Royal Princess - gym info please

Twogaterz

DH and I have cruised extensively but never on Princess Cruises. We are doing a round the UK cruise later next month on Royal Princess and I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of the equipment in the gym and indeed classes on offer.

I regularly do a bootcamp and weight training so am hoping there might be some good Olympic bars and weights as well as more than just Pilates and yoga classes as was suggested on one UK website. I’m booking a personal training session but knowing in advance what is there would be helpful especially as my PT at home can design a training programme for the holiday (I know who wants to train on holiday but I want to try to stick to some sort of routine!)

Thanks in anticipation!

DH and I have cruised extensively but never on Princess Cruises. We are doing a round the UK cruise later next month on Royal Princess and I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of the equipment in the gym and indeed classes on offer.

I regularly do a bootcamp and weight training so am hoping there might be some good Olympic bars and weights as well as more than just Pilates and yoga classes as was suggested on one UK website. I’m booking a personal training session but knowing in advance what is there would be helpful especially as my PT at home can design a training programme for the holiday (I know who wants to train on holiday but I want to try to stick to some sort of routine!)

Thanks in anticipation!

Here's a load of photos of the gym and equipment, weights, etc.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-princess-400/fitness-center-229678/

There are also hundreds of other photos, and videos, of the gym onboard - quick Google search brings them up.

There's also a running/walking circuit up top with various exercise equipment along the way that can help.

I'm sure you'll have no problems maintains a routine..

Here's a load of photos of the gym and equipment, weights, etc.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-princess-400/fitness-center-229678/

There are also hundreds of other photos, and videos, of the gym onboard - quick Google search brings them up.

There's also a running/walking circuit up top with various exercise equipment along the way that can help.

I'm sure you'll have no problems maintains a routine..

Thanks Reedprincess. I’d seen the photos and saw the ‘machines’ and dumbbells but couldn’t see any bars hence my query. I have looked at some videos but not of the gym yet.

If you're looking for free-weight barbells, you will most likely be limited to a Smith Machine. On all our Princess cruises, I've only seen one or two ships that had a couple barbells with fixed weights (meaning not adjustable). They usually have a wide selection of dumbbells, a variety of cable pulley weight equipment, plus a Smith Machine.

I've seen lots of dumbbells but I can't recall ever seeing barbells other than in a Smith Machine. Lots of weight machines that can work the same muscles, but I know for a purist it's not the same! I feel like I have seen a "boot camp" type of class on offer (for a fee) but I've never taken a for fee class at the gym. We love working out in the gym and can usually find something there for us.

Plenty of treadmills and I had no trouble getting a treadmill even early in the morning. I cannot tell you what weights they have because I did not use any. Classes included spinning, yoga and TRX. Shane and Jonathan were great spinning coaches.