Fredrickstead Post Hurricane Damage?

LkGcruiser

They have had damage to the island and dock. You can go on you tube and look at the damage to the island. We are on Reflection in Dec and got switched from spending two days in St Maarten to now going to St Kitts and St Croix. Celebrity is telling us today that St. Croix is on a tentative basis right now. I would prefer to go to a different port since there is not much to do or see in St. Croix. We will probably find out when we sail on Dec 8th! Let me know how it want? Have a great cruise ! Bob

I know! We’re on the Summit November 18 cruise. They already altered our itinerary but still kept St Croix. I wouldn’t be surprised if they decide to cancel it, as today Celebrity is stating they are still assessing St Croix.

As an annual visitor to St. Croix for 20 years and a 'snowbird' there for the past three years, I have to disagree with fielddreamer that there is little to do on the island. Somehow we keep busy for 10 weeks every year :)

Glamourgirl, the port is in Frederiksted and the small town is just at the end of the pier. Vendors will be set up on cruise days to sell their wares and there are some shops to poke into and buy souvenirs and other items.

The island sustained quite a bit of damage thanks to Maria with the Southwest/West end sustaining the worst of it. There are many without roofs or badly damaged roofs. There is no doubt that by November or December much will have been cleaned up (downtown Frederiksted has already been cleared of debris) but there will still be a lot of tree, home and power line damage to see.

Power has been restored to the downtown area of Christiansted with most restaurants back up serving meals during curfew hours (which are being extended with each passing day). Frederiksted right now has limited power and water service but restaurants like Pollys on the Pier are open. Rainbow Beach/Rhythms and Sandcastles on the Beach are back up with limited service at this point.

As for things to do, Buck Island is a gorgeous trip to take and Caribbean Sea Adventures and Big Beards are already taking tours out there again. I cannot say how the reefs look after the hurricane, but there is no more gorgeous beach than Turtle Beach on Buck Island. Folks enjoy ATVing with Geckos Island Adventures and Jeep tours with Tan Tan Tours. I think a really fun thing to do would be to rent a car and take an island tour out to Point Udall and then back along the Northern coastline from east to west. But more road clearing will need to be done before you can do that efficiently.

Crucians are a resilient bunch as are the folks who are transplants there and they are pulling together to get up and running for the winter season as they know it is their lifeblood in many cases.

I would give it until late October/early November to make definitive plans for your excursions as much more will be known about the condition of the island.