One Day in Colombo Sri Lanka

Gaznjo

I have been busy googling trying to find information about private tours in sri lanka.... haven't found alot...

I figure this one will be a new port of call for some cruise companies... so has anyone got any information they would like to share...

I can only find information about embarkation on here and it is epecially hard with the search function playing up... lol

many thanks

Joanne

Edited by packetau

It might be one where the ships tour could be the go?

When we were there in 2005 , we had armed guards and the major intersections had soldiers barracaded behind sandbags with machine guns at the ready.

It was a half day highlights tour that included a cultural show and a set lunch.

I trust things have improved radically from then.:rolleyes:

If your ship offers tours of Sri Lanka, I recommend using the service.

The reason is, that traffic in Sri LAnka, especcially around the Colombo area and around the bigger cities is a complete shambles and utterly unpredictable.

A 2-line road is turned into a 4 1/2 lane road by trucks, busses, private cars and the countless Tuk-Tuks.

For example, during my last visit I had to get between CMB and appointments at a company 4 times in 4 days. The same ride took 1 hour at best (for 45 kms) to 3.5 hrs at worst.

The infrastructure is definately 3rd world, service in general is slow and not too good, the food is quite spicy and a symphony in yellows and browns... :rolleyes:

With a ship's tour you are at least assured that they will not leave you behind if the group gets stuck somewhere!!!!

Things to see (if your ship tours offer these):

1. The elephant orphanage and the bathng of the elephants in the river (that happens twice daily, late morning and early afternoon)!!!

THIS is really, really nice. Especially if you ave kids with you.

2. The main tea growing areas around Kandy and Nuwara Eliya.

A nice drive thru the hills and you will actually get good tea.

(Hotels and restaurants in town and along the coast will give you nearly always some cheap and nasty tea bags!!!)

In Kandy, there is a nice enough temple complex with one of Buddah's teeth.

3. Colombo town.

Dirty and very little of interest apart from a few temples.

4. Beach day

Nice enough beaches, but the sea can be quite choppy. And take a long stick to fight off the vendors who want to sell you stuff.

Take a fist full of local currency or 1US bills for tipping (for "donations" at the temple for "blessings", for the guy who minds your shoes when you enter temples etc, etc)

Note that nearly all places will have two sets of prices. One for local people and one (a=usually around 10 times the local rate) for "foreign passport". I'd like to try this at home Ice cream, Local's 1 scoop $ 1.-, Sri Lankan's 1 scoop $ 10.-. I'd be taken to the United Nations for discremination... :)

It might be one where the ships tour could be the go?

When we were there in 2005 , we had armed guards and the major intersections had soldiers barracaded behind sandbags with machine guns at the ready.

It was a half day highlights tour that included a cultural show and a set lunch.

I trust things have improved radically from then.:rolleyes:

thanks dave that is looking awfully good at the moment... I guess we can bite the bullet and do one :eek::D:eek:

We were in Sri Lanka in 1985, for 3 weeks, right in the middle of the civil war. That was an experience. The week after we left a BA plane was blown up.

But we weren't allowed to travel to Kandy or the Highlands that time but husband did a couple of years ago. Stunning country it is. They also went to the Elephant Orphanage which was brilliant. If the ship does tours to these places then go with the ship tour as these are some distance away and the traffic is manic.

There is also an excellent jewellery store in the Trades Centre building near the port. Sapphires are other precious stones are mined in Sri Lanka and are excellent value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pushka

We just received our paperwork for a cruise ending in Colombo in February. Of interest is the admonition to independent disembarking passengers that regular taxis are not allowed inside the port's gates. They advise arrangements to be made 72 hours in advance with a tour agency. The agency listed is Gemini Tours & Travels located in Colombo. I googled them at gemini@eureka.lk and they offer day tours for ship passengers. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I have booked city walks colombo for our upcoming cruise. They will pick up inside the port. They asked for our names and ship's name. They offer half day and full day walking tours in Colombo.

I have also contacted http://www.n2travels.asia/green_colombo.html from which I got an offer, too. She offers day tours in Colombo but also tours (one day and longer) in Sri Lanka. She is very kind and answered immediately on my email. This is guide + driver in airconditioned car.

I have been busy googling trying to find information about private tours in sri lanka.... haven't found alot...

I figure this one will be a new port of call for some cruise companies... so has anyone got any information they would like to share...

I can only find information about embarkation on here and it is epecially hard with the search function playing up... lol

many thanks

Joanne

When are you going? Is that a call on your Ocean Princess cruise? If so, we will be there on the Ocean Princess in October, going from Rome to Singapore to Sydney. Whoever goes first pass on anything they learn.

There is also an excellent jewellery store in the Trades Centre building near the port. Sapphires are other precious stones are mined in Sri Lanka and are excellent value.

Jewellery .... did someone mention jewellery.....

where is this .... got to find it now...

