-Oz90AfTzr
& Allure Roll Call Sheets
13,631 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by Desert Cruizers
In our last two cruises, it was getting more difficult for my husband to handle his larger suitcase, so began packing nothing but the carry On's and we did fine. I fully understand when assisting others be it a wheel chair or using a walker, you can't be dealing with pulling luggage off the ship at the same time so easier to put out at night and get a Porter to assist you once off.
Exactly, I learned long ago to get my stuff into a carry on and a backpack. But that still means daughter will likely have a standard suitcase + 2 carry ons (one for medical stuff and one for normal stuff). The only thing that works for us it placing the standard case out.
14,701 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by MJSailors
Same thing happened to us,only at the terminal in NYC after disembarking the NCL Breakaway. Our bag had a bright orange luggage tag on it. Luckily the person realized it was the wrong bag when they were putting it in the car parked in the lot at the terminal.
I guess we do not have much luck with NCL cruises out of NYC.
A number of years ago, my DH and I were on the Dreamward. We had a female steward. One night ,as we were going to dinner, she complimented me on my outfit.
OK.
We packed our bags for disembarkation and they were taken from the passageway the night before we left the ship.
Before putting the bags outside, we did a clean sweep of the cabin, including drawers,closets and bathroom. The only items left were those we would need for the next day.
When we returned home, the outfit that the stewardess complimented me about was missing !
Was it coincidence ???
I am still looking for a pair of heels...that are easy to miss when you bring so shoes, my female attendant mentioned more than once how beautiful they were and that she wore the same size as me.....

We'll never know, we'll we......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
L RI
2018 cruises completed Alaska Ruby..... May. Pacific Coastal Ruby...Mar.-Apr.
2017 cruises completed MR Emerald... Nov.-Dec. Scandinavian. Crown... Aug-Sept.... South East Asia...Majestic..June-July... Caribbean...Anthem..Mar.- April ...South America... Crown.. Jan.-Feb
Still favor land trips best, but as I log more sea and river days on ships and hours on CC , I might become a "Cruise Lover" sooner than I think or am I already?
1983 1ST Ocean Liner Cruise Caribbean, Carnivale
2006 River Cruise China, Viking Century
My avatar is of a Marine Iguana the most amazing reptile ever, indigenous to the Galapagos......swam with his friends in the Galapagos islands, while traveling on X's Xpedition in 2009 & 2010.....take time to enjoy experiences with nature and it's underwater wonders.

Denver, CO
1,598 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Nope - we worry more about catching a bug on the plane than an assault on our luggage. To help lessen he likelihood of someone mistakenly taking our bags we HAVE bought these weird green suitcases and always use bright luggage straps which not only help assure they stay closed, but also makes them very easy to spot... the vibrant handle-wraps and luggage tags helps as well. Like others we make sure we keep meds, documents in a carryon backpack. Use EZCheck where we have that option.
Riverside, CA
3,055 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by TwoCruisers
Several years ago when we were looking for our luggage in the warehouse we only found one of two bags. We looked everywhere and even got a Princess Representative to help us. When the warehouse was emptied out our bag was still missing. We were just about ready to fill out a missing bag report when someone returned with our missing bag. They had mistakenly taken it thinking it was theirs. They didn’t realize their mistake until it was being placed into the luggage compartment of a bus. Our bag had brightly colored ribbons on the handle. How can anyone take a bag without checking to see if it is theirs?
Had this happen at an airport once. The people checking the tags swore up and down that no one got out with my bag. I rolled a bag up to them and told them whoever's name was on this bag had mine. They still insisted it could not have happened. Unfortunately the tag did not have an address or phone. Next day I got the call from Delta and picked it up. Airport was next to work location. Took the time to walk over and find the "security" guard and showed her the bag that was mine that had gone by her. She had nothing to say.

As for on the ship, have always left them out with no problem and never had one taken in the port.
However, my DW when cruising with her friend did manage to lock themselves out of the room at 1 AM in their nighties when putting the luggage out late. (I think there was to much alcohol and club time involved.) After very embarrassing conversation, they did get back into the room. Lesson here is to make sure the door can not close behind you when in the hall!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
EMAIL me if you dare (I don't bite) In Google Chrome, if the email link does not take you to your email page, just right click the link, select copy email. In Explorer select Properties and copy the address.

Future:
Coral Princess Pacific Rim Sept to Nov 2018
Royal Princess Mexican Riviera April B2B with Royal Princess Coastal Wine Cruise May 2019
Princess Only:
Ruby Princess Alaska 2018: Crown Princess Coastal 2016; Star Princess 2016 South America; Caribbean Princess 2015 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2015 West Coast Getaways; Ruby Princess 2014 Canada/New England; Crown Princess 2014 Coastal; Golden Princess 2013 Coastal; Royal Princess 2013 Inaugural Grand Med; Sapphire Princess 2012 Mexico; Crown Princess 2010 Iceland/Norway; Golden Princess 2009 Coastal; Star Princess 2009 Sydney to LA; Star Princess 2009 Alaska; Sapphire Princess 2009 Coastal; Island Princess 2008 Panama Canal; Golden Princess 2008 Mexico; Golden Princess 2007 Mexico; Regal Princess 2007 (Last Sailing) Hawaii ; Island Princess 2005 Hawaii; Star Princess 2003 Mexico; Princess 2000 Canada/New England; Star Princess 1995 Caribbean; Princess 1995 Europe; Royal Princess 1994 Caribbean; Star Princess 1993 Alaska;
Others:
Northern Europe Fr, Ir, UK, Nor, Den, Bel; Pacific Coastal (3); Bermuda; Mexico (2); Alaska
Chelsea MA
5,240 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
One time the color tag fell off. The staff brings the suitcase to an area with no color tags on them.
So now I always put a little clear tape on the color tag.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nebraska
1,960 Posts
Joined May 2011
I don't have anything i'd care if I lost and there isn't anything in there anyone would want. Guess I'll risk it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chelsea MA
5,240 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by LoriPhil
Clear tape on the tag is a great idea!
Hi LoriPhil,
Margie told me to do it LOL.
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
415 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by LDVinNC
I hate it, too - but not because I am particularly worried about theft. I am always afraid I will put some essential item in the bags to be collected - despite double and triple checking - and I will miss that item overnight or in the morning. I guess I am somewhat obsessive!
Last cruise I forgot to leave out my shoes. Thought I was going to have to wear my Princess slippers! Luckily my son had an extra pair in his carry-on. And luckily they weren’t way too big for Mom!
Spokane, WA
452 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Embarrassing to tell my story but it’s kind of funny. Went to dinner last night of cruise, came back later (champagne may have been involved) and determined I didn’t need the clothes I was wearing or the ones that were sitting out. Wore my jammies to bed and realized when I woke the next day that was all I had left to wear off the ship. Clothes were gone. Wore my jammies to LAX and changed there. Needless to say I am ultra paranoid that I have my clothes out and a backup option so I don’t experience that again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GrammySpo

Crown Princess, Caribbean, 2010 (7 days, March)
Emerald Princess, Caribbean, 2011 (10 days, April)
Golden Princess, Hawaii, (14 days, March)
Island Princess, Panama Canal, (14 days, December)
Golden Princess, Alaska, (7 days, May)