Seasick remedy!

I have cruised 2x and been sick both times to varying degrees. Crossing from San Francisco to Hawaii I used the transderm patch and meclizine. I could not stay awake and had no energy. Once we got to the islands I was fine and didn't need anything. Granted the seas were rough during crossing with the promenade closed because of the 20-24 foot swells. On a Caribbean cruise I had a day or 2 where I just felt nauseous and "not right" and just suffered through it. We are heading out on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise and need help! Hubby is so excited and I am not looking forward to the possible prospect of seasickness. I hate feeling sleepy, but hate the nausea, too! I don't know if it was the patch or the meclizine or both. I have seen the sea bands and also the electronic ones that send pulses to the nerve. Anyone have recommendations? Thank you in advance!

I am surprised that you used both. Did you use them concurrently? If so that would be a mistake I would have used one or the other. If you did consider using one.

As to other remedies.

The sea bands work for about 50% of the people according to the manufacturer so you could try it but I would have a back up plan.

Another remedy that works for some are ginger tablets.

Each of us is different and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another person.

Keith

Thank you both so much! I think I took ginger pills, too! That was long ago. Yes, Keith, I took both simultaneously because once we sailed past the point it hit me hard and just got worse and worse. I had never used either before. Have never touched a patch since. I did take 1/2 of a meclizine on a whale watching tour out of Boston and was afraid I'd get sick, but was alone and didn't want to pass out. I don't remember it making me sleepy so maybe that is my answer to which is less sleep inducing. I want to stay away from whatever knocked me out.

Thank you both so much! I think I took ginger pills, too! That was long ago. Yes, Keith, I took both simultaneously because once we sailed past the point it hit me hard and just got worse and worse. I had never used either before. Have never touched a patch since. I did take 1/2 of a meclizine on a whale watching tour out of Boston and was afraid I'd get sick, but was alone and didn't want to pass out. I don't remember it making me sleepy so maybe that is my answer to which is less sleep inducing. I want to stay away from whatever knocked me out.

I think that was a mistake to take both at once. You can consult with your physician about that.

The other factor is when did you take them. Did you wait until after you were not feeling well to take the patch. The patch needs a few hours to be effective and the mesizine is not effective once you are sick. It actually makes things far worse.

If you don't want to do either one I would bring multiple remedies with you. Yes, no harm to get the sea bands, and I do think that Ginger capsules would be a good approach and I do believe that a green apple and some saltine crackers can help as well.

Other things include booking a room that is mid ship and on a lower deck and if the seas get rough to get into a public room that is as mid ship as possible and on a lower deck and if you can find one with a high ceiling that is ideal as well.

Keith

You can check the ReliefBand. My wife was using it before till not needed anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get awful motion sickness as well, and was told by many to start the medication the day before! It worked and now I’m an avowed cruiser!

I have cruised 2x and been sick both times to varying degrees. Crossing from San Francisco to Hawaii I used the transderm patch and meclizine. I could not stay awake and had no energy. Once we got to the islands I was fine and didn't need anything. Granted the seas were rough during crossing with the promenade closed because of the 20-24 foot swells. On a Caribbean cruise I had a day or 2 where I just felt nauseous and "not right" and just suffered through it. We are heading out on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise and need help! Hubby is so excited and I am not looking forward to the possible prospect of seasickness. I hate feeling sleepy, but hate the nausea, too! I don't know if it was the patch or the meclizine or both. I have seen the sea bands and also the electronic ones that send pulses to the nerve. Anyone have recommendations? Thank you in advance!

Likely the patch is what made you sleepy. Normally meclizine (Bonine) doesn't do that but everyone is different. You might try a couple of days of meclizine before you leave to see how it effects you.

We get the acupuncture treatment on the ship for seasickness, it has worked like a charm both times. We did the patch behind the ear a couple of years but got tired of the dry mouth side effects from it. I tried to get the treatment at home before we left but it did not seem to work as well. I could immediately tell the difference from the treatment onboard which makes sense when you consider they specialize in motion sickness treatments there more so than the acupuncturist we tried near home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have tried everything .The ONLY thing that really works for me is Bonine,1 to 2 tablets and hour before the ship leaves .

Doubling down with both the patch and the Meclizine at the same time was a big mistake. And the patch can have other very unpleasant side effects. Many doctors will prescribe it only when other measures have failed. Please consult either your physician or pharmacist for options that would be most appropriate for you. The best choice will vary from person to person.

And since you know that you are susceptible to motion sickness, it would be prudent to begin any medications a day before you sail, and then continue to take them (as prescribed) on a regular basis, rather than waiting until the nausea sets in. Most motion sickness meds work better as a preventative than a curative. For example, I begin taking my Meclizine the night before embarkation and continue until a day or 2 after disembarkation (it helps with mal de debarquement, too). If I wait until I feel queasy, it can take a couple of days before I feel well again. Taking the meclizine at bedtime (its a once a day pill) also helps reduce any drowsiness problems, although it's usually not a problem for most people.

Thanks everyone! I will test the meclizine one day and see how I feel the next day. Then use it starting the night before. I will also try the other natural things if needed. How successful are the seabirds and easyboy, the relief bands worked pretty well?

Hubby already booked the room and we are neither low or middle.

Thanks everyone! I will test the meclizine one day and see how I feel the next day. Then use it starting the night before. I will also try the other natural things if needed. How successful are the seabirds and easyboy, the relief bands worked pretty well?

Hubby already booked the room and we are neither low or middle.

Are you on coral princess nov 21 from Ft Lauderdale. We are[emoji3][emoji568]

I use full strength Dramamine. The non-drowsy version just doesn't work for me. I find I'm not that sleepy if I keep active (however it works wonders at night with a snoring cabin mate. :D;p) Agree with taking them before you feel sick.

I also keep the red and white peppermint candies handy. They are great for a quick fix for the queasiness. We do a lot of snorkel excursions and some of the other snorkelers are always grateful when I hand them out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Meclazine non-drowsy, one tablet twice daily 5 days before boarding the ship, then twice daily, every twelve hours during the cruise, continued after you return home for a couple of days. My wife, an RN, had trouble on her first cruise, and started this schedule 20 years ago and hasn't had a problem since.;)