When are you going? Is that a call on your Ocean Princess cruise? If so, we will be there on the Ocean Princess in October, going from Rome to Singapore to Sydney. Whoever goes first pass on anything they learn.

Paul no this is on our Grand Europe cruise on the dawn princess..... we leave July but don't get to colombo till September on the way home...

wow everyone thankyou for this great information....

Joanne

Jewellery .... did someone mention jewellery.....

where is this .... got to find it now...

Sri Lanka is very well known for its gems and sapphires.

I found the jewellery box. Wijaya Gems. Shop no 34. The Gallery. East low block. World Trade Centre. Colombo D1. Tel 0115-358003. Wijayagems.com.

But really, they are everywhere in Colombo. I'll upload a photo if I can.

CB93CE17-4EAB-4F3E-A2DE-7BE3FA3B3655-2066-0000037753AE8088_zps5f1aa34d.jpg

Edited by Pushka

My son was born in Sri Lanka. We adopted him when he was 6 weeks old. He's now 27. My hubby took him back on his 21st birthday. They bought this ring for me while they were there! It's very special to me, as is Sri Lanka. We were there in 1985, right in the middle of the civil war. But well worth the risk to get him :)

Edited by Pushka

What a wonderful keepsake and lovely story....

Yes indeed. And as I wanted to insure it, it was revalued here in Australia. Lets say, it's value for insurance was around 500% more than what they paid. So the lads were pretty pleased with their investment too. :)

Edited by Pushka

• 4 years later...

We just did a segment of a world cruise that stopped in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I also had a terrible time locating much information about Colombo prior to the cruise. After searching for hours, I found a private tour guide in Colombo that took us everywhere the ships tours offered, and more - for about 1/3 (maybe 1/4) the price. I don't want to say how much in case it has changed, but it was crazy reasonable. The guide's name is Dilhan. His tour company is Dilhan's Awesome Adventures. The website is DilhansAwesomeAdventures.com / phone is 94 71 300 1374. He is listed on TourHQ and has a few reviews on TripAdvisor. He was excellent. Oh my gosh, beyond excellent. Perfect English. Knows everybody. Not pushy at all. Great sense of humor. Bought us lunch! (no kidding) We have taken 54 cruises so far and this was one of our very favorite port days. He will take you anywhere you want to go. If you don't know where you want to go, just let him take you around. Sri Lanka was our biggest surprise on this cruise. We had no idea what to expect. We absolutely loved it and want to go back. The port is seriously 'lacking' but after you get out of the port, it's a fun place. Contact Dilhan. He is really wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...
We had a brilliant tuk tuk tour with Shane when we called on Azamara in April - I can thoroughly recommend them

http://www.subagaman.com

Thank you for this recommendation! I contacted them and received a response within a few hours. One of my concerns was that the day we are there will be a full moon holiday and many things will be closed. They assured me there will be plenty to see regardless. I appreciate they are willing to work the holiday. (We will be on the Azamara Journey)

Kathleen

• 3 months later...
We just did a segment of a world cruise that stopped in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I also had a terrible time locating much information about Colombo prior to the cruise. After searching for hours, I found a private tour guide in Colombo that took us everywhere the ships tours offered, and more - for about 1/3 (maybe 1/4) the price. I don't want to say how much in case it has changed, but it was crazy reasonable. The guide's name is Dilhan. His tour company is Dilhan's Awesome Adventures. The website is DilhansAwesomeAdventures.com / phone is 94 71 300 1374. He is listed on TourHQ and has a few reviews on TripAdvisor. He was excellent. Oh my gosh, beyond excellent. Perfect English. Knows everybody. Not pushy at all. Great sense of humor. Bought us lunch! (no kidding) We have taken 54 cruises so far and this was one of our very favorite port days. He will take you anywhere you want to go. If you don't know where you want to go, just let him take you around. Sri Lanka was our biggest surprise on this cruise. We had no idea what to expect. We absolutely loved it and want to go back. The port is seriously 'lacking' but after you get out of the port, it's a fun place. Contact Dilhan. He is really wonderful.

Thanks so much for this, we are visiting in March on Sapphire Princess so I am now starting my research.

My son was born in Sri Lanka. We adopted him when he was 6 weeks old. He's now 27. My hubby took him back on his 21st birthday. They bought this ring for me while they were there! It's very special to me, as is Sri Lanka. We were there in 1985, right in the middle of the civil war. But well worth the risk to get him :)

What special memories you have of Sri Lanka, your son.

When our P&O ship called at Ceylon in 1970, passengers boarded who were escaping the troubles brewing even then.

Can I just add we were in Colombo earlier this year and booked tuk tuk safari.... we had 4 tuk tuks in convoy and hag a great day...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

Do you have details of the company that provided the tuk tuk safari please? We'll be in Colombo in December.

Thanks